Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having a nice time but not learning anything

Having a nice time but not learning anything

Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a nice time but not learning anything

One thing for prospective migrants, don't come to Australia to try to get away from perceived inadequacies in the British system. I often see it in lists of why people emigrate and I shake my head and think, "just you wait"
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
One thing for prospective migrants, don't come to Australia to try to get away from perceived inadequacies in the British system. I often see it in lists of why people emigrate and I shake my head and think, "just you wait"
I agree. I for one am not coming for any reason other than to experience a new way of life and to give my kids even more opportunities than they have now. The point of my post was in some ways to point out the fact that its not always the fault of the system when things dont run smoothly and we have to take some responsibility for ourselves. Not just in our education but in all areas of life. There are lots of things that we cant do anything about such as the weather but there are lots of things that we can improve if we try.

We need to look at what we dont like about the UK and see whether or not moving to a new country will change anything. We are all very fortunate in that we have a fantastic opportunity that many others do not get. That is to be able to have the choice to move to Australia or not. If its only the education system that puts you off then perhaps you should try and look at some home tutoring to supplement it!!!!

Tracey
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:02 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Very good post, Exactly whats good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander.

Bella (Sue) Mentioned Steiner, When our first born came along, we where very idealistic, and sought out Steiner and Montesorret (sp) type schools. She basically had her 3 years of Education in this fashion. When you send a child to this kind of school you also have to Live the life (IE: limited or no TV, thinking about every aspect of exposure to the world that they have). Now because the people that send children to these schools, are normally very idealistic, things become a tad extreme. Therein lies the fault in those alternative types of schools. Our oldest still, although now to a much lesser degree, has trouble relating to mainstream people. I put that down to being on the edge of mainstream society in her very early schooling.

When we Started putting Daughter no 2 through the same system, I decided that this whole alternative thing wasn't for me in particular, Lets just say it was an extremely interesting time at home. I got my way, and we put the other 3 kids through mainstream schooling.

Problem was, I'm the sort of person, that likes a dose of Benny Hill after watching with the same amount of interest, "the habits of the nomads in the far eastern Sahara" or has one meal down the Health food shop, and the next at Macdonalds.

Steiner and Montesorret great in theory, but can the parents actually live it, and live with the other parents, that school their kids that way.
I think you are absolutely right. I have known parents with children at Steiner schools who have really lived the life and to me they're on another planet. I can basically understand why they have this no TV policy and no plastic toys policy, but extending that to home life so rigidly isn't really practical. But I've also known kids at Steiner schools that aren't so draconian, but do apply the philosophy of learning through play and all the other *good* stuff who have been completely adjusted to the *normal* world around them.

As with everything, some folk will take it to the extreme - others will just take what they need from the best of it. Extremists aren't any fun in any guise...

Sue
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Jake is studying 'interpersonal relationships' this term. In the Uk he was told about eggs and sperm etc. Here they are talking about relationships first. However, todays lesson involved writing 3 ways that you would like a girl/boy to show that they cared for you. Needless to say most of the boys wrote 'root me' or variations . They were also asked to draw their ideal partner - Jake's mate drew a woman with big breasts cooking. The girls wrote stuff about maturity and honesty - ha ha. Anyway, it lead to a good class discussion (and dinner discussion at home).
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Having a nice time but not learning anything

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Steiner and Montesorret great in theory, but can the parents actually live it, and live with the other parents, that school their kids that way.
I went to a Montessori school, and loved it. When I finally moved to a state school, I was well ahead of my peers.

I eventually went on to win an award for excellence in Year 12 English, achieving the highest score in the state.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I went to a Montessori school, and loved it. When I finally moved to a state school, I was well ahead of my peers.

I eventually went on to win an award for excellence in Year 12 English, achieving the highest score in the state.
But if you are a "boffin" (sorry first born's word, not mine ) would that have happened anyway if you had spent your early years in a state school. We will never know
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:01 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
But if you are a "boffin" (sorry first born's word, not mine ) would that have happened anyway if you had spent your early years in a state school. We will never know

no i dont agree

As that gets us into a nature or nurture discussion

personally I believe that its mostly nurture and that any child ( within reason )
can be taught, for example children brought up in a home with two languages
easily learn to speak both fluently, in the early development years they are like little sponges and take it all in by repetition, its only later on in life that we have to learn anything where the advantage lies with intelligence

thats my theory anyway

regards

steve
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
no i dont agree

As that gets us into a nature or nurture discussion

personally I believe that its mostly nurture and that any child ( within reason )
can be taught, for example children brought up in a home with two languages
easily learn to speak both fluently, in the early development years they are like little sponges and take it all in by repetition, its only later on in life that we have to learn anything where the advantage lies with intelligence

thats my theory anyway

regards

steve
I didn't make a statement, I asked a question - granted the question mark was missing at the end
Sorry, a bit of light hearted fun at the expense of Vash
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Having a nice time but not learning anything

Quite possibly.

I do have glasses, so perhaps I am a boffin.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
Education is a waste of time. The Pom system turns kids into intellectual boring nerds . The OZ system where kids muck around all day playing sport ,having a good time and learning nothing is much better.
gee can i be in wombats class
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:36 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=RReed]Asked my kids (in state school) what they thought..
Daughter 11yrs = School work is easier than the uk. Curriculum more varied (doing surfing lessons at the moment). More creative stuff - art and music. More 'character building' stuff like doing speeches, elections for prefects.

Wish i went to that school !
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:37 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lor]
Originally Posted by RReed
Asked my kids (in state school) what they thought..
Daughter 11yrs = School work is easier than the uk. Curriculum more varied (doing surfing lessons at the moment). More creative stuff - art and music. More 'character building' stuff like doing speeches, elections for prefects.

Wish i went to that school !
Arn't kids bound to enjoy a school much more if they are not being made to actually work? I know I would much prefur to go to an Aussie school from the sound of it but I still think learning how to read,write, maths and sciences is more important than being able to make a good speech or being good at sport? Also from the amount of homework they seem to get wouldn't that imply they go to school to play and leave the actual work untill they get home? I know from my school experiance that when a teacher wanted an easy lesson and didn't want to work they would start a debate or something like it to pass the time quicker.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RReed
Jake is studying 'interpersonal relationships' this term. In the Uk he was told about eggs and sperm etc. Here they are talking about relationships first. However, todays lesson involved writing 3 ways that you would like a girl/boy to show that they cared for you. Needless to say most of the boys wrote 'root me' or variations . They were also asked to draw their ideal partner - Jake's mate drew a woman with big breasts cooking. The girls wrote stuff about maturity and honesty - ha ha. Anyway, it lead to a good class discussion (and dinner discussion at home).

Sperm and egg lessons were back in grade 7 the boys go with a man teacher the girls with a woman and watch a video then have a discussion, bet the teachers draw straws for that job, the parents have to sign permission slips for them go and there is always one poor bugga whos mother decides its best she goes too :scared: the kid must die having mum along
Theres a ritual involved the grade 6's who cant get in eagerly await any contacts in grade 7 coming out and lunch hour is spent giggling at why the teachers were calling shagging sexual intercourse etc

I think grade 7's a bit late these days, all of my sons grade 6 class are paired off already.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

No, the school has lots to do with it. I also believed that a clever child will do well in any school. I learned the hard way when my son was failing and depressed in his 'good' state school. The difference a change of school has made is 100% in his state of mind and attainment level.

Rachel
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=arkon]
Originally Posted by lor
Arn't kids bound to enjoy a school much more if they are not being made to actually work? I know I would much prefur to go to an Aussie school from the sound of it but I still think learning how to read,write, maths and sciences is more important than being able to make a good speech or being good at sport? Also from the amount of homework they seem to get wouldn't that imply they go to school to play and leave the actual work untill they get home? I know from my school experiance that when a teacher wanted an easy lesson and didn't want to work they would start a debate or something like it to pass the time quicker.
There seems to be more variety in the oz system. As well as the 'fun' stuff there are maths clubs and debating clubs. I think the most important thing of for kids to enjoy learning not how much they learn. If they enjoy learning they will continue to want to learn throughout their life. Attainment at school is not be b all and end all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.