Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going it alone - scared to death!

Going it alone - scared to death!

Old Jan 27th 2005, 2:17 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough
Default Going it alone - scared to death!

Hi all,
I haven't posted on this board for a while although i have been lurking in the background watching the fate of those unfold who are applying for, or going through the horrendous wait for the visa.

My partner and I got skilled visas last July and went off on our validation trip to Perth later that month. Perth wasn't what I expected or hoped for and i felt too isolated and it also felt very American to me. No criticism of anyone living there or choosing it, but after Mebourne, I was personally disappointed. The beaches and scenery were awesome though, but I feel I want more from life.

Anyway, we got back and sadly went our separate ways and I am now planning to go it alone. There are no visa restrictions on me doing this and we had in fact always said one or both of us would go it alone if we no longer chose to be together.

So, I am now trying to work out when to make the move. I am gonna go for Melbourne as I loved it there, job prospects are better for me and I loved the European feel of the place. I have lived in quite a few coutries in my life so know the settling in bit re different culture won't be a problem. Its just REALLY scary to think when i get there is will know no one and have to get through the initial "what the hell have i done" times on my own.

I have decided to postpone my departure until October giving me more time to get used to the idea, one more European summer and then move there as the weather improves again.

I remember reading posts from people who had their departures booked, saying they were nervous, worried or downright petrified and thinking 'what a load of crap'. All I could think about was getting the visa. Now its a reality, I can honestly say it is scary. I guess that's why I am back on this board - reading positive (and not so positive) experiences and preparing myself.

Its funny, I can imagine myself living there, but the thought of getting off the plain with all my crap and thinking - 'ok now what?' is a little freaky. Anyway, I just wanted to share that thought really and would be interested in hearing from others who have gone it alone, so to speak!
Old Jan 27th 2005, 2:22 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Going it alone - scared to death!

Originally Posted by flying dutchman
I can imagine myself living there, but the thought of getting off the plain with all my crap and thinking - 'ok now what?' is a little freaky. Anyway, I just wanted to share that thought really and would be interested in hearing from others who have gone it alone, so to speak!
Personally thats the bit i like the best...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 2:43 pm
Professional Princess

Hi all,
I haven't posted on this board for a while although i have been lurking in the background watching the fate of those unfold who are applying for, or going through the horrendous wait for the visa.

My partner and I got skilled visas last July and went off on our validation trip to Perth later that month. Perth wasn't what I expected or hoped for and i felt too isolated and it also felt very American to me. No criticism of anyone living there or choosing it, but after Mebourne, I was personally disappointed. The beaches and scenery were awesome though, but I feel I want more from life.

Anyway, we got back and sadly went our separate ways and I am now planning to go it alone. There are no visa restrictions on me doing this and we had in fact always said one or both of us would go it alone if we no longer chose to be together.

So, I am now trying to work out when to make the move. I am gonna go for Melbourne as I loved it there, job prospects are better for me and I loved the European feel of the place. I have lived in quite a few coutries in my life so know the settling in bit re different culture won't be a problem. Its just REALLY scary to think when i get there is will know no one and have to get through the initial "what the hell have i done" times on my own.

I have decided to postpone my departure until October giving me more time to get used to the idea, one more European summer and then move there as the weather improves again.

I remember reading posts from people who had their departures booked, saying they were nervous, worried or downright petrified and thinking 'what a load of crap'. All I could think about was getting the visa. Now its a reality, I can honestly say it is scary. I guess that's why I am back on this board - reading positive (and not so positive) experiences and preparing myself.

Its funny, I can imagine myself living there, but the thought of getting off the plain with all my crap and thinking - 'ok now what?' is a little freaky. Anyway, I just wanted to share that thought really and would be interested in hearing from others who have gone it alone, so to speak!

In my opinion, I think you should look at it this way:

You are about to enter one of the most exciting times of your life.

You will be going into a new culture, will have the opportunity to leave 'unwanted baggage' behind and embrace a new way of life.

Think of all the people that you will meet, new friends that may become best friends/good friends in the future.

You can reinvent yourself and tackle your fears and change various areas of your life.

A new job, a new home, a more relaxed way of living than what you are use to.

While it is sad that you have split up with your partner, there will be someone else out there for you and when the time is right, you will meet them.

Look on it as a chance to 'wipe the slate clean' and live your life the way you really want to.

Its normal to be scared and frightened but not many people are given a chance of a new life, so grab it with both hands.

So start planning your journey and remember that the best things in life, begin when you start looking forward to them.

Good luck.

Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:10 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
In my opinion, I think you should look at it this way:

You are about to enter one of the most exciting times of your life.

You will be going into a new culture, will have the opportunity to leave 'unwanted baggage' behind and embrace a new way of life.

Think of all the people that you will meet, new friends that may become best friends/good friends in the future.

You can reinvent yourself and tackle your fears and change various areas of your life.

A new job, a new home, a more relaxed way of living than what you are use to.

While it is sad that you have split up with your partner, there will be someone else out there for you and when the time is right, you will meet them.

Look on it as a chance to 'wipe the slate clean' and live your life the way you really want to.

Its normal to be scared and frightened but not many people are given a chance of a new life, so grab it with both hands.

So start planning your journey and remember that the best things in life, begin when you start looking forward to them.

Good luck.
Yep, you're right. That is the way I am seeing it. And I'm gonna go. Its just that the mind can play funny tricks on a guy (or gal) and i have times when I just can't see it happening.

I will be seeing as a chance to reinvent myself though - thanks for your reply!
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Does my memory serve me correct in that Melbourne was voted the most liveable city in the world last year?

That sounds like a good move to me!

Good luck.

Sandy
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Hi all,

Although i am not disagreeing with the comments of others I think it is easier to be blase about it when you are not going it alone. With the support of a partner etc it is bound to make the transition a little easier.

Having said that, as already mentioned, it will be the chance of a new life for you and it will be a clean slate.

I am also going alone (well with my 7 year old daughter) and I too am terrified at times, but i think that is to be expected. You will have all the upheaval and no real support at first so it is kinda :scared:

But the way i see it .....if i can do this alone, i can do anything. That which doesnt kill us makes us stronger and all that

Good luck to you and keep us posted on how it goes- we can swap lonely horror stories
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:28 pm
Merlot

This is what I like to read true and real stories from some very brave people!!

It gets a bit tiresome reading those up there own backsides a bit with there wonderful, perfect lives. Good for them but more often than not life in not plain sailing.

I wish you all the very best, you all deserve much happiness.

Merlot

Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:38 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

Thanks for all your support. Its a mental attitude thing. I know that the move will not kill me (rational thought), I also know that in every way, Melbourne is a better place to live than Southampton! Its just that fear of the unknown, of being an unknown and not knowing the in's and out's of life in a new place.

Its good to be back on the board in an active capacity by the way!
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:48 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Hi all,

Hi, be scared but be positive. I've felt just about evey emotion you can over the past couple of months and, at times, have been running purely on adrenaline. But I've always (well mostly) focussed on what's ahead and the enormity of it all. I'll be in Melbourne by Easter to join my wife who is already there. I can understand the strains that affect a relationship going through this process so I'm sorry you split from your partner. The same nearly happened to me. But think how sweet it will feel when you finally get to Melbourne. And there are loads of people on this site in Melbourne already to offer advice and encouragement. Before you get there, and once you're there.

Look forward to seeing you there, when we both make it

Carl
Old Jan 27th 2005, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Hi all,

I'm going on my own!!!!
I'm scared to bits and keep freaking out! But in my heart I am so, so excited.....and nervous and excited and nervous!!!
Good luck with everything - you're in the right place to get support and all the information you will need to help you with your new journey!!

Good luck to you.
Kristine.xx
Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Willow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

hi there at least u know what to expect when you get there i have never flown in my life im scared to death of hights and i got to take my 12 year old son with me u nervouse of getting off the plane im sh**ting getting on the plane but at lease once im up there i only have one stop and then land in the Arms of my fiance who left at the beging of december we are also goig to melbourne he started out in Perth and then drove to melbourne he said me and our son will like it better there coz it a bit cooler
we are goin out in 5 weeks if all goes well not booked flight yet but for the past week i have had more butterflys in my belly then i have in my life

well good luck to u
Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kristine
I'm going on my own!!!!
I'm scared to bits and keep freaking out! But in my heart I am so, so excited.....and nervous and excited and nervous!!!
Good luck with everything - you're in the right place to get support and all the information you will need to help you with your new journey!!

Good luck to you.
Kristine.xx

Hello everyone,
Me too! I'm going to Brisbane entirely on my own, I don't know a soul in the whole of the southern hemesphere... yet. Most of the time the thought scares me stupid but I know deep down that I need to do this for myself, that I would always be wondering -what if? If I didn't go and at least give it a try & I know that if it all goes horribly wrong I can come back to Uk again. So I AM going to go (IF the lovely DIMIA people ever tell me I can go.) I'm looking forward to the sunshine, the people I will meet, the new lifestyle etc BUT at 3 am when I can't sleep & I'm lying there thinking, it has to be the scariest & loneliest feeling in the world & I start to realise the sheer magnitude of it all & the mere thought becomes one of sheer torture & dread until the alarm goes off at 7am, its pitch black & pouring with murky rain & once again & I think- Can't wait to get to Oz- until that night when I can't sleep again. Is it just me or does everyone have the ups & downs?
Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:16 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by vikk
Hello everyone,
Me too! I'm going to Brisbane entirely on my own, I don't know a soul in the whole of the southern hemesphere... yet. Most of the time the thought scares me stupid but I know deep down that I need to do this for myself, that I would always be wondering -what if? If I didn't go and at least give it a try & I know that if it all goes horribly wrong I can come back to Uk again. So I AM going to go (IF the lovely DIMIA people ever tell me I can go.) I'm looking forward to the sunshine, the people I will meet, the new lifestyle etc BUT at 3 am when I can't sleep & I'm lying there thinking, it has to be the scariest & loneliest feeling in the world & I start to realise the sheer magnitude of it all & the mere thought becomes one of sheer torture & dread until the alarm goes off at 7am, its pitch black & pouring with murky rain & once again & I think- Can't wait to get to Oz- until that night when I can't sleep again. Is it just me or does everyone have the ups & downs?
Very natural, in my own experiences as an indpendent traveller in the 90's I had better fun and met more people when I was on my own.

In Australia in the working environment people are much more open and not as guarded as the Brits can be. This way you find you get invited to BBQ's, etc more readily.

Many of my Australian friends were a bit like a kid in a strange town as Australia being so huge, their families were scattered to you would find them feeling a little alone.

Hunt out some expats from this site, some nice folk out there.

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by vikk
Hello everyone,
Your certainly not alone vikk. I think there would be something seriously wrong if people in our position didnt have those feelings now and again. Its such a massive decision to make, but like you said, if it all goes horribly wrong we can always come back ( with our heads held in shame and everyone saying they knew it behind our backs! )
Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:21 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Your certainly not alone vikk. . . . ( with our heads held in shame and everyone saying they knew it behind our backs! )
No you don't otherwise we will have to call you Wombat42!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.