Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Property Swindle

The Great Australian Property Swindle

Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Great Australian Property Swindle

Originally Posted by HUP
Were not Australian and we are well aware that there are many options for investment. Were happy with our choices but always keep our options open. That said property has been a fantastic investment to us throughout our lives as we have always added capital value and sold at a profit.
Yep it takes no brains and it relies on luck so good for most people.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:14 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluid36
Yep it takes no brains and it relies on luck so good for most people.

Previously I might have risen to the bait but not anymore. You sound a very bitter sort. All that picking at knits perhaps
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HUP
Previously I might have risen to the bait but not anymore. You sound a very bitter sort. All that picking at knits perhaps
I pointed out a fact, I've bought and sold properties for a profit in my time but made much more off the share market. Why not keep it on topic rather than getting sensitive and personal about a fact, it's not a good look for you.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:33 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

I pointed out a fact, I've bought and sold properties for a profit in my time but made much more off the share market. Why not keep it on topic rather than getting sensitive and personal about a fact, it's not a good look for you.
I'm so sorry, there was me thinking you were trying to get a rise out of me. I'm a sensitive little soul me.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HUP
I'm so sorry, there was me thinking you were trying to get a rise out of me. I'm a sensitive little soul me.
Sorry, I was trying to get my point in.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:45 am
HUP
Brain Drained

Sorry, I was trying to get my point in.
Perhaps by implying we had no idea of investments, no brains and relied upon luck was not the best way of achieving that?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HUP
Perhaps by implying we had no idea of investments, no brains and relied upon luck was not the best way of achieving that?
I didn't say you personally, I said that investing in property in general. You chose to take it personally which is fine.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 1:19 am
HUP
Brain Drained

I didn't say you personally, I said that investing in property in general. You chose to take it personally which is fine.
I'd have to disagree on that. I think property investment whilst there is luck involved you do have to;

1) Do your research to try and ensure your buying in the right area.
2) Ensure that you can add capital value to the property without major expense.
3) Source and implement the capital improvements at the best price.

Whilst both shares and property offer different methods of achieving a return on investment you cannot really compare them. There are spruikers on both the property and share side of the argument and generally they are the ones behind the bubbles in both markets
Old Apr 7th 2011, 9:22 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

The real estate industry and mainstream media is twisting itself in knots trying to make property market appear healthy through fudged clearance rates (Melbourne was supposed to be having 800-900 auctions weekly, but figures provided show much fewer to come up with 60% clearance rates), planting population growth articles early in week e.g. 1500 new residents to Melbourne (old news based on old peak data) but new arrivals dropped significantly, extrapolating tiny increments, misleading headlines contradicted by body of article etc. etc.

Reliable property news is available from SQM Research e.g.:

The below is just some of the data that is presented in the SQM Home Discounts Report. Click here for the Full report or take a look at what the actual report looks like.

Address First Advertised Inital Asking Now Asking
St Kilda Rd Melbourne 4 Jul 2009 $440,000 $430,000
Collins St Melbourne 18 Aug 2009 $2,100,000 $2,000,000
Market St Melbourne 10 Jun 2008 $360,000 $300,000+
Market St Melbourne 19 Mar 2008 $325,000 $230,000.00

There are now 701 properties in the postcode of 3000 that have been on the market for two months or more. Click here to look at them.

Be in the know – Click here to see the full list of discounted properties and how long they have been on the market for.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: The Great Australian Property Swindle

Originally Posted by balkanghost
Address First Advertised Inital Asking Now Asking
St Kilda Rd Melbourne 4 Jul 2009 $440,000 $430,000
Collins St Melbourne 18 Aug 2009 $2,100,000 $2,000,000
Market St Melbourne 10 Jun 2008 $360,000 $300,000+
Market St Melbourne 19 Mar 2008 $325,000 $230,000.00
Only two of those properties have been significantly discounted. The others have barely moved. A prospective buyer would likely offer less than $430k for the $440k house anyway. Additionally, I'm not sure how three year old house prices are relevant to the 2011 market.

There's no doubt house prices have plateaued for some years. But the margins are not substantial. It's definitely cheaper to rent than to buy. But that was equally true 30 years ago.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Only two of those properties have been significantly discounted. The others have barely moved. A prospective buyer would likely offer less than $430k for the $440k house anyway. Additionally, I'm not sure how three year old house prices are relevant to the 2011 market.

There's no doubt house prices have plateaued for some years. But the margins are not substantial. It's definitely cheaper to rent than to buy. But that was equally true 30 years ago.
Interesting as I've just looked on Realestate.com.au... and cannot find the properties for sale that you have quoted.

Can you point to links that show these prices quoted please ?

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/pro...ic+3000/list-4

I can see some places in Market st asking 379,000 plus. ????

Got to admit there are a lot for sale... maybe this is the one ?

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...urne-105583784

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 7th 2011 at 10:37 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:50 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

If you want to get an idea of how willing to sell your vendor may be this site is very useful

http://www.refindhouseprices.com

It will show you how long a property has been on the market and whether the price has been reduced (and by how much)
Old Apr 7th 2011, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
If you want to get an idea of how willing to sell your vendor may be this site is very useful

It will show you how long a property has been on the market and whether the price has been reduced (and by how much)

Thats one hell of a useful site !
Old Apr 7th 2011, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HUP

am luvin this website
Old Apr 7th 2011, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Thats one hell of a useful site !
good innit, makes me think i may even buy a house one day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.