Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having a nice time but not learning anything

Having a nice time but not learning anything

Old Sep 28th 2005, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Having a nice time but not learning anything

Sorry its a cut and paste but after 5 years and 3 kids i agree 100%

Another damning report on the australian education system, this time by the australian gov.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...55E601,00.html

Last edited by jad n rich; Sep 28th 2005 at 8:52 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a nice time but not learning anything

I think I must be missing something that you can see. First of all it says it compares the data to countries that out perform Australia. The only countries mentioned are "England" "Singapore" and (apparently) "California"

They say that the curriculum documents are not as rigorous or sound as California or England.

That article tells me absolutely nothing about the Australian education system, whether good or bad. It does say that other people are questioning the validity of the people who wrote the report.

I am really interested in the quality of education in Aus, I have two children but cutting and pasting something that doesn't actually give any information seems a bit pointless.

Happy to be proved wrong though
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

I am not 100% sure that the schools here are as academically strong as the UK but as we all know, schools are more than the 3r's.

This document does seem to be more about political hogwash than facts!

Every country seems to be more into bring down another party than actually managing to better life for the next generation. Maybe these politicians could use there time and our money more wisely and actually achieve something beneficial to the country rather than playtime squabbles
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
I am not 100% sure that the schools here are as academically strong as the UK but as we all know, schools are more than the 3r's.

This document does seem to be more about political hogwash than facts!

Every country seems to be more into bring down another party than actually managing to better life for the next generation. Maybe these politicians could use there time and our money more wisely and actually achieve something beneficial to the country rather than playtime squabbles

With six kids educated in public and private school over 20 years in VIC and QLD, never seen children from any other country moved up a class because they came from a better education system nor be the brightest either (in general) other than Asians. These students are more committed to study rather than coming from a better education system.

Gayle
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think I must be missing something that you can see. First of all it says it compares the data to countries that out perform Australia. The only countries mentioned are "England" "Singapore" and (apparently) "California"

They say that the curriculum documents are not as rigorous or sound as California or England.

That article tells me absolutely nothing about the Australian education system, whether good or bad. It does say that other people are questioning the validity of the people who wrote the report.

I am really interested in the quality of education in Aus, I have two children but cutting and pasting something that doesn't actually give any information seems a bit pointless.

Happy to be proved wrong though

Probably the only thing your missing is that your kids havent been thorough the education system here yet, the article should make perfect sense to anyone whos kids are in australia, well in older grades where you notice the effect of these things. I didnt think it was hard to understand at all sorry if it confused you.

Its also a fairly commonly raised topic in australia, one now being addressed by the gov as there has been so critical comment on it, and findings show many kids are leaving school without the basics in reading, maths etc. Many would like to see more traditional education methods brought back.

The article was the leading headline on todays australian newspaper.

www.theaustralian.com.au
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

My 20 year Old Daughter, 100pct product of the Australian Education system, with year 12 HSC pass, (uni entry level) and 2 years Aussie work record, is about to go up against her English counterparts next week.

So the proof is just about to be in the pudding, from a employabilty perspective at least.

As she is a spread sheet wiz, looks like (the ball park figure is now) circa 16,000+ quid, in MKeynes as opposed to 32,000 aud, In Melbourne, by all accounts.

Besides employabilty, and uni entry capacity, how would you measure education ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 28th 2005 at 10:51 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Besides employabilty, and uni entry capacity, how would you measure education ?

The article makes some good points where improvements are needed.

A reporting system that parents can understand and compare standards.

Methods of teaching that can be uniform, measured and I can see this why is one child learing the 2X table when another claims their kid in the same grade is doing fractions. A standard across the board so they all learn the same, not according to how good or (keen ) the teacher is.

Going back to learning the basics, in a way parents can understand.

More emphasis on the basic maths reading spelling so they can be used as tools for further learning.

The only other counries that teach the aussie way are NZ and South africa.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Asked my kids (in state school) what they thought..

Daughter 11yrs = School work is easier than the uk. Curriculum more varied (doing surfing lessons at the moment). More creative stuff - art and music. More 'character building' stuff like doing speeches, elections for prefects. More positive reinforcement like certificates, awards etc. She prefers the system here.

Son 14yrs = All of the above. In particular the mainstream school work is much easier than the UK. But, they are better at recognising and catering for children with talents (sporting, academic, creative). Jake has been moved in the 'high achievers' set and is being challenged. He reckons the work he is doing now is much harder than the UK and is really stretching him. He loves the Australian system and has gone from uk drop out to heading for uni.

I guess it has a lot to do with the individual school.

Rachel
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:27 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My four year old son Josh just started at school. He'd been there two weeks when we attended our first 'parents meeting' and we were advised as to how they were going to be assessed and how we could help them with their homework. I really couldn't believe it. They just can't wait to stick 'em on the treadmill here. If Australian schools let them have a bit more of a childhood, before they start drilling them and testing them, then more power to them.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:32 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
My four year old son Josh just started at school. He'd been there two weeks when we attended our first 'parents meeting' and we were advised as to how they were going to be assessed and how we could help them with their homework. I really couldn't believe it. They just can't wait to stick 'em on the treadmill here. If Australian schools let them have a bit more of a childhood, before they start drilling them and testing them, then more power to them.
Hutch, what you experienced is the complete opposite of the primary school experience we, and most new migrants have had in Aus.

I wish you'd put a proper location inder your avatar, but I'm guessing you're talking about the UK??

It's hard coming from a UK school whre they learn lots of "stuff" to a system where they are about 3 years behind. It's also a catalyst for mums to want to return to the UK.

I see the product of the Aussie system at my Uni every day, and it's very positive, they all pull their socks up and get on with it when they get to high school here. Primary school is more about playing and learning to socialize.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the AUstralian school system is pretty good. My daughter has found that she is ahead in maths (but where as in england she just did sum after sum, here they actually apply it to problems which I think is better), she was way behind in I.T.
She says that in UK they were given everything they had to do and did not have to think for themselves where here she has to do her own research. They have to do class presentations and speeches. Music and Art is also valued here. She prefers the Australian System to the UK one. She is 10 yrs old and is really blossoming.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:11 am
wombat42

Education is a waste of time. The Pom system turns kids into intellectual boring nerds . The OZ system where kids muck around all day playing sport ,having a good time and learning nothing is much better.

Last edited by wombat42; Sep 29th 2005 at 12:25 am.

Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:21 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Education is a waste of time. The Pom system turns kids into intellectual boring nerds . The OZ system where kids muck around all day playing sport ,having a good time and learning nothing is much better.
Grow up.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:26 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Well there's proof if ever any was needed as to what system is best.

I have an example of the reverse situation; my teaching wife had a new Australian student who was classed as a high achiever in Australia he then floundered terribly in a good school in the midlands, despite his mother saying he was an above average student in Australia and being given loads of extra tuition in the UK. The long and the short was the kid couldn’t cope with the UK system and was so far behind in the basics that they moved back to Australia so the kid could finish his education in an environment where he was a happy star and not an unhappy dunce.

I know its only one experience so take it with a pinch of salt, But my wife is a very good teacher and knows her stuff and she is 100% convinced that our son needs to be educated in the UK.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RReed
Asked my kids (in state school) what they thought..

Daughter 11yrs = School work is easier than the uk. Curriculum more varied (doing surfing lessons at the moment). More creative stuff - art and music. More 'character building' stuff like doing speeches, elections for prefects. More positive reinforcement like certificates, awards etc. She prefers the system here.

Son 14yrs = All of the above. In particular the mainstream school work is much easier than the UK. But, they are better at recognising and catering for children with talents (sporting, academic, creative). Jake has been moved in the 'high achievers' set and is being challenged. He reckons the work he is doing now is much harder than the UK and is really stretching him. He loves the Australian system and has gone from uk drop out to heading for uni.

I guess it has a lot to do with the individual school.

Rachel
I agree, my children went to a very good school in UK and do so here, you do get good and bad everywhere, we have been quite lucky, my kids love the school here, more sport, and the teachers just seem really dedicated, they ring me up and call me by my first name, so friendly. Just one thing i am worried about, my 11 yr old is in TAGS [talented and gifted students] he is good at maths, can do sums in his head for eg; 353x164 just says the answer quicker than a calculater, but they dont seem to be bothered that he can do this, but they didnt in UK either , although they are amazed.
I am mum of 6 with 20 yrs schooling with them , my 23 yr old went to UNI in Lancshire, his teachers never turned up, he was told the first yr was not important, so of course he did not put much into it, and he failed, well he is starting Uni here in Jan to do 2 yrs, hope this is better it is costing me 32 ooo dollars. But i still think kids will do well if they really want to. Denise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.