Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Downloading UK TV in Oz??

Downloading UK TV in Oz??

Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Downloading UK TV in Oz??

Originally Posted by chugo101
But I don't have Foxtel!!
Are you sure its only 8 weeks behind, I may well have to invest in Foxtel once my new housebuild is finished. How much is Foxtel if you just have the basics and UKTV?
Yea it’s only about 8 weeks – on UKTV the Eastenders world is at the end of May 2008 at the moment – so just over 8 weeks. It used to be 6 years behind, but it’s pretty much up to date now.

Yea, see the thing with Foxtel is you need to buy the basics (which doesn’t have UKTV), they have it in a second package, so you would have to get the basics + that package (which has a lot of other channels in it too). Don’t know how much. I have everything (except sports) and I have Foxtel IQ it costs me $60 a month – but that was a deal I got a while ago, My Mum is now getting it (just basics and the package with the UKTV and I think she said it was around $50 a month?

What ever the price, Foxtel is no Sky Digital, but it’s a lot better than sticking with the 5 Free to air Aussie channels, that just show Adds and Adds, Infomercials and then talk programs that introduce infomercials and also the 1 week old news, which is usually only local news for local people.

Get Foxtel. Lol

Mikey
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

I would also say that Hutch's pages on this are excellent!
http://www.thatstheplan.com/?page_id=211

I've heard about people talk about slingboxes etc which seems a good idea if you have somebody in the UK who is prepared to host your box for you.

The link for foxtel is
http://www.foxtel.com.au/
Which will give you some idea of costs etc......
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks I'll look into it. Have to wait until Christmas though as I'm not paying to have it installed in my rental!! Thanks for the info
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Foxtel is, for me, essential.

Not only for the footy when it starts up again, but also the likes of Enders and various other 'pommy' shows.

My DF loves a bit of Gok!

Pretty sure Enders is more like 12 weeks behind. Think it is the end of April in Albert Square at the moment, so if you are an addict if you leave it for 3 months, then it can be like home!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
Can you download programmes from BBC iplayer, itv catchup, 4on demand etc etc when in Oz as well as radio shows??
I heard not for BBC because of the TV license but....
I'm sure I won't want to watch as much TV as I do when I'm here but I'm sure they'll be times when I want to catch up on a bit of UK entertainment!!
Helen
You can download from iplayer etc in Oz, either change your Ip to a UK one.
or use a UK dial up, start the download you want then pause them, end dial up call and carry on downlading using Oz Broadband. takes about 1-3 minutes on dial up. easier to d/l off uknova, no adverts either then.

I have UK aol which either gives me a UK ip or usa one when i log onto it from here which means i can either download uk or usa programmes, i use this site http://www.hulu.com/ but can only access downloads when using aol.

also try searching IPTV there are several starting up.

James
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be a happy girl if I can listen to Radio 1 on iplayer!! Love em or hate em Scott Mills, Chris Moyles and Vernon Kaye will be great to listen to over there as well as keep up with what's going on with music here.....
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

I'll be a happy girl if I can listen to Radio 1 on iplayer!! Love em or hate em Scott Mills, Chris Moyles and Vernon Kaye will be great to listen to over there as well as keep up with what's going on with music here.....
Hi Helen,

We're from Shrewsbury and have been living in Sydney now since Feb - we love it.

BBC Radio on listen again is amazing - every time we get ready to go out on a Saturday night we have Pete Tong's Friday night show on full volume. Crank the laptop up, attach to the stereo and off you go.

Bit of Chris Moyles on a Sunday afternoon is good too.

Radio aint too bad over here - Triple J go for loads of new music and you hear most of the stuff you'd like.

Amazing city - off to watch the Kooks in two weeks time at a venue the size of the Music Hall.

PM me if you need any advice, always happy to help a fellow monner!

Simon & Kate
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

I have UK aol which either gives me a UK ip or usa one when i log onto it from here which means i can either download uk or usa programmes
You really got my hopes up with this, because I too still have UK AOL but I hadn't tried to run iplayer through it, but it didn't work
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Simon and Kate, apart from friends and family, the great UK music scene is what I shall miss !! Enjoy the Kooks, seen them at a few festival over here this summer - really good!
Helen
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

How can you still use UK aol in oz?? didn't know it would work. I'm on Tiscali in UK.......
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Thanks Simon and Kate, apart from friends and family, the great UK music scene is what I shall miss !! Enjoy the Kooks, seen them at a few festival over here this summer - really good!
Helen
Really looking forward to it! The Fratellis are playing a few days before and we missed out on tickets for them - gutted! I bet you're going to see Travis in The Quarry aren't ya? I didn't feel so bad at missing the 80's summer concert, but Travis in the sun (maybe) is gutting!

When are you coming over? What are your plans?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry to say not really a big travis fan! Saw Fratelli's at Radio 1's Big weekend in Maidstone in May, music was great but arrogant so and so's!!
Scouting for girls and The Hoosiers rocked the stage!

I'm coming out in Jan - well returning, lived in Sydney from 97-99 and studpidly came back for some idiot bloke!
Got 2 boys now. Got sponsorship again at Prince of Wales Private Hospital, just waiting for visa to be processed.
Starting to panic a little about the price of temp accom in Eastern suburbs in Jan and for a more permanent rental for that matter!!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point

How can you still use UK aol in oz?? didn't know it would work. I'm on Tiscali in UK.......
Yes u can still log into aol and use aol software anywhere in the world, log in using tcp, that package is £10 a month

Katu check your ip
you should have two different ones if logged into aol
one form your oz isp and other from aol
use aol browser to check aol ip
eg www.checkip.com something like that

if you have a usa ip on aol you can download from www.hulu.com
but only in aol browser else it will say your ip is in OZ

James
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Hi Guys

Sad but true my mum records Eastenders for me and posts it out to us! Plus other programmes such as 'Dragons den'. She is great!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I wish my aged rellies would master the art of dvd recording! Despite many (many) hours of personal tuition, it seems that the dvd knows instantly when I am leaving the country and goes into "I'm not going to record THAT!" mode. Just got approved for uknova (woo hooo!) so am about to try and access the new series of "Who do you think you are" as a trial run

I listen to BBC radio all the time - usually BBC7 - and it has the advantage of Listen Again.

As someone else said, Time Team is on the ABC here - sometimes 3 times a week on ABC 1 & 2 but some of the episodes actually have Tony with HAIR! they are that old! I, too, am addicted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.