Default Re: Earthquake due?

Originally Posted by Grayling
You are right Merlot.

Perhaps I should have put something on about Sun, beaches and bbq's

This forum is not about lifestyle really

It is about dreams.

G
Hi Grayling and fellow posters

This is not a personal jipe but this morning I had to read a very horrible post, which was in response to me asking what I thought was a perfectly reasonable question of where do I look for cheap flights in the UK. I assume I have been looking in the wrong places:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...61#post2000961

The thread by complete coincidence was started by Grayling.

What I am saying is that sometimes (and I have been guilty of this), it that we jump in with the first thought or feeling, which can come across as not being pleasant, then a few follow with not so nice ones too. The "gang" up senario.

I am not about to say is that people have no rights to post their honest opinions, I have the greatess respect to those that don't agree and challenge, this is what the forum is about - freedom of speech.

As I said, not wanting to start a war as this site is great and serves a really useful purpose.

I don't think Grayling was being offensive or scare mongering, it was like having a chat at the office at lunch time.

Merlot

Old Jan 26th 2005, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Food for thought eh Grayling I wouldnt fancy living in one of those 80 storey high rises at Surfers

I do not like earthquakes and I find them very scary, I have experienced a few mild ones. Some people I know died in the big Istanbul earthquake. There though, sadly many peoples lives were lost due to the terrible building standards that were used.

They are expecting another huge quake in Istanbul and they say it will wipe the place out this time and there is talk that it could be followed by a Tsunami. Even under this threat, there are still millions and millions of people who live there - my other half and I were chatting about this only the other day.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:01 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debsy
Food for thought eh Grayling I wouldnt fancy living in one of those 80 storey high rises at Surfers

I do not like earthquakes and I find them very scary, I have experienced a few mild ones. Some people I know died in the big Istanbul earthquake. There though, sadly many peoples lives were lost due to the terrible building standards that were used.

They are expecting another huge quake in Istanbul and they say it will wipe the place out this time and there is talk that it could be followed by a Tsunami. Even under this threat, there are still millions and millions of people who live there - my other half and I were chatting about this only the other day.
And of course the builders would never cut corners or bribe their way through building checks.

The East coast is also vulnerable to a tsunami generated on the plates in NZ. There was an earthquake of over 8 on the richter scale 100s of kms off Tassie but due to the horizontal rather than vertical movement there was no tsunami.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:54 pm
wombat42

Australia is a massive country and the cities or large population centers only make up a small percentage of the land mass so if there is a large earthquake it will most likely happen in an outback area where very few or no one will be killed. This has been the case with most of the major earthquakes in OZ except for one that hit Newcastle 10 years ago and killed a few people.

Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:57 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by debsy

There is no fault line along surfers Paradise it would be impossible for there to
be an earthquake there so you are safe in the highrises.
Adelaide is the only large city in OZ where it is possible for there to be a large earth quake because it is on a fault line.

Last edited by wombat42; Jan 26th 2005 at 10:04 pm.

Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
I don't think Grayling was being offensive or scare mongering, it was like having a chat at the office at lunch time.

Merlot
Chill out people. No one said G was being offensive or scare mongering. He posted a news report presumably to start a discussion. I just said the news people were scaremongering not him. People discussed, what the hell else are we supposed to do. Say "thank you Grayling, i'll bear it in mind" and no further comment
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:20 pm
Merlot

You are right Merlot.

Perhaps I should have put something on about Sun, beaches and bbq's

This forum is not about lifestyle really

It is about dreams.

G
Maybe it should be re-named Fantasy Island!

Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:33 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

"This stress can produce earthquakes up to magnitude seven about every 30 years," said Prof Michael Sandiford, from the university's School of Earth Sciences.

Sounds like typical pig-ignorant journalism.

Totally failed to mention the likely epicentres of the earthquakes postulated by Prof Michael Sandiford. I suggest the Java Trench subduction zone where magnitude 7 earthquakes are common.

If Sandiford is suggesting magnitude 7 with epicentres within Australia then it would have been news-worthy. As reported by Milanda Rout it is news-worthless.

Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wombat42
There is no fault line along surfers Paradise it would be impossible for there to
Adelaide is the only large city in OZ where it is possible for there to be a large earth quake because it is on a fault line.
Phew - thats a relief
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
I wish there was something to bring down those monstrosities.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bondipom
I wish there was something to bring down those monstrosities.
They are just building an 80 storey one now :scared:
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

http://quakes.earth.uq.edu.au/seis_maps/brisbane.html

Earthquakes in brisbane ? Yup, lots of lol

paul
Old Jan 27th 2005, 11:09 am
Banned

E=mc2 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a bit of a worry. :scared:

If it happens

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...15-421,00.html

G
I am sorry, but, what a load of tosh!
Old Jan 27th 2005, 12:34 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

His mind games don't fool me.
Always trying to incite the mobs.
Off with his head I say.
Make him a Rayling

Have had several tremors since being in Cairns.
Nothing to do with earthquakes though
Old Jan 28th 2005, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Willow is an unknown quantity at this point

Every one panicing over a hearthquake omg in the UK 2 years ago Manchester had 20 quakes in 2 weeks 2 that sh*t me up and the rest i never felt and it was all coz in birmingham a tower had been droped and hit set a chain of quakes but im still here so dont be :scared: much

take it easy willow (caz)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.