Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

helping each other

helping each other

Old Jun 9th 2006, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: helping each other

It's a nice idea but not that practical for many of us, particulary those with young families and working long hours!
We found meeting up with other expats helpful and fun in the beginning, but really they have their own lives to get on with, often live in different areas and you can't expect them to be there all the time.
It's not really *that* hard when you get here (lol, it's Aus not Beirut), you just cope and things fall into place. Most people are pretty friendly and helpful. If you have internet access and BE then you can't really fail.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 2:48 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

You helpful lot ....... looks like I'd better get cracking with the list.

Anyone who wants their details added just let me have:

BE Username (This way no telephone numbers/addresses etc have to be shared in public view because initial contact will be via PM)
Location where you live
Area you are available
Optional - What sort of things you will help with
Optional - Name (Just first will do)

Initially I will put the list in the article section. If anyone no longer wants their details removed or edited they can pm or email me.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 2:53 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue

Initially I will put the list in the article section. If anyone no longer wants their details removed or edited they can pm or email me.
ive only ever been in there once sue.
i just wonder if people would think to look in there?
Old Jun 9th 2006, 2:58 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
ive only ever been in there once sue.
i just wonder if people would think to look in there?
I'll put a sticky at the top of the forum with a link to it. For the time being it's probably the best option so that it can be in some sort of location/alphabetical order thingy. We'll think of something more permanent if it becomes popular
Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:39 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I'll put a sticky at the top of the forum with a link to it. For the time being it's probably the best option so that it can be in some sort of location/alphabetical order thingy. We'll think of something more permanent if it becomes popular
"super, smashing great"
Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
Right i know this will cause a bit of a stir, but i have just read a couple of threads on here, new expats starting out their new life.
Why is there no one at the other end to help them, your all good at giving advice, now put it into practice.
I have had expats come over and stay with us, and be there for them, dont you remember how hard it was at first because i do.
We are picking up a family from airport 2 hours away next week, 1 in the morning, and they will stay with us until they find somewhere.
I have found rentals for people, and just been a friendly face at the other end.
I know a lot of others help out as well, so why are there families coming over and nobody there for them. Come on lets just try and help a bit more.
Denise
Can I just add that it DOES happen, but people just don't talk about it on here! Our friends collected us from the airport, brought hats for the boys, got some food in (so grateful for that) and took us to our B&B. They've provided help and support on the complicated area of employment and tax, centrelink and medicare. We've got together for BBQ's and they even looked after the kids for us for a night so we could sort out a rental. It really makes such a difference as the first few days/weeks are a bit of a struggle!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cranni
Right i know this will cause a bit of a stir, but i have just read a couple of threads on here, new expats starting out their new life.
Why is there no one at the other end to help them, your all good at giving advice, now put it into practice.
I have had expats come over and stay with us, and be there for them, dont you remember how hard it was at first because i do.
We are picking up a family from airport 2 hours away next week, 1 in the morning, and they will stay with us until they find somewhere.
I have found rentals for people, and just been a friendly face at the other end.
I know a lot of others help out as well, so why are there families coming over and nobody there for them. Come on lets just try and help a bit more.
Denise
I would just like to say that having people you know the other end (if just for moral support) is absolutely great. Although I have family where I am going and accommodation arrange, I would like to thank Denise and her family for the hospitality they showed us during our recent holiday as well as all the help and advice since with visa's, forms etc.

We are due to leave within a couple of months and the support we have received has been invaluable. This also goes for the support I have received on BE.

I would be more than willing to offer support to others in whatever way I can.

Debs
Old Jun 9th 2006, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
We could start a "contact" list if you want. Members who wanted to be availabe to newbies arriving in Australia could pm me there details like name and location and we could add them to the list. Then when anyone needed someone to show them the ropes they could look at the list and pm the member nearest them. How does that sound?

Sue
Sue , thats sounds great. i think that is a good idea.
Im glad to be on the list.
Denise in Bunbury WA.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Denise

When we arrive in Perth, hopefully in about 6 months we are definitely going to come and knock on your door as you sound like an all round nice chappette with a lot to offer all us newbies, just from starting this thread is a good example.

It would be great to keep this sort of thing up and in turn when we are settled we could help others, I guess just the networking side and friendly faces helps let alone all of the good advice.

So as I said I will be knocking on your door for your friendly advice and well done for being such a helpful expat.

Mick

PS I did PM you some time back with regards leaving kids behind, thanks for the replies to that and if my mrs talks to you it will ease her worries also
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

You know I was just thinking the same thing myself after reading posts about what to do when you/your kids are ill and there's no family around to help!

So i shall be adding myself to the list.... and for all the brisbanites - due to severe lack of social life (with the exception of this saturday night!) i am available for lots of babysitting (i know - it's cruel to sit on them!!). Not just available at nights and weekends - due to scabby studentness am also available most afternoons and all day friday!!!

just shout!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:33 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: helping each other

Originally Posted by Sue
Sue, may I suggest this could work 2 ways - ie people emigrating could bring with them items from the UK for expats, things you can't get in Ozzie shops, presents from family, daily newspapers if that's what's required.

Hmmm subject to
- luggage allowance
- customs
- "Are you carrying anything for anyone else Mr airline passenger?"

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Sue, may I suggest this could work 2 ways - ie people emigrating could bring with them items from the UK for expats, things you can't get in Ozzie shops, presents from family, daily newspapers if that's what's required.

Hmmm subject to
- luggage allowance
- customs

Cheers

Buzzy

i think that is a good idea and i would be willing to bring things over in Oct, when i come over for a visit.

Thanks to BE i have been offered a trip out in Albury so would be more than happy to bring sweets,tights for the ladies, anything that could fit in our luggage.
Also if any geordies out there want to have any northern goodies i would be willing to bring them.
I think the world is a much better place when people are willing to help others.
Mandy
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:04 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Hmmm subject to
- luggage allowance
- customs

Cheers

Buzzy
Dont forget to let us know the flight times Buzzy - you do remember we are picking you up dont you?

Kiwi
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

What a great idea! I would love to be part of this
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:18 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: helping each other

Originally Posted by thebears
Dont forget to let us know the flight times Buzzy - you do remember we are picking you up dont you?

Kiwi
That's a very kind offer - we will need a minibus though I think! 2 adults, 2 kids and about twenty cases by the look of it!

You'll have to let me know if you want anything picked up in England, California, Hawaii, Rarotonga/Tahiti (haven't decided which yet) or New Zealand!

Packet of burger rings and some pineapple lumps anyone?

Cheers

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.