Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having a nice time but not learning anything

Having a nice time but not learning anything

Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a nice time but not learning anything

Originally Posted by cranni
I agree, my children went to a very good school in UK and do so here, you do get good and bad everywhere, we have been quite lucky, my kids love the school here, more sport, and the teachers just seem really dedicated, they ring me up and call me by my first name, so friendly. Just one thing i am worried about, my 11 yr old is in TAGS [talented and gifted students] he is good at maths, can do sums in his head for eg; 353x164 just says the answer quicker than a calculater, but they dont seem to be bothered that he can do this, but they didnt in UK either , although they are amazed.
I am mum of 6 with 20 yrs schooling with them , my 23 yr old went to UNI in Lancshire, his teachers never turned up, he was told the first yr was not important, so of course he did not put much into it, and he failed, well he is starting Uni here in Jan to do 2 yrs, hope this is better it is costing me 32 ooo dollars. But i still think kids will do well if they really want to. Denise
ps DONT YOU JUST GET BLOODY SICK OF THE PAPERS AND GOVERNMENT STATISTICS, ITS LIKE THE SATS IN UK, 7 YR OLDS , IT ALL GOES ON THAT DAY HOW THEY FEEL, AND IF THEY DONT WANT TO DO THE TEST THEY WONT. I HEARD THEY WHERE SCRAPPING IT FOR 7 YR OLD, I HOPE SO.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future
Angry Re: Having a nice time but not learning anything

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The article makes some good points where improvements are needed.

A reporting system that parents can understand and compare standards.

Methods of teaching that can be uniform, measured and I can see this why is one child learing the 2X table when another claims their kid in the same grade is doing fractions. A standard across the board so they all learn the same, not according to how good or (keen ) the teacher is.

Going back to learning the basics, in a way parents can understand.

More emphasis on the basic maths reading spelling so they can be used as tools for further learning.

The only other counries that teach the aussie way are NZ and South africa.

Actually Canada teaches the same way, it's called child centered learning and it is failing children year after year. There are students that will excel no matter what teaching methods are used, it will just come easily. For kids that have any difficulty these new methods don't work, they have brought just a little bit of phonics back into the schools here, but very little. They don't teach the rules of spelling, they expect the kids to just memorize the words. Math is made up of patterning, patterning and more patterning it's ridiculous. I pray that the education system is better in Australia or my three kids are sunk!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:13 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

We read the newspaper today and it confirmed our fears. Whilst it will undoubtedly depend on which school your child is at, it shows that you need to be very careful and aware of your child's potential and their actual performance.

It made us more determined than ever to supplement our child's education with some home tuition.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:46 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
My four year old son Josh just started at school. He'd been there two weeks when we attended our first 'parents meeting' and we were advised as to how they were going to be assessed and how we could help them with their homework. I really couldn't believe it. They just can't wait to stick 'em on the treadmill here. If Australian schools let them have a bit more of a childhood, before they start drilling them and testing them, then more power to them.
Our dd did three years at primary in England, and I was constantly amazed at what was expected of them at such an early age. She started getting homework mid-way through year One which to me, is ridiculous. We didn't get homework until secondary school and that was plenty early enough. Kids aren't allowed to be kids any more. They should be learning through play, not from a random set of *facts* that they are presented with in an abstract way. I personally don't think children of 4, 5 and 6 can be *taught* very much at all - what they learn, they assimilate from play.

Makes you wonder if Steiner and Waldorf have got it right. I think they have.

Sue
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Our dd did three years at primary in England, and I was constantly amazed at what was expected of them at such an early age. She started getting homework mid-way through year One which to me, is ridiculous. We didn't get homework until secondary school and that was plenty early enough. Kids aren't allowed to be kids any more. They should be learning through play, not from a random set of *facts* that they are presented with in an abstract way. I personally don't think children of 4, 5 and 6 can be *taught* very much at all - what they learn, they assimilate from play.

Makes you wonder if Steiner and Waldorf have got it right. I think they have.

Sue
Ditto! my 11 and 7 yr old where fine, because they could read in reception so they found it easy, loads of homework, which drove me nuts and was so stressful especially with 3 of them and daughter doing A levels.
My 12 yr old really struggles, and i felt sorry for the kids that just where not ready and at 4 they were still babies, poor things. They do seem to be more laid back here and for my 12 yr old that is good, he does not feel under as much pressure.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arkon
Well there's proof if ever any was needed as to what system is best.

I have an example of the reverse situation; my teaching wife had a new Australian student who was classed as a high achiever in Australia he then floundered terribly in a good school in the midlands, despite his mother saying he was an above average student in Australia and being given loads of extra tuition in the UK. The long and the short was the kid couldn’t cope with the UK system and was so far behind in the basics that they moved back to Australia so the kid could finish his education in an environment where he was a happy star and not an unhappy dunce.

I know its only one experience so take it with a pinch of salt, But my wife is a very good teacher and knows her stuff and she is 100% convinced that our son needs to be educated in the UK.
My son was in the 'gifted and talented' program in the UK. He was told that if he finished all the set work (mainstream) in class they would then give him more challenging work. Needless to say he decided that working hard to complete boring work to be rewarded with more work was not such a good idea. Within two years he was dropping down sets, not doing homework, depressed, bored and I was continuously in meeting with teachers about his motivatation and attitude.

Here the high achievers set is seperate from the mainstream with a different and more difficult curriculum. He will start working towards the International Baccalaureate Diploma next year. The IBC is internationally recognised as a high academic standard for access to uni. He is currently doing maths and science way above the UK standard. My best mate has a daughter in his year in the UK (his old school which was a 'good' school), so I can compare their curriculum.

I also have experience of studying at postgraduate level in both countries. The standards are higher here. I am having to do extra study units to catch up.

Just my family's experience.

Rachel
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=RReed]My son was in the 'gifted and talented' program in the UK. He was told that if he finished all the set work (mainstream) in class they would then give him more challenging work. Needless to say he decided that working hard to complete boring work to be rewarded with more work was not such a good idea. Within two years he was dropping down sets, not doing homework, depressed, bored and I was continuously in meeting with teachers about his motivatation and attitude.

Here the high achievers set is seperate from the mainstream with a different and more difficult curriculum. He will start working towards the International Baccalaureate Diploma next year. The IBC is internationally recognised as a high academic standard for access to uni. He is currently doing maths and science way above the UK standard. My best mate has a daughter in his year in the UK (his old school which was a 'good' school), so I can compare their curriculum.
My 11 yr old has a gift, can mutiply any number quicker than a calculator, for eg 123x 456 or any other numbers , they did not seem that bothered in UK and here also. What can i do, do you think i should push this. He also knows everything about footback Uk and OZ, can answer any questions about sport, he was reading sports pages in paper from about age of 4, and would sit and look at teletext all day on a Satuday in UK at the fixtures. Denise
Old Sep 29th 2005, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=cranni]
Originally Posted by RReed
My son was in the 'gifted and talented' program in the UK. He was told that if he finished all the set work (mainstream) in class they would then give him more challenging work. Needless to say he decided that working hard to complete boring work to be rewarded with more work was not such a good idea. Within two years he was dropping down sets, not doing homework, depressed, bored and I was continuously in meeting with teachers about his motivatation and attitude.

My 11 yr old has a gift, can mutiply any number quicker than a calculator, for eg 123x 456 or any other numbers , they did not seem that bothered in UK and here also. What can i do, do you think i should push this. He also knows everything about footback Uk and OZ, can answer any questions about sport, he was reading sports pages in paper from about age of 4, and would sit and look at teletext all day on a Satuday in UK at the fixtures. Denise
Hi Denise
You will have a tough time on your hands with your son. It can be difficult having a child who is at either end of the academic spectrum. Luckily my
daughter is more 'normal' academically and is generally much happier and 'connected' with others than my son. He lives in his head, and always has. Your son sounds similar maths wise. I wouldn't/didn't push unless he is unhappy or bored at school. Jake didn't reach this point until he went to high school. Teachers don't like to be challenged and are too stretched to deal with kids outside the mainstream. It is also embarrassing being a geek teen unless you are surrounded by like minded kids.

In oz, Jake is proud to be a 'nerd' instead of hiding it. The kids in the high achievers set don't take the piss when he gets A's. He has always been a nerd at home - reading maths, science and politics books (bought with his own cash) for fun :scared: . Now he can be himself at school too.

It is difficult being a parent to a child with a 'gift'. I don't understand what he is talking about half the time and have to tell him to stop talking about maths theories at the dinner table. Just because they are academically clever, does not mean they are more intelligent. Jake has less common sense and social skills than his 11 yr old sister. He understands complex maths theories, but is incapable of simple tasks.

I also don't think being that clever is a 'gift' because it seperates you from others. Understandably other kids don't want to discuss US politics! Thinking too deeply can make you depressed. He over analyses being a teenager instead of just being one. Discussing social pressure and 'creating an identity' etc. At his age I was just having fun.

So, I don't have any advice for you re. education. Just a warning. Good luck!
Rachel
Old Sep 29th 2005, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
We read the newspaper today and it confirmed our fears. Whilst it will undoubtedly depend on which school your child is at, it shows that you need to be very careful and aware of your child's potential and their actual performance.

It made us more determined than ever to supplement our child's education with some home tuition.

I would have honestly thought that was a pre-requisite in both countries ?

Early on it was clear that our 2nd Daughter was not as good at math, as her older sister, and most of her peers, Hence one Kumon course later, and a bit of help from mum and dad, she got long division and long multiplication under her belt. Thats all we felt we needed in her case.

My kids have always done something extra, from tae-kwon-doe lessons (expensive at 75 aud each per month) but very character building. Through to Drama, music. IE: my 7 year old is showing great strengths in his art work, we put him into every little course we can. He has done kids courses at the art gallery, showing him "why" people draw etc etc. Any strength or weakness should always be supplemented by extra-curricula lessons.

One point that I don't think has been made clearly enough about the Aussie system, I guess I took it for granted, is the way they teach kids to be confident in front of others. With lots of empathsis on Public speaking, and negotiating with peers. I know that when my Daughter in England is in front of a interview, whether it be one person or 3 she will have the confidence and the tools to take control of the situation, and impress easily, as she has been taught to. Little things like 3 people barking questions all at the same time will be met with "one at a time please, or I cannot understand you" and other tools for guiding people her way.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=RReed]
Originally Posted by cranni

Hi Denise
You will have a tough time on your hands with your son. It can be difficult having a child who is at either end of the academic spectrum. Luckily my
daughter is more 'normal' academically and is generally much happier and 'connected' with others than my son. He lives in his head, and always has. Your son sounds similar maths wise. I wouldn't/didn't push unless he is unhappy or bored at school. Jake didn't reach this point until he went to high school. Teachers don't like to be challenged and are too stretched to deal with kids outside the mainstream. It is also embarrassing being a geek teen unless you are surrounded by like minded kids.

In oz, Jake is proud to be a 'nerd' instead of hiding it. The kids in the high achievers set don't take the piss when he gets A's. He has always been a nerd at home - reading maths, science and politics books (bought with his own cash) for fun :scared: . Now he can be himself at school too.

It is difficult being a parent to a child with a 'gift'. I don't understand what he is talking about half the time and have to tell him to stop talking about maths theories at the dinner table. Just because they are academically clever, does not mean they are more intelligent. Jake has less common sense and social skills than his 11 yr old sister. He understands complex maths theories, but is incapable of simple tasks.

I also don't think being that clever is a 'gift' because it seperates you from others. Understandably other kids don't want to discuss US politics! Thinking too deeply can make you depressed. He over analyses being a teenager instead of just being one. Discussing social pressure and 'creating an identity' etc. At his age I was just having fun.

So, I don't have any advice for you re. education. Just a warning. Good luck!
Rachel
Well Rachel, lucky for us, Dale is very popular at school, as he is very sporty as well, good combination. He is a good soccer player, and attended Man u academy in UK. He has a great personality and does not talk about his maths capabilities, but i just feel it is a shame to hide it as he is amazing, and unbelievable, but he is happy and that is the main thing, maybe at high school they will look into it. Thanks Denise
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:31 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Besides employabilty, and uni entry capacity, how would you measure education ?
I had an answer for this earlier, then I saw that you had answered yourself in your latest post. I think you can measure education by how well people integrate into *life* and by how they use the skills that they have learned at school in real life situations. That's often the trouble with a very academic education - it's hard to apply to real life because it's so dry and remote.

Sounds like your daughter has had an excellent education.

Sue
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Probably the only thing your missing is that your kids havent been thorough the education system here yet, the article should make perfect sense to anyone whos kids are in australia, well in older grades where you notice the effect of these things. I didnt think it was hard to understand at all sorry if it confused you.

Its also a fairly commonly raised topic in australia, one now being addressed by the gov as there has been so critical comment on it, and findings show many kids are leaving school without the basics in reading, maths etc. Many would like to see more traditional education methods brought back.
It is also a constant topic of discussion in the UK. And believe me, scores of children are leaving UK schools without the basics.

As someone else said, it all comes down a particular child in a particular school. What works for one will statistically fail another. My husband and I both went to the same Secondary School. He hated every day of it and came out with very few 'O' levels, I loved it, and stayed on to 6th form and did 'A' Levels.

One person's experience cannot be turned into a blanket "fact" about "Australian Education" as a whole.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It is also a constant topic of discussion in the UK. And believe me, scores of children are leaving UK schools without the basics.

As someone else said, it all comes down a particular child in a particular school. What works for one will statistically fail another. My husband and I both went to the same Secondary School. He hated every day of it and came out with very few 'O' levels, I loved it, and stayed on to 6th form and did 'A' Levels.

One person's experience cannot be turned into a blanket "fact" about "Australian Education" as a whole.
Very good post, Exactly whats good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander.

Bella (Sue) Mentioned Steiner, When our first born came along, we where very idealistic, and sought out Steiner and Montesorret (sp) type schools. She basically had her 3 years of Education in this fashion. When you send a child to this kind of school you also have to Live the life (IE: limited or no TV, thinking about every aspect of exposure to the world that they have). Now because the people that send children to these schools, are normally very idealistic, things become a tad extreme. Therein lies the fault in those alternative types of schools. Our oldest still, although now to a much lesser degree, has trouble relating to mainstream people. I put that down to being on the edge of mainstream society in her very early schooling.

When we Started putting Daughter no 2 through the same system, I decided that this whole alternative thing wasn't for me in particular, Lets just say it was an extremely interesting time at home. I got my way, and we put the other 3 kids through mainstream schooling.

Problem was, I'm the sort of person, that likes a dose of Benny Hill after watching with the same amount of interest, "the habits of the nomads in the far eastern Sahara" or has one meal down the Health food shop, and the next at Macdonalds.

Steiner and Montesorret great in theory, but can the parents actually live it, and live with the other parents, that school their kids that way.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I would have honestly thought that was a pre-requisite in both countries ?

Early on it was clear that our 2nd Daughter was not as good at math, as her older sister, and most of her peers, Hence one Kumon course later, and a bit of help from mum and dad, she got long division and long multiplication under her belt. Thats all we felt we needed in her case.

My kids have always done something extra, from tae-kwon-doe lessons (expensive at 75 aud each per month) but very character building. Through to Drama, music. IE: my 7 year old is showing great strengths in his art work, we put him into every little course we can. He has done kids courses at the art gallery, showing him "why" people draw etc etc. Any strength or weakness should always be supplemented by extra-curricula lessons.

One point that I don't think has been made clearly enough about the Aussie system, I guess I took it for granted, is the way they teach kids to be confident in front of others. With lots of empathsis on Public speaking, and negotiating with peers. I know that when my Daughter in England is in front of a interview, whether it be one person or 3 she will have the confidence and the tools to take control of the situation, and impress easily, as she has been taught to. Little things like 3 people barking questions all at the same time will be met with "one at a time please, or I cannot understand you" and other tools for guiding people her way.

I have just spent ages writing a long winded post about my thoughts on this matter and the computer has kindly crashed (again ) and wiped it all off and I cant bothered to type it all out again!!!! .

So all I will say is that only NKSK and ozzieeagle have mentioned parents responsibility in education their children. It is all too easy to blame the country in question, government, individual school or teacher for a childs educational failings. I think that parents should be held accountable as well. I am not pointing the finger at anybody on here just soceity in general but it winds me up the way teachers get blamed for everything. Parents should supplement their childs education and also take some of the blame when it is not up to standard.

I am not in Australia yet so can only take the view that I have learnt on this website and that is that Australian schools place a bigger emphasis on sport, social interactions and confidence building exercises tha the 3 Rs. I think these social skills are of equal importance. Its all well and good having a marvellous education with loads of letters after your name if you have no social skills to back them up.

I also believe that making school a bit more fun helps to keep the kids interested. I spent more time nicking off school than I did attending. Hence I was in my late 20s by the time I made it to University. I think kids should be allowed to be kids and have a bit of fun whilst getting educated!!!

Tracey
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I have just spent ages writing a long winded post about my thoughts on this matter and the computer has kindly crashed (again ) and wiped it all off and I cant bothered to type it all out again!!!! .

So all I will say is that only NKSK and ozzieeagle have mentioned parents responsibility in education their children. It is all too easy to blame the country in question, government, individual school or teacher for a childs educational failings. I think that parents should be held accountable as well. I am not pointing the finger at anybody on here just soceity in general but it winds me up the way teachers get blamed for everything. Parents should supplement their childs education and also take some of the blame when it is not up to standard.

I am not in Australia yet so can only take the view that I have learnt on this website and that is that Australian schools place a bigger emphasis on sport, social interactions and confidence building exercises tha the 3 Rs. I think these social skills are of equal importance. Its all well and good having a marvellous education with loads of letters after your name if you have no social skills to back them up.

I also believe that making school a bit more fun helps to keep the kids interested. I spent more time nicking off school than I did attending. Hence I was in my late 20s by the time I made it to University. I think kids should be allowed to be kids and have a bit of fun whilst getting educated!!!

Tracey
you will get on fine here then Tracey, because, its true what you say they do spend a lot of time having fun, being kids , as well as learning.
My boys are so much more confident, the kids here all seem to be really confident ,mine are on the stage, playing music, happy and so friendly. They get homework during the week but not at weekends because weekend is for fun. It can be very stresful on the whole family when they bring home so much homework especially when you have a big family, i found this in the Uk.
I hated school and i nicked off as well, all my 6 have and still do love school, and that is very important.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.