Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is the grass really greener?

is the grass really greener?

Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is the grass really greener?

Originally Posted by iPom
Wendy! Back off. He's mine.... mine, I tell you!

Oops sorry Will leave him alone

Originally Posted by Teabag
Adelaide is waay hotter than Perth, no breezes, my husband grew up there, I have family there. Please don't go to Adelaide

Of course there are breezes in Adelaide! It's glorious here today, about 34 degrees with a lovely COOL breeze.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:53 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Of course there are breezes in Adelaide! It's glorious here today, about 34 degrees with a lovely COOL breeze.
It's all the hot air being blown in from Perth, Wend.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

AllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud of
Smile Re: is the grass really greener?

Originally Posted by RachaelW
Thanks Ally
Am very close to making the right decision I feel. Australia really does seem like a better place to bring up children and now would be the best time to go.
This has been a very helpful thread to read. Thank you for starting it. I wish you every success with your application and you never know, might meet in Adelaide some day. I know you were thinking of living there. A good forum is www.pomsinadelaide.com the people on here are so helpful and friendly and it is slightly smaller and specific to Adelaide. A good website is: www.adelaidebound.com.
Rachael.
Hi Rachael
You're welcome - and thanks to most of you who participated with useful! information. Hope it has all helped - it has certainly helped me. Thanks for the adelaide links i will certainly be visiting them. Good luck to you too with your decisions and application. It would be lovely to meet in Adelaide some day. Keep us posted of any further developments.
Take care. Allison.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:06 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
My children, when they were 10-12 ish were able to walk to friends or school alone because that was the sort of area we lived in. Just as not ALL Australia is fantastic and wonderful, Britain is not ALL muggings, rape and angry people with guns

This is very true. There are always kids over the field opposite me and I see them playing out and walking to the local shop.
A couple of years ago someone wrote a book called Paranoid Parenting. he argued that our kids are no more at risk now from being abducted or attacked than we were 20 years ago. We are just so much more paranoid now.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Media has made us all more aware of it, too much information in the information age! Media is very good for reporting gloom and doom
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

AllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud of

Ok - i think we all appreciate that both Oz and the Uk have problems, but for the brits in Oz problems will be dealt with differnetly due to it being a new start etc.. & the same for the Aussies in the UK.
Therefore, can we get back to the main topic of what the brits already in Oz think of Oz & whether it has turned out to be all that they expected. Or can Aussies now in the UK or who have had experience of living in the UK say what they think of Oz in comparison to their time in the UK.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks
Al