Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going it alone - scared to death!

Going it alone - scared to death!

Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Default Re: Going it alone - scared to death!

Originally Posted by Merlot
No you don't otherwise we will have to call you Wombat42!
thats enough to keep me there FOREVER
Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Your certainly not alone vikk. I think there would be something seriously wrong if people in our position didnt have those feelings now and again. Its such a massive decision to make, but like you said, if it all goes horribly wrong we can always come back ( with our heads held in shame and everyone saying they knew it behind our backs! )
So it's not just me that wakes in a panic about being lonely, isolated & jobless in the middle of the night then? Glad to know I'm not alone. Not that I wish anyone else to go through it - It's just nice to know it's perfectly normal. :scared:
Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by vikk
So it's not just me that wakes in a panic about being lonely, isolated & jobless in the middle of the night then? Glad to know I'm not alone. Not that I wish anyone else to go through it - It's just nice to know it's perfectly normal. :scared:
Mine includes penniless and partnerless too
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:36 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Mine includes penniless and partnerless too
Hey listen they have some great B & S Balls over there - Bachelor & Spinster Parties, mind you have to be into mullet head, Jimmy Barnes listening, beer swigging Aussies, and that is just the women

Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:01 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Just take a deep breath and go for it mate. You'll always wonder what if? if you don't go for it...

realestate.com.au for somewhere to live
seek.com.au for a job
and rsvp.com.au for a new partner....

Game set and match online?
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:55 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

This is what I like to read true and real stories from some very brave people!!

It gets a bit tiresome reading those up there own backsides a bit with there wonderful, perfect lives. Good for them but more often than not life in not plain sailing.

I wish you all the very best, you all deserve much happiness.

Merlot
Actually Merlot people very rarely, if ever, have wonderful, perfect lives. I suspect the people on this site who you refer to as "up their own backsides" generally have as tougher lives as others, however they prefer to get on with things rather than wallow in self pity and moan at every opportunity. Does this make their life perfect and "up their own backside"? I think not [you maybe have been a bit harsh there Merlot ]

As for Flying dutchman: I'm sure you'll be OK. It's a daunting process this migration malarky and there's no getting away from the emotional aspect of the move whether it's a family or a single person, we all go through the waves of emotional change. The good news is....migration doesn't kill you...so you ride the rough sea's and providing you've got a strong character, are prepared to face up to challenge,willing to work hard and not expect Aus to be like your home country, then you'll do well and be fine

Good luck!

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Jan 27th 2005 at 10:57 pm.

Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

It's right that you are scared. Moving to a new place is a very daunting and difficult thing to do regardless of whether you are alone or not. Melbourne is a wonderful place and I love it here but as with anything in life, it has it's up and downs. Scary as it is to be here, for me, it's scarier if I think that fear would have every stopped me from trying.

Good luck with everything!
Old Jan 27th 2005, 11:09 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Actually Merlot people very rarely, if ever, have wonderful, perfect lives. I suspect the people on this site who you refer to as "up their own backsides" generally have as tougher lives as others, however they perhaps chose to get on with things rather than wallow in self pity and moan at every opportunity. Does this make their life perfect and "up their own backside"? I think not [you maybe have been a bit harsh there Merlot ]

Good luck!
OK a bad choice of words me thinks and naughty me for being a lady with a sweeping statement.

I am on the side of positive and determined people. We all want to read good things that are happening, there are enough bad things in this world.

I think I get tired of reading life is just fabby in Australia and if someone questions this or has something down to say, they get shot down in flames.

Sometimes the Forum lapses into what I call a bit fluffy and seems to lack balance or becomes very chatty on material and money things. These are not important to me but of course are to others.

I am learning to leave these posts be now as they don't concern me. I tend think of the others that are struggling and not going to have the great mortgage free start or excess cash to play with.

M

Old Jan 27th 2005, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shellfish
It's right that you are scared. Moving to a new place is a very daunting and difficult thing to do regardless of whether you are alone or not. Melbourne is a wonderful place and I love it here but as with anything in life, it has it's up and downs. Scary as it is to be here, for me, it's scarier if I think that fear would have every stopped me from trying.

Good luck with everything!
I also remembered that going it alone can have loads of advantages, not having to consult anyone on decisions would be such a bonus because along with moving countries comes huge disagreements which you can avoid
Old Jan 27th 2005, 11:54 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

I am learning to leave these posts be now as they don't concern me. I tend think of the others that are struggling and not going to have the great mortgage free start or excess cash to play with.

M
Agree re wording...then again we can all make generalisations without realising

I can see why you interpret some posts as fluffy [I think others call them rose tinted posts which is equally offensive if someone is enjoying life here in Aus]. However the mortgage free lifestyle once enjoyed by so many, now seems to be enjoyed by few hence the real world living in Aus, for most, consists of same sh*t.....shinier bucket

The truth is Aus is good for some and not for others and same with UK. No right or wrong. Just different opinions, different perspectives and different "wants" ......but both are equally valid

Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:09 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hiya Dutchie!

I moved out here on my own in September. Well - almost - my brother lives out here and I got to stay with him for the first little while. But - regardless - I had no friends, no job, etc., and I had huge doubts about leaving behind everyone I knew and everything familiar in the UK.

My advice to you - for the first few months - keep very busy! Don't give yourself time to sit around and feel sorry for yourself. Job hunt, home hunt, be active and go out of your way to make friends. In fact - I made friends in Brisbane before I even got here! There is an excellent website called www.RSVP.com.au. Its a singles website, but it doesnt mean you have to be desperate for love to join in. I joined and had a few penpals before I got here, and when I arrived I was taken out and shown around the town, invited to different events, etc. etc. We're still friends now and I consider them part of my social circle. You can even make sure you meet people with the same interests as you and everything! One of my scuba diving buddies was someone I met on that website. They have events nearly every month. I went along to one of their cocktail evenings - turned up all on my own - and had a lovely evening meeting all kinds of people. Aussies are very friendly people!

It's just one idea. Being scared is natural - but you'll be fine! You have to be a pretty outgoing person to even attempt the move here on your own in the first place - you'll have no trouble settling in. Just hang in there!

Good luck!!

W.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by vikk
Hello everyone,
Me too! I'm going to Brisbane entirely on my own, I don't know a soul in the whole of the southern hemesphere... yet. Most of the time the thought scares me stupid but I know deep down that I need to do this for myself, that I would always be wondering -what if? If I didn't go and at least give it a try & I know that if it all goes horribly wrong I can come back to Uk again. So I AM going to go (IF the lovely DIMIA people ever tell me I can go.) I'm looking forward to the sunshine, the people I will meet, the new lifestyle etc BUT at 3 am when I can't sleep & I'm lying there thinking, it has to be the scariest & loneliest feeling in the world & I start to realise the sheer magnitude of it all & the mere thought becomes one of sheer torture & dread until the alarm goes off at 7am, its pitch black & pouring with murky rain & once again & I think- Can't wait to get to Oz- until that night when I can't sleep again. Is it just me or does everyone have the ups & downs?
No its not you - I definately have those ups and downs. Can totally understand the 3am thing, I lie there thinking I have a really well paid job, my own house, the best of friends and I'm going to a job on far less money, nae mates, no house - have to put beloved puss into prison - sorry quarantine!!
But then I think, I'm 28 I have the rest of my life ahead of me, no ties, go have an adventure, I can always come back after a couple of years, but at least then I will have had the experience and not lie awake at 3am thinking about 'what if's'.
Good luck to you and everyone going on their own!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 10:35 am
Professional Princess

Why do problems and worries seem absolutely huge at 3am than they do at 8am?

They really do grow in size and magnify don't they?

I dont like 3am, I think it should be banned.

Old Jan 28th 2005, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Why do problems and worries seem absolutely huge at 3am than they do at 8am?

They really do grow in size and magnify don't they?

I dont like 3am, I think it should be banned.
Yeah its bad enough lying awake with all these bloomin worries and churning every thought over and over - but what makes it worse is the clock ticking by and then panicking as you're only going to get 4 hours sleep!!
I'm in a permanent state of knackerdness!!!!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kristine
Yeah its bad enough lying awake with all these bloomin worries and churning every thought over and over - but what makes it worse is the clock ticking by and then panicking as you're only going to get 4 hours sleep!!
I'm in a permanent state of knackerdness!!!!
Next time I wake up at 3 am in a state of panic I'll try to stop & think about everyone else lying in their beds worrying about Oz too so I don't feel so scared or alone. But then at 3 am I'll probably be worrying like mad about how you'll all cope out there all by yourselves. 'If I feel like this here, how on earth will I feel at 3am over there?'

Good Luck to you all especially at 3am!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.