Reload this Page >

Heading for Melbourne

Heading for Melbourne

Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Yellowspot is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Heading for Melbourne

Hi

We're living in Somerset, UK at the moment but have just got our Visas and plan to leave for Melbourne around the end of August '07. Having dreamed of this moment for the last 6 years, I am now wondering if we're doing the right thing. My heart says "yes yes yes" but my brain is saying "hey hold on, you've got a great job, great house etc. etc.". I just can't believe that I now have doubs about the move, so if any of you can offer some encouragement it would be very appreciated!!

We have 3 children, all girls, 9, 14 and 17. I already have a job so it's just a matter of finding the right house, schooling and Uni.

We live in a rural area and want the same in Oz. I am lucky that I will be able to mostly work from home and will only need to go into the Melbourne CBD every now and then. I will, however, need to fly fairly regularly so I guess I can't be more than a couple of hours from the airport. We want to rent for the first year or so but intend to buy if we like it over there.

We're currently looking at the Mornington Peninsula, Geelong and the Dandenongs. Any suggestions, recommendations etc.?

By the way, I'm 45 and my wife is 43.

Yellowspot
Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:49 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading for Melbourne

Welcome to BE and congratulatins on choosing to live in Melbourne.

We're off there too, leaving end of July. You'll get loads of recommendations from folks on here. A lot of BE folks are also members of http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...php?act=SC&c=1 which is a sit dedicated to Victoria alone.

Gill
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by herrchook
Welcome to BE and congratulatins on choosing to live in Melbourne.

We're off there too, leaving end of July. You'll get loads of recommendations from folks on here. A lot of BE folks are also members of http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...php?act=SC&c=1 which is a sit dedicated to Victoria alone.

Gill
Hi Gill. Pleased to meet you! Thanks for the Brit Vics tip - I will take a look....Steve
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:36 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yellowspot
Hi Gill. Pleased to meet you! Thanks for the Brit Vics tip - I will take a look....Steve
Steve, you're welcome. You'll find the board get busy with the Aussies during the night so you'll get a lot of replies then I'm sure.

Look forward to maybe meeting you at a Melbourne meet sometime .

Gill
Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I'm heading for Melbourne to, best city in Oz in my opinion, but my wife is from there so I got to see lots of it, Loved living in Flemington, and not as much Altona Meadows, but its all good, love the variety of food, the cafe culture...just everything really..I'm sure you'll love it to
Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:56 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne for us aswell..never been there before tho'

welcome

Lee
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:05 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Yellowspot!
We're not far from you in Dorset and we're also heading to Melbourne.
Welcome to B.E.
As herrchook already said - Britvics is a great site - really friendly. we had a meet yesterday and everyone got on so well.
in answer to your question I think once you have got it in your head you just have to go and do it
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:07 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Melbourne for us aswell..never been there before tho'

welcome

Lee
Same here Lee - We have travelled from Sydney up to Cairns but decided to go to Melbourne
people think we're bonkers
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:10 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Same here Lee - We have travelled from Sydney up to Cairns but decided to go to Melbourne
people think we're bonkers
bonkers 'r' us

Why choose Meb Kap ????
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:16 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
bonkers 'r' us

Why choose Meb Kap ????
Mainly because we want to be near some action. We wouldn't want to be anywhere remote or somewhere where the beach was the only option. My OH is a DJ and would be really keen to carry on doing it in Australia.
It just sounds like Vic is really diverse -City life, cafe culture, beaches, bush.
sounds ideal really
What about you?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:20 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by Kapri
Mainly because we want to be near some action. We wouldn't want to be anywhere remote or somewhere where the beach was the only option. My OH is a DJ and would be really keen to carry on doing it in Australia.
It just sounds like Vic is really diverse -City life, cafe culture, beaches, bush.
sounds ideal really
What about you?
same reasons really and i like the sound of seasonal weather
Old May 1st 2007, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

If you want to know anything about Melbourne give us a shout, as my wife lived there for 20 odd years ...and I know a fair bit being a there for a year and other times as well...
Old May 1st 2007, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks to you all for your initial responses - I am feeling better about it already!

I guess it's just human nature (well it is for me anyway) to dwell on the "worse case scanerio" of us having to come back to the UK, tails between our legs, jobless and frankly, looking pretty stupid. If we didn't have the girls to worry about, it we be a complete no-brainer. My 14 year-old daughter is 1 year into her GCSE's and she, quite understandably, wants to finish them, but given my age (45), this is the last chance saloon for us - it's now or never! (cue for a song). We have looked on the web to see if there are any English/International schools that she could go to to finish her GCSE's but we haven't found any to date. Does anyone here know of anywhere or anyway that she could complete them?

On the positive side, I do have a good job to go to that will allow me to work from home when I am not travelling. As far as places to live is concerned, the Mornington Peninsula looks increasingly attractive from the feedback that we have recived thus far. However, we have also been told to look at Torquay, beyond Geelong. Can anyone give me their take on it given that we are looking for a rural setting close to the beach, but not toooooooo far from Melbourne CBD???

Yellowspot
Old May 1st 2007, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Kipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant future

Funny that, feel exactly the same as you, but we've only just got my TA back(teaching) and am just about to send off visa application, and am already getting cold feet.
Think it's all the homesickness thing I keep reading on this site etc.
This site has been great for getting our thoughts together and not getting too carried away
We have no complaints about our lives here and have a thriving business, and live in lovely south Manchester, but have a brother in law in Oz and always loved it out there.
My children are 14, 12 and 10, and real outdoor kids, so like you will have a son who will start GCSE's only to be moved.
I change from minute to minute- am I doing the right thing ? God knows, but know if I don't give it a try it will be my one regret in life.
Keep thinking should have done it when the kids were smaller.
We spent 5 weeks in Bris and quite liked it, but relatives have also lived in Melbourne (Frankston) which we loved
We too hope to be in Melbourne by Jan 2008 - that's unless I change my mind again!
Good luck
Old May 1st 2007, 9:01 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dunno if this will help any of you with teens.

Anyway we arrived on april 14th, and my teen daughter (15), stayed for two weeks and has now gone back to scotland to sit her exams. She had to come with us to get her visa validated otherwise iit would have been cancelled.

We got her organised with a support network before we left (including moving all her bedroom furniture to where she is staying in scotland).

We flew to melbourne, and she has fought us tooth and nail not to emigrate, and when it was time to fly back she admitted is wasn't as bad as she thought it was going to be
Having limited funds it was not possible for us to do a reccie and validate, also we are both 43 so time not on our side. But we had enough (just!!), to send our teen back to sit her exams, she flew back with an escourt service from the airline (emirates), which all went very well.

I am missing her like mad, as is her dad and wee sister (8) , she is returning end june after exams, with the family friend she is staying with, so looking forward to seeing them both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.