Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going it alone - scared to death!

Going it alone - scared to death!

Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going it alone - scared to death!

Originally Posted by flying dutchman
Hi all,
I haven't posted on this board for a while although i have been lurking in the background watching the fate of those unfold who are applying for, or going through the horrendous wait for the visa.

My partner and I got skilled visas last July and went off on our validation trip to Perth later that month. Perth wasn't what I expected or hoped for and i felt too isolated and it also felt very American to me. No criticism of anyone living there or choosing it, but after Mebourne, I was personally disappointed. The beaches and scenery were awesome though, but I feel I want more from life.

Anyway, we got back and sadly went our separate ways and I am now planning to go it alone. There are no visa restrictions on me doing this and we had in fact always said one or both of us would go it alone if we no longer chose to be together.

So, I am now trying to work out when to make the move. I am gonna go for Melbourne as I loved it there, job prospects are better for me and I loved the European feel of the place. I have lived in quite a few coutries in my life so know the settling in bit re different culture won't be a problem. Its just REALLY scary to think when i get there is will know no one and have to get through the initial "what the hell have i done" times on my own.

I have decided to postpone my departure until October giving me more time to get used to the idea, one more European summer and then move there as the weather improves again.

I remember reading posts from people who had their departures booked, saying they were nervous, worried or downright petrified and thinking 'what a load of crap'. All I could think about was getting the visa. Now its a reality, I can honestly say it is scary. I guess that's why I am back on this board - reading positive (and not so positive) experiences and preparing myself.

Its funny, I can imagine myself living there, but the thought of getting off the plain with all my crap and thinking - 'ok now what?' is a little freaky. Anyway, I just wanted to share that thought really and would be interested in hearing from others who have gone it alone, so to speak!
I haven't read all the other replies yet. But I went to Oz on my own and not knowing a soul, landing in Melbourne first. It was a mixture of nerves and excitement, I was also lucky that when I was working people went out of their way to make me feel welcome and invited me to bbq's etc to help me meet more people. Certainly found it easier than some of the other countries I lived in. The good thing is people generally do take you on face value and since you don't have a past of maybe people knowing you when you were 5 years old, sometimes people can hold you back with memories etc. It can be a lonely ride sometimes whilst you are making new friends, but look at is as an adventure and you will also make some great friends, I know because I did and they became my adopted family.

Sometimes it's easier to go alone because you often make more effort than if you go with other people.

Wish you much happiness and adventure.