Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

helping each other

helping each other

Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:19 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: helping each other

Cranni/Denise, I think it's a great idea. I'm personally happy to help out if anyone requires any info re the Bayside area in Brisbane or unbiased advice re places to stay that are reasonably priced when setting up etc, however Im not ready to have anyone stay...so sod off Soapy

Another thing that crossed my mind was that most of us have emigrated here to "live"...no....I mean really live and feel "alive" ie to visit as much of Aus as possible before we all go to the big place in the sky. Yet how many of us actually get to see anywhere other than where we settle?

Most of us find the cost of travel expensive and anyways, why pay to stay in hotels when we can house swap at the fraction of the cost? And let's face it, some people live in lovely parts of Aus and how brilliant would it be to experience other places

Anyways, what crossed my mind was maybe a site where we could do holiday swaps perhaps? This could enable people to travel all over Aus by swapping houses for an agreed time period and maybe even consider a bond type situation if people think it appropriate?

At the end of the day, a lot of us on Expats form friendships and are sensible enough to build trusting relationships. Yes, there will always be casualties, but then that's down to the individuals to "draw up agreements" so to speak or maybe choose people who are like minded? For the majority, it could be a great, inexpensive, cost effective and realistic way of seeing different parts of Australia.....a fantastic place to live, never mind visit!

Anyways, it's 7pm, it Friday..... and I've had a few so maybe when I sober up this will not be a good idea eh...LOL

But for now, what does everyone else fink?
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:24 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I think it sounds like areally good idea. Being one of the newbies having a bit of a tough time with the 'lost' feeling etc it would be good to see some faces. Going to the New Farm meet on Sunday so that should help. A contacts list would be really useful too.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
That's a very kind offer - we will need a minibus though I think! 2 adults, 2 kids and about twenty cases by the look of it!

You'll have to let me know if you want anything picked up in England, California, Hawaii, Rarotonga/Tahiti (haven't decided which yet) or New Zealand!

Packet of burger rings and some pineapple lumps anyone?

Cheers

Buzzy
Buzzy

are you doing a round the world trip on the way as we were gonna do the same or are you jesting. Anyway if you are did you get a good deal on the flight as the way we see it is that you get a round the world ticket and the n you have the ticket back for a holiday in 12 months. Wonder if anyone else has done it this way

Mick
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:37 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very kind offer - we will need a minibus though I think! 2 adults, 2 kids and about twenty cases by the look of it!

You'll have to let me know if you want anything picked up in England, California, Hawaii, Rarotonga/Tahiti (haven't decided which yet) or New Zealand!

Packet of burger rings and some pineapple lumps anyone?

Cheers

Buzzy
We will probably be needing a second car before you arrive so will bring both cars ie Load up the girls in the Volvo and head off to the pub for a quick cold one enroute.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: helping each other

Originally Posted by mickagnew
Buzzy

are you doing a round the world trip on the way as we were gonna do the same or are you jesting. Anyway if you are did you get a good deal on the flight as the way we see it is that you get a round the world ticket and the n you have the ticket back for a holiday in 12 months. Wonder if anyone else has done it this way

Mick
Don't know about RTW - will see what the difference is. We can do LHR-LAX-HNL-PAP/RAR-AKL-CHC-MEL on one one-way ticket with Air New Zealand, will be buying it in about September for a May 1st departure.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:40 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about RTW - will see what the difference is. We can do LHR-LAX-HNL-PAP/RAR-AKL-CHC-MEL on one one-way ticket with Air New Zealand, will be buying it in about September for a May 1st departure.

Cheers

Buzzy
How long are you intending to stay in NZ? We might pop over about the same time

Kiwi
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:42 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: helping each other

Originally Posted by thebears
We will probably be needing a second car before you arrive so will bring both cars ie Load up the girls in the Volvo and head off to the pub for a quick cold one enroute.
Sounds dreadful!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:44 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebears
How long are you intending to stay in NZ? We might pop over about the same time

Kiwi
We'll be in NZ for 3-4 weeks I reckon. Based at the outlaws in Hokitika, but also visiting a plethora of rellies in Canterbury and Otago. Hoping to get some skiing in, probably at Mt Hutt.

(Sorry we have hijacked the thread! Maybe we should continue via PM Kiwi?)

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Cheers

Buzzy
Buzzy

Dont mind if I ask how much the flights are coming out at for that itinery?

Mick
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:02 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by mickagnew
Buzzy

Dont mind if I ask how much the flights are coming out at for that itinery?

Mick
Mick, the prices for the dates we're thinking of aren't available yet, but I would hazard a guess they will be £800 - £950 per economy class seat, however Air New Zealand have some specials on soon which may reduce the cost. You also get 46kg baggage allowance per person on that route no matter what visa you are on.

We are trying to work out how many seats to buy as we have twin babies who will be very nearly 2. We can buy 2 seats, and have them seated on our laps (unlikely) as they will be too big to fit in sky cots, 3 seats and rotate them, or 4 seats and they can have a seat each. We may have to buy 4 seats as we're going to need the luggage allowance I think! OR we could buy 2 business class seats - more room in them. The kids seats would be 75% adult cost.

I'm probably going to get the exact routing and flight details from Air NZ at NZ house, Haymarket, and then book through Travelmood, my friend is a senior manager there and would be able to book them cheaper.

When are you planning on flying Mick?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Cranni/Denise, I think it's a great idea. I'm personally happy to help out if anyone requires any info re the Bayside area in Brisbane or unbiased advice re places to stay that are reasonably priced when setting up etc, however Im not ready to have anyone stay...so sod off Soapy

Another thing that crossed my mind was that most of us have emigrated here to "live"...no....I mean really live and feel "alive" ie to visit as much of Aus as possible before we all go to the big place in the sky. Yet how many of us actually get to see anywhere other than where we settle?

Most of us find the cost of travel expensive and anyways, why pay to stay in hotels when we can house swap at the fraction of the cost? And let's face it, some people live in lovely parts of Aus and how brilliant would it be to experience other places

Anyways, what crossed my mind was maybe a site where we could do holiday swaps perhaps? This could enable people to travel all over Aus by swapping houses for an agreed time period and maybe even consider a bond type situation if people think it appropriate?

At the end of the day, a lot of us on Expats form friendships and are sensible enough to build trusting relationships. Yes, there will always be casualties, but then that's down to the individuals to "draw up agreements" so to speak or maybe choose people who are like minded? For the majority, it could be a great, inexpensive, cost effective and realistic way of seeing different parts of Australia.....a fantastic place to live, never mind visit!

Anyways, it's 7pm, it Friday..... and I've had a few so maybe when I sober up this will not be a good idea eh...LOL

But for now, what does everyone else fink?
omg, i cant believe what is happening im really touched.
Im up for the house swapping as well, that can be another list, anybody coming over this way, your welcome anytime.
What a great bunch you all are.
Denise xx
Old Jun 9th 2006, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

we would love any help could be offered to us when we arrive to Melbourne on the 29 of June need to stay in nice hotel to accommodate five of us which wouldn't cost the earth for couple of nights and then we are in Adelaide for two weeks and then back to Melbourne for one week, maybe apartment for short term, for either Melbourne or Adelaide.
its hard to when you dont know where is the best place to stay when you are doing your reccie, so it wouldn't cost you so much, also would love to hear how cost effective is it to travel from Melbourne to Adelaide and back again.
which car hire is best to go for, as it is winter time when we get to oz, how cold does it get in Melbourne and Adelaide.
would be love to hear any suggestion, many thanks in advance.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
we would love any help could be offered to us when we arrive to Melbourne on the 29 of June need to stay in nice hotel to accommodate five of us which wouldn't cost the earth for couple of nights and then we are in Adelaide for two weeks and then back to Melbourne for one week, maybe apartment for short term, for either Melbourne or Adelaide.
its hard to when you dont know where is the best place to stay when you are doing your reccie, so it wouldn't cost you so much, also would love to hear how cost effective is it to travel from Melbourne to Adelaide and back again.
which car hire is best to go for, as it is winter time when we get to oz, how cold does it get in Melbourne and Adelaide.
would be love to hear any suggestion, many thanks in advance.

Hey hun,

We will be in Adelaide around the 7th july and are looking to stay at one of the big4 caravan parks. I quite like the look of these http://www.adelaideshores.com.au/ccabins4to5Berth.htm and they aren't too expensive either.

Can't help with car hire as we looked at trains to get from Melbourne to Adelaide. Bit of a long journey with really little kids though. But here's the link if you want to have a look. http://www.countrylink.info/travel_passes
Old Jun 9th 2006, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

The temp during the day is hovering around 16 degrees atm.

Alot of people seem to stay in the Quest serviced apartments when they first arrive in Melb. ( http://www.questapartments.com.au/ ) not sure on their pricing though.

If it was summer I would suggest you drove down the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide but you probably don't want to do it in the winter Another option would be flying and if you can be flexible on dates you might get yourself a bargain on one of the domestic airlines.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hey hun,

We will be in Adelaide around the 7th july and are looking to stay at one of the big4 caravan parks. I quite like the look of these http://www.adelaideshores.com.au/ccabins4to5Berth.htm and they aren't too expensive either.

Can't help with car hire as we looked at trains to get from Melbourne to Adelaide. Bit of a long journey with really little kids though. But here's the link if you want to have a look. http://www.countrylink.info/travel_passes
hi Wendy,
I was told by a friend there is no direct route from Melbourne to Adelaide by train, I know car journey isn't practical, but this trip is keep adding up so expensive and we are not there yet.
one night in Kuala Lumpur, the accommodation is paid for but we still need to get to the hotel, I dont know how far is hotel from the airport how much that is going to cost, guess dinner wont be too expensive then in the morning taxi to the airport.
then we get to Melbourne at 7 in the evening so i guess we need to stay some where to get over the long flight, of course we have to get to Adelaide somehow, get to stay somewhere then we need car to drive around, then back to Melbourne for a week, i think i'm going to need another holiday when i get back.
so we might get to see each other in Adelaide, go for drink or more, which one are you staying so i try to get booking for that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.