Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Downloading UK TV in Oz??

Downloading UK TV in Oz??

Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Downloading UK TV in Oz??

Can you download programmes from BBC iplayer, itv catchup, 4on demand etc etc when in Oz as well as radio shows??
I heard not for BBC because of the TV license but....
I'm sure I won't want to watch as much TV as I do when I'm here but I'm sure they'll be times when I want to catch up on a bit of UK entertainment!!
Helen
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice
Default Re: Downloading UK TV in Oz??

No you cannot use any of the UK legal downloads outside of the UK, unfortunately. And the subsription live streaming sites have been closed down. So unless you go the torrents route you'll be stuck with youtube or foreign tv
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Domenic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Helen,
My girlfriend and I have been thinking along the same lines, I really enjoy my documentries, BBC and Channel 4's Time Team! lol

Where are you planning to move to? We are not too far away from shrewsbury?

Best Regards

Dom
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, Going in Jan to Sydney and can't wait!!!
Bit of a bummer about the TV, thought I'd be able to watch Eastenders and listen to Radio One downloads....
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Domenic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have inthe past checked some of the OZ TV schedules, and they do air some UK TV series. But I belive they are 12mths or more behind!! Alternitivley could get family to record them from TV onto DVD or put them on memory stick and post em!!??

Dom
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, there are some UK dramas shown on ABC. I was last here in March an James Nesbitt in Jekyll was on. As well as the Bill which isn't too far behind. E-Enders is on Foxtel but the cable or satellite packages are pricier than Sky. The TV IS SO BAD otherwise! I was channel surfing and the choice was something indonesian or how to make a rabbit hutch!!!
Still, the pros outweigh the cons in going to Oz so I should just forget about it and enjoy!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:58 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Checkout Hutch's definitive guide to watching UK TV in Oz here...

There are some excellent media players out there now, such as Popcorn Hour, which we have, that will stream video from your PC/MAC, etc and play it brilliantly in full HD on your TV... We watch hardly any terrestrial TV these days, but fully use a 160GB a month allowance on the torrents...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

apart from torrents, you could proxy in, but you'd need a paid for service for the VPN to have enough bandwidth to stream those tele shows, and make sure the service is UK based....
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:40 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of BBC shows on ABC here, Time Team is on all the time. Just don't expect it to be current episodes.

Aparts from two or three shows I don't miss British TV. After a while you'll come to realise it's a case of "Same shat, different country".

Some of the topical comedy shows like Thank God Your Here, Good New Week and The Gruen Transfer are actually pretty good. The industry over here have some very funny (IMHO) characters (Hamish & Andy, Hughesy, etc), MUCH funnier than those dry plebs of pseudo-talent Ant & Dec.

The Aussies also try their absolute hardest to produce their own original drama like City Homocide, Sea Patrol, etc. Not a fan myself but they are generally higher budget and better produced than some of the British equivalent.

It's just another one of those "Your moving to the other side of the world, don't expect it to be like England" type things.

Sadly, the way in which the UK Broadcasters block non-UK IP addresses from viewing the on-line shows means that all those who can't get it end up going the illegal route and downloading the shows from private Torrents like UK Nova. They are sort of shooting themselves in the foot, but in their eyes they are just protecting their international income when they sell the packages onto Australia and the US.

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Aug 5th 2008 at 9:45 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

wbbugs will become famous soon enough

You can find lots of uk tv torrents out there if you know where to look.
I have just finishing watching the latest episodes of top gear from the UK.

Try http://www.thebox.bz
You have to sign up, but a lot of people use it on here. I personally don't use it but find things elsewhere on the net. Do a search for the box and see what comes up.

I have foxtel which doesn't have a lot of english stuff on. And if it has it is behind. I dont think eastenders is as much as a year behind. My wife is a fan and she watched one the other day and mentioned to me that it was not that far behind. Maybe a few months.
Radio one podcasts you can download and listen to via itunes. And you can stream radio one through the internet. There is also the tv shows available through itunes. Dont use it myself but there might be some stuff on there.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

I listen to Radio 1 every day on my laptop. You can either listen live or listen again on iplayer. Can't watch any of the videos though.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about

I watch corrie on www.corrietube.co.uk you have to pay to subscribe but its not much and you get to watch every epsiode a few hours after its aired in the uk, I only wish there was something similar for Eastenders as I like to get my fix of the soaps!!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
Can you download programmes from BBC iplayer, itv catchup, 4on demand etc etc when in Oz as well as radio shows??
I heard not for BBC because of the TV license but....
I'm sure I won't want to watch as much TV as I do when I'm here but I'm sure they'll be times when I want to catch up on a bit of UK entertainment!!
Helen
UKNova is still the way to go. I am currently enjoying the latest series of Top Gear.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

You CAN watch Eastenders here, it’s on every day on UKTV – it’s 8 weeks behind the UK. The have Corrie too, but that’s about a year behind!

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Aug 6th 2008 at 12:24 am.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
You CAN watch Eastenders here, it’s on every day on UKTV – it’s 8 weeks behind the UK. The have Corrie too, but that’s about a year behind!

Mikey
But I don't have Foxtel!!
Are you sure its only 8 weeks behind, I may well have to invest in Foxtel once my new housebuild is finished. How much is Foxtel if you just have the basics and UKTV?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.