Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heading for Melbourne

Heading for Melbourne

Old May 1st 2007, 8:45 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading for Melbourne

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
Melbourne for us as well, although no idea where yet!

As Kapri says, BritVics is a useful site and really nice people. We met loads for the first time on Sunday and had a great time.

P.S. Any hints for the following appreciated, needs / wants:-
1. Good school (primary now, senior in 3 years)
2. Airport within 1.5 hours, as I will be flying most weeks
3. Not legoland
4. Largish block, with good family beach within 20 minutes.

Thinking of Frankston, but don't know how long to the airport, or how nice the area is, but the High school looks excellent.

Pete
Hi Hon it was lovely meeting you both at the weekend.
You know we were looking at Frankston as the beach looks good and I am applying for a job there. However I have just read the Where to live in melbourne PDf that Bordy has and i have changed my mind. Above average crime rate I think we might try Mt Eliza instead. Still close to Frankston but without the problems.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hi Hon it was lovely meeting you both at the weekend.
You know we were looking at Frankston as the beach looks good and I am applying for a job there. However I have just read the Where to live in melbourne PDf that Bordy has and i have changed my mind. Above average crime rate I think we might try Mt Eliza instead. Still close to Frankston but without the problems.

I have to dig out the book, as Bordy sent me a copy. Its really difficult looking at things from a distance It was nice to meet you and the other's, putting faces to names really helps. I'll have a look into Mt Eliza. Thanks.

Pete
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CynOpt
Hi Yellowspot, we're Somerset based too, and we're headed to melbourne, on date of receipt of visa+(number of days notice-days holidays left). Skills assessment went in last week.

Had originally looked at just the areas we visited the family in when we were there in Feb, particularily out Gisborne way, and the West of Melbourne generally ( oh dont ask about "the west" on the britvic site, its a sore subject over there )
But from looking on here in the 8 weeks since we got back, I think we missed MOST of it, so will probably wait to decide until we get there.

Thats the problem with not realising how much you want to live there until the week before you have to come back, we could have made much better use of time if we had gone over knowing how much we would like it.
We now live out near Gisborne, and if anyone wants rural I wouldn't discount the Macedon Ranges. Easier access to the airport than a lot of other places as well as the airport lies between here and the city. Takes about 50mins on the train to get to Melbourne and about an hour to drive out of rush hour, obviously longer in rush hour
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:38 am
Just Joined

baxter-s is an unknown quantity at this point

hi we have just moved to melbourne , we live in bonbeach , not far from frankston , were a family of six looking to meet some new friends, really homesick at the minute , its our first time in oz , here on a working 4 year visa but awaiting residency visas , were keen to know any one from uk anywhere up north, london luton were my husband is from , we have 2 boys , 2 girls , ages 10, 8, 4, 8 months
we look forward to hearing from anyone , baxter-s
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by baxter-s
hi we have just moved to melbourne , we live in bonbeach , not far from frankston , were a family of six looking to meet some new friends, really homesick at the minute , its our first time in oz , here on a working 4 year visa but awaiting residency visas , were keen to know any one from uk anywhere up north, london luton were my husband is from , we have 2 boys , 2 girls , ages 10, 8, 4, 8 months
Hi

We are not there yet, but will be soon - March
We have 16 and 10 year old boys and a 7 year old daughter, looking at Mount Eliza. There seems to be a few on here around the Frankston area and quite a few heading that way.

Keep in touch and we would love to meet up when we arrive,

Tracy
x
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Welcome to Melbourne.

You might be better, if you look on Britvics

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?

There are loads of us on there from Melbourne, and I am sure some will be located near you. We have a meet planned in a couple of weeks, so take a look and see what you think.

Pete
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:25 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
Hi

We are not there yet, but will be soon - March
We have 16 and 10 year old boys and a 7 year old daughter, looking at Mount Eliza. There seems to be a few on here around the Frankston area and quite a few heading that way.

Keep in touch and we would love to meet up when we arrive,

Tracy
x
Hi Folks.
There are lots of people from Melbourne who post on here who will hopefully be able to tell you when the next meet is and supply you with lots of info
Just give them a few hours to wake up
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone,

we too are heading for melbourne, never been bu hve friends who live there, one in mornington which is where we plan to go and my other friend lives in crydon,

we are planning on May time, to come out, a little nervous but yet very excited weird feeling u get eh. will have a look on britvics i had completely forgot about that site actually.

would apprecitae any info on the areas above, also anyone living there at mo ?

Me my oh Mic and our boy of 5. what r schools like there. anyone know which are the best. ??

Diane
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

posh10;

your boy will go into Primary school until he is 13 years old then secondary school. Now then there is a massive difference between Croydon & Mornington the areas are very different. Croydon is mainly Industrial where Mornington has sea views at hand its as simple as that & of course the cost of housing in mornington is much higher but newer housing.

The Primary school are OK, however Croydon sec college is just average ive worked there, in mornington the state school is fine very academic.

But it all depends on your budget for housing.
Regards

arthur