Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Property Swindle

The Great Australian Property Swindle

Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:37 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Great Australian Property Swindle

Originally Posted by Steve2009
FHBB 2.0? See if they can fool the bogans twice.
Unlikely.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:38 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

No mention of first home vendor's grant in either of them.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:39 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
That's a new one on me.

I knew what you meant...

S
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

No mention of first home vendor's grant in either of them.
I'm assuming your post was a joke, he was referring to the real motivation behind the FHB. I just wanted to throw that article in there, not that it should be news to anyone.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:45 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming your post was a joke, he was referring to the real motivation behind the FHB. I just wanted to throw that article in there, not that it should be news to anyone.

I think the confusion has arisen over the use of the term 'First Home VENDORS Grant' as opposed to anything else.

I believe that Rambi was articulating that he wasn't aware of any such scheme.

S
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:46 am
Rhino with a big horn!

It was playful.

It's funny how many think that the FHBG was started by Labor.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

That's the problem with conveying certain forms of humour in print, you're not sure who's joking and who's not.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

It was playful.

It's funny how many think that the FHBG was started by Labor.
The boost was Labour though? Or is there a suggestion that play came solely from the administrators?
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:50 am
Rhino with a big horn!

The boost was Labour though? Or is there a suggestion that play came solely from the administrators?
The boost was Labor and that's obviously what confuses people.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I was gunna say, First Home Vendors Boost is probably more appropriate.

I agree the boost was seriously bad policy.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

The boost was Labor and that's obviously what confuses people.
Note that it's 'Labour' in Ireland. I'll have to adjust my spelling to avoid blowing my cover over here.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld

I'd question the merits of the policy altogether. If there is a 'property ladder' as we're led to believe then this is always a subsidy to vendors because every buyer in this market has this subsidy so there is no advantage to the buyer.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:54 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Note that it's 'Labour' in Ireland. I'll have to adjust my spelling to avoid blowing my cover over here.
It's Labour in the UK as well. I believe it was King O'Malley (an American in the ALP) who pushed for the name change to emphasize closer relations with the US.

Last edited by Rambi; Apr 16th 2011 at 7:02 am. Reason: grammar :D
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

It's Labour in the UK as well. I believe King O'Malley (an American in the ALP) who pushed for the name change to emphasis closer relations with the US.
Thanks for that nugget, I was curious but not curious enough to do the leg work to find out why.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:59 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by bcworld

I'm not sure I could call it. It was principally aimed at providing stimulus to the economy rather than to boost housing. Housing at that time didn't need boosting whereas the economy needed protecting. As the economy faired quite well it could be said that it was good policy. If it was bad policy I think it's too early to call. If we have a serious housing market crash across the whole of Aus in the next 2 years then I would be prepared to call it bad policy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.