Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is the grass really greener?

is the grass really greener?

Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

AllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud of
Question is the grass really greener?

Hi everyone - i'm a newbee to the forum and have found it very informative - thankyou to all of you for sharing your experiences - it really helps those of us who are at the beginning stages.

We are still indecisive about our move to Oz and have been toying with the idea for a couple of years now. We are wondering whether the grass really is greener and whether that is why people keep ping ponging back to the UK. Why do a lot of brits only stay for a few years & then come back?

How do you decide where to settle? we are coming out for a holiday in March 2008 and are very excited but very nervous too - as we have 2 young children and the thought of that flight terrifies me! Depending on the following request will determine where we visit - so any help will be appreciated.

The main things that will help us to decide on where to settle is obviously IT work for my OH but also good schools. Is there the equivalent to OFSTED and performance tables for each school over there? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction please. I have seen info on each school but not in the way of performance etc..

Good luck to all of you who have just moved or are moving very shortly!

Allison
Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is the grass really greener?

It depends on whether there is drought conditions where you are, the angle of the sun and whether you are wearing your sunnies or not.

Seriously - probably not. It is for some, it's not for others. For most it's just a different shade. Everyone's wants and needs and expectations are completely different.

Good luck.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice

Hi Allison,

first of all welcome to the forum - I hope this place can help you with anything you might need to know.

Our friends started their visa process about 3 years ago and they got us thinking about applying too. We were there for a 3 week holiday in Jan 06. I have to say that if I was basing my decision solely on that holiday I would not be going. It's a lot of pressure having to decide something so HUGE in the space of a holiday. We have been back and forward with our decision for the last 3 YEARS. The absolute only thing that has made up my mind has been signing up with the visa agent!! I could never have been 100% about staying or going. My OH is quite a bit older than me and the fact that he was going to lose another 5 points on his 40th birthday (mid March 2007!) made up his mind. God forbid anything ever happens between us but being only 27 I would still have the chance to do something like this but Paul would not!!

The point of this was to say that you may never be 100% sure about your decision. The old cliche "you only get one shot at this life" was never more apt as when making this choice!

I don't think the grass is greener - it's just the same grass in a different environment. There will be things you like and dislike about Oz, just like the UK.

Also are you scared of the flight because you are scared of flying or because you will have your two young children with you? I was TERRIFIED of flying until I went to Oz. There is so much to keep you occupied that you cannot sit with your hands gripped tightly to the headrest of the seat in front of you for the entire flight! You will be able to relax, I promise! There is slightly more room on these flights too which makes it a wee bit more comfortable. Please try not to focus too much on how scared you might be - just imagine what is waiting for you at the other end!!

Oz is gorgeous - you have to see it to believe it.

I hope this has been of even a wee bit help.

Good luck coming to a decision.

Yvonnex
Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

AllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud of
Smile Re: is the grass really greener?

Hi Yvonne

Life is too short - that is what has got us motivated again, as we have lost 2 close relatives in the space of 18months! And i know in a few years time as this country gets worse, we will be saying what if?

Are you in Oz now? If so, where?

I don't like flying and that is what put us off coming over for a holiday before we had the children - but i wish we had done now! I have a 2 & 5 yr old and the 2 yr old was a nightmare just on a short flight to disney in paris - so that is why i am dreading such a long flight as he won't sit still!

One of the main reasons for lookng at oz is a better working life style, as my husband works long hours in the UK, but i have read a few threads where people are still working long hours in OZ to make ends meet. In your experience do you know any different?

Thanks for your response.

Allison
Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:47 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Same shit shinier bucket and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to your cryptic question, a cryptic answer - the reason the animal puts its head through the gate or fence to eat the grass on the other side is that he/she THINKS it might be greener/better.

Is it really important whether it IS greener or is it more important that one gives it a try or perhaps believes it is greener? As in life itself, some 'animals' will think the grass is greener and some 'animals' will think it isn't greener and return to their field (or paddock). As the usual lottery slogans go, you'll never know until you have a go or you've got to be in it to win it.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea". (Eric Cantona)

OzTennis
Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AllyKev
Hi everyone - i'm a newbee to the forum and have found it very informative - thankyou to all of you for sharing your experiences - it really helps those of us who are at the beginning stages.

We are still indecisive about our move to Oz and have been toying with the idea for a couple of years now. We are wondering whether the grass really is greener and whether that is why people keep ping ponging back to the UK. Why do a lot of brits only stay for a few years & then come back?

How do you decide where to settle? we are coming out for a holiday in March 2008 and are very excited but very nervous too - as we have 2 young children and the thought of that flight terrifies me! Depending on the following request will determine where we visit - so any help will be appreciated.

The main things that will help us to decide on where to settle is obviously IT work for my OH but also good schools. Is there the equivalent to OFSTED and performance tables for each school over there? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction please. I have seen info on each school but not in the way of performance etc..

Good luck to all of you who have just moved or are moving very shortly!

Allison

Really an impossible question but reading the threads on this site gives some insight.
People go to Aus for the outdoor life style, relaxed environment, good environemnt for bringing kids up in a healthy way with lots of opportunity for outdoor activities, trying something new before it is too late, bigger house, beach you can swim in most the year round (except the Northen territories), being able to have a swimming pool, less road congestion, new exciting places to visit, climate, too wet and cold, they hate Tony Blair and David Cameron, country is going to the dogs, not enough jobs,
people come back because they say it is boring, lacks culture, miss family and friends, miss pub culture, don't get integrated, feel isolated, poor wages/career prospects, dangerous wildlife, getting less money, no football, other half hates it, too hot, too far from Europe,

Me, i am looking forward to a change, i feel that it will be a good environment to bring up children, the job sounds interesting, i cannot stand getting stuck in traffic every time you want to leave East Anglia and a would like to think i will have a healthier life style there and enjoy more sporting activities...

each to theri own. If you hate flying try Perth, the flight is 4 hours less than other Aussie cities

Good luck
Old Feb 27th 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

It is only that I am now closer to actually getting my visa have I begun to wonder. "Do I actually want to go". It looks to be about the same in the way of cost of living, but wages are a little down on the UK.

However, I am not going for these reasons, I am going for the outdoor life, the weather and the more relaxed atmosphere.

I am 50/50 at the moment, both me and my partner have good jobs and are settled. But if I didn't go I would hate to turn around to her in 20 years and say "what if we had gone". I therefore MUST go and try it. Only then will I truly know what I should have done.

I have been there 3 times in the last few years, the second time is the only time I wanted to come home for some reason ?? The first and last time, I was dreading coming home, I wanted to stay in OZ so badly.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Really an impossible question but reading the threads on this site gives some insight.
People go to Aus for the outdoor life style, relaxed environment, good environemnt for bringing kids up in a healthy way with lots of opportunity for outdoor activities, trying something new before it is too late, bigger house, beach you can swim in most the year round (except the Northen territories), being able to have a swimming pool, less road congestion, new exciting places to visit, climate, too wet and cold, they hate Tony Blair and David Cameron, country is going to the dogs, not enough jobs,
people come back because they say it is boring, lacks culture, miss family and friends, miss pub culture, don't get integrated, feel isolated, poor wages/career prospects, dangerous wildlife, getting less money, no football, other half hates it, too hot, too far from Europe,

Me, i am looking forward to a change, i feel that it will be a good environment to bring up children, the job sounds interesting, i cannot stand getting stuck in traffic every time you want to leave East Anglia and a would like to think i will have a healthier life style there and enjoy more sporting activities...

each to theri own. If you hate flying try Perth, the flight is 4 hours less than other Aussie cities

Good luck
Good post!

I take it that the people who return because of a perceived lack of culture and the people who return because they miss the pub culture are two mutually exclusive groups?

OzTennis
Old Feb 27th 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Good post!

I take it that the people who return because of a perceived lack of culture and the people who return because they miss the pub culture are two mutually exclusive groups?

OzTennis
I must admit this bit makes me wonder, I was never short of a decent pub or night club when I was there, infact one of the best nights out I have ever had was in Leederville (Perth) I think. I honestly can't 100% remember.

There is pubs in most of the suburbs that seemed to fill all of the criteria of a "locals" pub.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Chrispy & Phil

Thanks for the thoughts - it does make you wonder! But as you say if we don't try it, i know we will regret it in some years to come.

Good luck with your visa Phil - hope all goes swimmingly and that when you get there - the grass is much greener for you!

Where abouts in Oz are you both hoping to settle?

Good luck

Ally
Old Feb 27th 2007, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Chrispy & Phil

Thanks for the thoughts - it does make you wonder! But as you say if we don't try it, i know we will regret it in some years to come.

Good luck with your visa Phil - hope all goes swimmingly and that when you get there - the grass is much greener for you!

Where abouts in Oz are you both hoping to settle?

Good luck

Ally
Hi Ally,
As you say, i think if you don't try you will always wonder... i have lived abroad twice, both in quite interesting exotic locations and really enjoyed and appreciated the experiance..
We are off to Perth as soon as we get the visa... hopefully it will not be too long..

Good luck with waht ever you decide

Cheers

Chris
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Chris

I'm really pleased for you - that you have actually reached a decision and are going for it. Hope it all works out as planned.

Do you have any children? if so - how old are they? How have you gone about finding the best school for your children, as i can't find anything which says how schools are graded by performance etc...

Best wishes

Ally
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:17 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We are wondering whether the grass really is greener and whether that is why people keep ping ponging back to the UK. Why do a lot of brits only stay for a few years & then come back?
You should bear in mind that the people who return to the UK are in the minority. So is the grass greener? Only you can decide - it is for us
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

How long have you been in Oz?

Do you have any information on schools - performance tables.. that sort of thing?

Ally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.