Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Downloading UK TV in Oz??

Downloading UK TV in Oz??

Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:40 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Downloading UK TV in Oz??

Pretty much anything decent (and a whole lot of stuff that's shite) ends up on UKTV (Foxtel or Austar) - typically only about 8 weeks after transmission over there (though the soaps are about a year behind). If you need it quicker (because obviously Relocation Relocation is time sensitive ) then there's UKNova, TheBox and Mininova. And if you want to watch it before the uploaders even get to it at the torrent sites, then there's BBC iPlayer, ITV catchup and 4oD all of which work perfectly through a $10 a month VPN tunnel.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Pretty much anything decent (and a whole lot of stuff that's shite) ends up on UKTV (Foxtel or Austar) - typically only about 8 weeks after transmission over there (though the soaps are about a year behind). If you need it quicker (because obviously Relocation Relocation is time sensitive ) then there's UKNova, TheBox and Mininova. And if you want to watch it before the uploaders even get to it at the torrent sites, then there's BBC iPlayer, ITV catchup and 4oD all of which work perfectly through a $10 a month VPN tunnel.
Hutch, your answer is exactly what I was hoping for with regard to BBC iplayer etc, but what is a VPN tunnel??!!
Thanks, Helen
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:36 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
Hutch, your answer is exactly what I was hoping for with regard to BBC iplayer etc, but what is a VPN tunnel??!!
Thanks, Helen
Not being funny, but if you don't know what a VPN tunnel is then you probably don't want to know either...! Talking you through this would deffo qualify Hutch for a serious award... In fact, if he can do it I'd personally deliver a slab of his choice to his home addy...

Edit: And no cheating like enabling online assistance...!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DrWho
Not being funny, but if you don't know what a VPN tunnel is then you probably don't want to know either...! Talking you through this would deffo qualify Hutch for a serious award... In fact, if he can do it I'd personally deliver a slab of his choice to his home addy...

Well I'd only like to know how to access online UK TV so if anyone can help in English......
Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Well I'd only like to know how to access online UK TV so if anyone can help in English......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network
nearest thing to English I could find and I'm still confussed!!!!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Am I right in reading this thread that it's only UK TV that can't be directly accessed on the net to non UK IP addresses?
Radio is OK?
I remember, about 4 years ago, accessing BBC Radio and listening to the Archers in a wee wooden shack on one of the outer islands in the Bahamas! Still possible ??????
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:07 am
Banned

techieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant future

Thebox.bz is sadly by far the best place to download UK TV.

I say sadly because the site is run by a bunch of heavy handed losers who will take great pleasure in banning you for anything! There is a thread on BE that slags them off and exposes them.

They think they are really clever by banning your IP and other security measures to prevent you signing up again but it is easy to get around this.

Simply clear your thebox.bz cookie and then do a google search for a 'free proxy'. Use the proxy site to sign up and when you get the confirmation email make sure you are still going through a proxy when you click the activation link.

Voila! I new login and you can download again. They may ban you again but just rinse and repeat. I have signed up dozens of times, much to their annoyance.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BATS666
Am I right in reading this thread that it's only UK TV that can't be directly accessed on the net to non UK IP addresses?
Radio is OK?
I remember, about 4 years ago, accessing BBC Radio and listening to the Archers in a wee wooden shack on one of the outer islands in the Bahamas! Still possible ??????
Yup the radio is fine - and there is a listen again function as well which is a boon for people who <cough> may want to record something good. I listen to BBC 7 with its comedy and drama virtually all the time I am at home.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by techieguy
Thebox.bz is sadly by far the best place to download UK TV.
:
I prefer UKNova myself
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a lightbulb moment about downloading from UKNova etc in order to get the programs I desperately want - Opera will do it for me with just a click on the download button. If there is anyone who is hesitant about doing it, Opera, the browser program, has a built in torrent client which works like a dream. Mind you, I have been using Opera for a couple of years and only just realized I could do it this weekend.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:32 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Helen
It's actually pretty simple. When you connect to the Internet your modem is given a unique four part number like this 123.123.123.123 - that's your IP address. Without IP addresses, there'd be no Worldwide-Web - however the bad news is that your IP address enables pretty much anyone to track you. So when you visit the BBC website, they query your modem and ask for your IP address, then they follow the cookie crumbs back to the source and work out that you're connected to the Internet from Australia.

To see what I mean - go here and type www.britishexpats.com into the search box. Every line of that list that appears is a different 'hop' and they eventually lead all the way back to where britishexpats (in our example's case) lives. So - the bottom line is that the BBC know where you're from, because they can trace your IP address back to its source.

So the solution is to get yourself a UK IP address. Then when the Beeb check you out, it comes back with a British originating address and they serve up Cash in the Attic, Celebrity Cash in the Attic and Relocating to a New Attic in the Country.

And how do you get a UK IP address when you're not in the UK? The best method I've found (and there are a couple of others) is a VPN tunnel. What this does is connect you directly to a server in the UK, which gives you a UK IP address. The UK server responds to all queries about your location with that UK IP address and so as far as the BBC and indeed anyone else tracking you is concerned - you're in the UK.

Couple of companies offer a UK based VPN service. I've used these guys without a problem but others have had issues getting in touch with their support line. Others have used these guys and have had no problems (they're also multiplatform so Mac users can play too). Using a VPN tunnel you'll be able to download whatever you like from BBC iPlayer, ITV catchup and 4oD.

Originally Posted by DrWho

Cascade light please mate. I'm driving.

Originally Posted by quoll
I just had a lightbulb moment about downloading from UKNova etc in order to get the programs I desperately want - Opera will do it for me with just a click on the download button. If there is anyone who is hesitant about doing it, Opera, the browser program, has a built in torrent client which works like a dream. Mind you, I have been using Opera for a couple of years and only just realized I could do it this weekend.
Yea - Opera's a very under-rated browser in that regard. The FoxTorrent addon adds the same functionality to Firefox. But as far as I'm concerned, you simply can't beat uTorrent on Windows and Transmission on Mac/Linux.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 12:29 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
...Cascade light please mate. I'm driving. ...
Hah...!!! You've got to get it working for her first...! Still say you've not a prayer...!