Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's working for the government like?

What's working for the government like?

Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:07 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future
Default What's working for the government like?

Hi everyone,

I've heard good things (all unconfirmed) about working for the Qld government. Am hoping to continue my studies, paid for. Anyone able to give an account? Thanks.

Janice
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's working for the government like?

Originally Posted by janicebks
Hi everyone,

I've heard good things (all unconfirmed) about working for the Qld government. Am hoping to continue my studies, paid for. Anyone able to give an account? Thanks.

Janice
Several posts on here by me bout working for them, if you want to do a search. I've ben working at the Department of Emergency Services for 4 years now. Don't know what visa you are on, but you need PR to have a permanent job. Temporary visa holders can get temporary contracts though, and I did nearly three years on those before I got PR and then the perm job.
They are good to work for in a lot of ways - some departments are stronger than others in some aeas, but most will support you doing courses if they will benefit the department, there are other perks like good superannuation, leave loading, long service leave, salary sacrificing etc.
In return you have to put up with incessant red tape and numerous inefficient processes and archaic computer systems DES certainly suffers from a lot of hierarchical attitude - how dare an AO2 Admin person talk to an AO8 Some people are very "level conscious" like this, a kind of snobbery which gets to you if you let it.

Having said that, I enjoy working for them, and now have a fantastic job with them that I wouldn't change for the world. If you get an opportunity definitely go for it. Looks good on the resume too, a permanent govt job is quite sought after. )

www.jobs.qld.gov.au

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 18th 2008 at 3:32 am.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:26 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was temping with them for maybe two months and really liked it. So much better than a 'normal' office job such as where I am now (Sunsuper)

Lots of snobbery there though, as mentioned above. I would love to go back when I have PR.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:38 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliver1982
I was temping with them for maybe two months and really liked it. So much better than a 'normal' office job such as where I am now (Sunsuper)

Lots of snobbery there though, as mentioned above. I would love to go back when I have PR.
Yep, you need to develop the right attitude I think - accept that they won't change the way they do things, and work out strategies to deal wih what I can onloy describe as "professional snobbery" and "level-consciousness".
But once you've done that they are a good place to work
Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:56 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

Pollyanna - Thanks for the info. I do have a PR, but only about 2 years of work experience. I've tried the corporate world and would rather remove my fingernails one by one than go through it again. I'll send you a PM.

Oliver1982 - Good luck!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 7:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>What's working for the government like?<<

I was a taxpayer for 35 years so I suppose I worked for the government for about fifteen <g>.

It sucks.....
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody awful, I would never do it again.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it comes down to frame of mind, department you're working in, salary paid etc etc. Much like any industry
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:00 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, ive been looking at Government jobs on that website but a lot of them state you cant apply unless you have citizenship... is this true or have i just been looking to apply for the wrong ones? i have worked for the Government in the UK for 6 1/2 years and was hoping to try to work for them here, is there any departments i should apply for that will accept my PR visa only. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:14 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by cheekivimto07
Hi, ive been looking at Government jobs on that website but a lot of them state you cant apply unless you have citizenship... is this true or have i just been looking to apply for the wrong ones? i have worked for the Government in the UK for 6 1/2 years and was hoping to try to work for them here, is there any departments i should apply for that will accept my PR visa only. Any help would be much appreciated.
Qld Govt doesn't require citizenship as a general rule. You need PR or citizenship for a perm job. For a temp job you only need permission to work.

Federal Govt and some other States need citizenship though, and some Qld jobs may ask for it if they are in sensitive areas, but these are the exception rather than the rule.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:23 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for that, i will just keep doing regular checks from now on, in the Government sector.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:43 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I work for QLD Gov and it's great for me. Good pay compared to private sector and perfect for my career advancement. I particularly like the 37.25 hour week with TOIL!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:45 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by cheekivimto07
Thank you for that, i will just keep doing regular checks from now on, in the Government sector.
No probs

From the website -
Who can work

You can work for the Queensland Government if you are:

1. an Australian citizen, or

2. a permanent Australian resident, or

3. a non-citizen who has a valid visa permitting you to work. In this case, the work cannot extend beyond the expiry date of the visa and you will need evidence of the visa.

It should be on the job description if they require more than this.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Some good responses so far and wondered if anyone could add to our predicament:
My wife works for the Inland Revenue section (but has nothing to do with tax!) and is currently on a 5 year career break. With 8 years of experience, including management, and a Finance and Business studies degree, she feels that her experience and qual's would probably count for nothing in WA. Is this true or would they value her credentials? Do they have term time only working hours etc similar to the UK? Also, is there opportunities for this line of in the evenings? Hope I'm not gate crashing!!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:50 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Jeez I didn't know employees of Inland revenue had such good working conditions, doubt very much she would get those types of conditions in Oz. Her credentials, experience etc would probably count for something although not guaranteed, similar to someone with those credentials coming from Oz to UK I suspect. Good luck to her though, I've worked in Govt and Local Govt and public utilities both in Oz and UK and they are far better employees than the private sector.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.