Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long is ideal for a 'holiday' in Australia?

How long is ideal for a 'holiday' in Australia?

Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

ozzydreamer will become famous soon enoughozzydreamer will become famous soon enough
Default How long is ideal for a 'holiday' in Australia?

Hi again, another random question!!

We may consider a holiday in Brisbane before we decide to emigrate, but wonder how long it takes to get over the flying? So wonder how many days/weeks to consider going for?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long is ideal for a 'holiday' in Australia?

Hi

As long as you can possibly afford might be one answer
Seriously, we did Melbourne, Tasmania and South Australia ( briefly!) in May last year in 17 days and did not have too much problem with jet lag - to be honest there wasn't time to, as we had a packed itinerary. When we came home, well, that was another matter, I was absolutely exhausted!
We couldn't do any longer due to finances and problems taking children out of school and getting time off work.

In the ideal world we would have much much longer, of course but still managed to have a fantastic time. We spent our time being tourists but could have easily looked at properties and schools etc if we had arranged in advance.

Good luck

Sam
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I would say to go for as long as you can and can afford. We went for 4 weeks and had a really packed itineray. The first couple of days were difficult as we were both really tired. We had early nights though so we could pack stuff in during the day. After the first couple of days we were fine.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Originally Posted by TeresaG
I would say to go for as long as you can and can afford. We went for 4 weeks and had a really packed itineray. The first couple of days were difficult as we were both really tired. We had early nights though so we could pack stuff in during the day. After the first couple of days we were fine.
as op said after first couple of nights you'll be fine.
went for two weeks to brisbane last april and packed alot in,went down gold coast and up sunshine coast.
didn't really do anything relaxing though as we where lookin at houses, cars jobs etc.
it's the week after you come home that the tiredness hits!!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

ozzydreamer will become famous soon enoughozzydreamer will become famous soon enough

I think then that we would go for a couple of weeks but then have a week off at home before returning to work then!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:31 pm
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzydreamer
I think then that we would go for a couple of weeks but then have a week off at home before returning to work then!
Yeah we flew out on a Tuesday, got there Thursday, spent two weeks and got back on a Thursday am. Back to work Monday was fine other than the depression of knowing you're nolonger in Oz

Allan
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:49 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

We did three weeks last August and managed to see loads. We spent four nights each in Cairns and Melbourne and the rest of the time in and around Sydney/Wollongong (where my brother lives). Internal flights are short so you can see quite a bit of the country in a relatively short space of time.

Enjoy!

Therese
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:12 pm
Come on down...........

a and ts mum will become famous soon enough

My mum goes for two weeks twice a year! Whereas, we (2 adults, 2 kids) have been once for nearly six weeks. As for the flights, we all found it took longer to recover once we were home and had to go back to work (still recovering months later). We were fine within 24 hours of arriving! Although we did stop in Hong Kong for a few days.

All the best with whatever you decide! Hope you love it as much as us!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:18 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzydreamer
Hi again, another random question!!

We may consider a holiday in Brisbane before we decide to emigrate, but wonder how long it takes to get over the flying? So wonder how many days/weeks to consider going for?
If its purely a holiday and not a reccie I wouldn't spend too much time in Brisbane itself, maybe a couple of days. If you like the beach, then head up or down to one of the coasts for a bit but definitely make an effort to also travel further afield....you could stick purely to Qld i.e. head up to the tropics or head south and visit Melbourne or Sydney.