Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heading for Melbourne

Heading for Melbourne

Old May 1st 2007, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Heading for Melbourne

Anywhere down the great Ocean Road from Torquay onwards the house prices increase dramatically..Geelong is nice and only about an 45 minutes away by train, you could also look at Williamstown, no beaches to speak of but very nice and relaxed little place
Old May 1st 2007, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

My wife has also asked to tell you about these places as well

Geelong, PortArlington, St Leonards, Ocean Grove,Queenscliffe

the thing you have to remember about Australians is that they do not regard distance as any kind of hardship for instance the places my wife has mentioned are all an hour or and hour and half west from Melbourne , Geelong being the 2nd largest city in Victoria approx 30,000 people commute to Melbourne everyday and think nothing of the time and the distance they spend in travel

Last edited by Fenton; May 1st 2007 at 9:12 am.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Yellowspot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fenton
My wife has also asked to tell you about these places as well

Geelong, PortArlington, St Leonards, Ocean Grove

the thing you have to remember about Australians is that they do not regard distance as any kind of hardship for instance the places my wife has mentioned are all an hour or and hour and half west from Melbourne , Geelong being the 2nd largest city in Victoria approx 30,000 people commute to Melbourne everyday and think nothing of the time and the distance they spend in travel
Thanks for the information Fenton, much appreciated.

Just to clarify yoru statement..."Anywhere down the great Ocean Road from Torquay onwards the house prices increase dramatically" ....Do you mean going away from Melbourne towards Torquay the house prices increase or going towards Melbourne??

Steve
Old May 1st 2007, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

On the great Ocean road round 13th beach ..ie Torquay and Angelessey the houses prices are expensive, just because they overlook the surf beaches
Old May 1st 2007, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Yellowspot
Hi

We're living in Somerset, UK at the moment but have just got our Visas and plan to leave for Melbourne around the end of August '07. Having dreamed of this moment for the last 6 years, I am now wondering if we're doing the right thing. My heart says "yes yes yes" but my brain is saying "hey hold on, you've got a great job, great house etc. etc.". I just can't believe that I now have doubs about the move, so if any of you can offer some encouragement it would be very appreciated!!

We have 3 children, all girls, 9, 14 and 17. I already have a job so it's just a matter of finding the right house, schooling and Uni.

We live in a rural area and want the same in Oz. I am lucky that I will be able to mostly work from home and will only need to go into the Melbourne CBD every now and then. I will, however, need to fly fairly regularly so I guess I can't be more than a couple of hours from the airport. We want to rent for the first year or so but intend to buy if we like it over there.

We're currently looking at the Mornington Peninsula, Geelong and the Dandenongs. Any suggestions, recommendations etc.?

By the way, I'm 45 and my wife is 43.

Yellowspot

For a more rural lifestyle with access to the CBD and Airport within 1 hour 1 1/2 hours why not try area around Lilydale / Coldstream beautiful large plots good schooling around Lilydale. Far more rural than looking around Mornington and you will get more for your money. I am from Cornwall and need to have the sea on my doorstep so we are looking around Mount Eliza however if I didnt want the sea so close Coldstream and Lilydale would be another area I would look at. You also have easy acces to The Dandenongs which are breathtaking.
Old May 1st 2007, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Yellowspot, you will find Melbourne a fantastic place to live where ever you decide to go. we have been here now for 10 years & love the place.

your kids are going to love life in Australia and so should you & hubby expect nothing from anyone do everything with the family. at school the kids here love the UK accent its as simple as that. i work for the education dept in a school & as i say its great for the kids. The closer you live to the city its more expensive if you move near the sea its horrendous in cost.

But im sure you will do research & if you need help just PM me.

regards

arthur in melbourne
Old May 1st 2007, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

Hi Yellowspot.

1. Rural lifestyle
2. Close to beach
3. Reasonable driving distance to airport

I think you'll find it hard to get all three, but hey, two out of three ain't bad.

With the airport about an hour north-west of the CBD, your best bet is probably towards Geelong.

But if you had to give up one of your preferences, which would it be?
Old May 1st 2007, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cam1977
Hi Yellowspot.

1. Rural lifestyle
2. Close to beach
3. Reasonable driving distance to airport

I think you'll find it hard to get all three, but hey, two out of three ain't bad.

With the airport about an hour north-west of the CBD, your best bet is probably towards Geelong.

But if you had to give up one of your preferences, which would it be?
Sorry I think it was me who wanted beach so the OP was reasonable access to airport CBD for once in a while trip and rural

Cheryl
Old May 1st 2007, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

pippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud of

We're in Mornington just now and love it.

The only problem is that it takes approx 1 1/2 hours to get to CBD - 20 mins by car to Frankston and the 1+ by train (unless you get an express which saves 10 mins). And don't try parking in Frankston train car park unless you're there before 7 in the morning.

We're in a rental and are looking to buy soemewhere between Mornington, Mount Eliza and South Frankston. I like the cafe culture and laid back feel to these places.
Old May 1st 2007, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Sorry I think it was me who wanted beach so the OP was reasonable access to airport CBD for once in a while trip and rural

Cheryl
Don't apologise Cheryl! My fault for not reading properly. :embarrassed:

Anyway, Yellowspot shouldn't have a problem finding something suitable.
Old May 1st 2007, 11:47 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Welcome to BE and congratulatins on choosing to live in Melbourne.

We're off there too, leaving end of July. You'll get loads of recommendations from folks on here. A lot of BE folks are also members of http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...php?act=SC&c=1 which is a sit dedicated to Victoria alone.

Gill
Busy forum that. Wish there was something similar for those of us in the 'first' state ... unfriendly buggers that we are...
Old May 1st 2007, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Melbourne for us as well, although no idea where yet!

As Kapri says, BritVics is a useful site and really nice people. We met loads for the first time on Sunday and had a great time.

P.S. Any hints for the following appreciated, needs / wants:-
1. Good school (primary now, senior in 3 years)
2. Airport within 1.5 hours, as I will be flying most weeks
3. Not legoland
4. Largish block, with good family beach within 20 minutes.

Thinking of Frankston, but don't know how long to the airport, or how nice the area is, but the High school looks excellent.

Pete
Old May 1st 2007, 6:54 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Busy forum that. Wish there was something similar for those of us in the 'first' state ... unfriendly buggers that we are...
Come join us Hutch, I won't tell if you don't
Old May 1st 2007, 7:14 pm
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Yellowspot, we're Somerset based too, and we're headed to melbourne, on date of receipt of visa+(number of days notice-days holidays left). Skills assessment went in last week.

Had originally looked at just the areas we visited the family in when we were there in Feb, particularily out Gisborne way, and the West of Melbourne generally ( oh dont ask about "the west" on the britvic site, its a sore subject over there )
But from looking on here in the 8 weeks since we got back, I think we missed MOST of it, so will probably wait to decide until we get there.

Thats the problem with not realising how much you want to live there until the week before you have to come back, we could have made much better use of time if we had gone over knowing how much we would like it.
Old May 1st 2007, 8:41 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Dunno if this will help any of you with teens.

Anyway we arrived on april 14th, and my teen daughter (15), stayed for two weeks and has now gone back to scotland to sit her exams. She had to come with us to get her visa validated otherwise iit would have been cancelled.

We got her organised with a support network before we left (including moving all her bedroom furniture to where she is staying in scotland).

We flew to melbourne, and she has fought us tooth and nail not to emigrate, and when it was time to fly back she admitted is wasn't as bad as she thought it was going to be
Having limited funds it was not possible for us to do a reccie and validate, also we are both 43 so time not on our side. But we had enough (just!!), to send our teen back to sit her exams, she flew back with an escourt service from the airline (emirates), which all went very well.

I am missing her like mad, as is her dad and wee sister (8) , she is returning end june after exams, with the family friend she is staying with, so looking forward to seeing them both.
Mags- I have had a few wines but my eyes filled up reading this
Is she looking forward to joining you back in melbourne when her exams are over?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.