debts or not

Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:39 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: debts or not

Originally Posted by samjones1999
People are jailed for non payment of council tax and TV licence. So even if you don't consider it theft, the government certainly do. Best make it a one way ticket Jeanette.
They are imprisoned for tax evasion which is a completely different thing to theft and they are only imprisoned if it is proven that they were actually evading paying the tax and not because they couldn't afford to. It's more likey that the local councils will commence bankruptcy proceedings against. If I was you I would learn a bit about the law before commenting on a subject you clearly know nothing about.

As a side note, I have not heard of anybody being actually imprisoned for not paying the TV licence fee. They make a lot of threats about a £1000 fine but imprisonment, I think not. I have only heard of one case of a person going to prision to non-payment of council tax and that person was a protester and went to prison to make a statement.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Aye, the satisfaction of clearing $60,000 of credit card debt AND learning to manage money (so I don't get in the same position again) outweighs the dubious pleasure of 'sticking it to the man'.

I'd wager that people that do this kind of thing are in for similar issues further down to track. If you don't learn from your mistakes then yer doomed to repeat them and all that ...
We'rrrrre all doomed, Mr Mannering!!!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:45 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm
They are imprisoned for tax evasion which is a completely different thing to theft and they are only imprisoned if it is proven that they were actually evading paying the tax and not because they couldn't afford to. It's more likey that the local councils will commence bankruptcy proceedings against. If I was you I would learn a bit about the law before commenting on a subject you clearly know nothing about.

As a side note, I have not heard of anybody being actually imprisoned for not paying the TV licence fee. They make a lot of threats about a £1000 fine but imprisonment, I think not. I have only heard of one case of a person going to prision to non-payment of council tax and that person was a protester and went to prison to make a statement.
Indeed. The link I posted earlier confirms this.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, Police don't have anything to do with civil debt. So, if Police were there it was nothing to do with debt. If a debt was from a court judgement then the Sheriffs will get involved. They do a similar job to the court bailiffs in the UK.

Most of these debt collection firms are full of sh!t. Everything that comes out of their mouth is nothing more than rubbish intended to scare people into paying when there isn't a legal obligation.

The last we heard of our tenant, was a hearing date for the local courts for Fraud, maybe thats why the police were there. Maybe taking a loan then not paying it fraud? I have no idea.

It would appear that many companies owed money dont just go 'oh well we wont worry about that' they take action eventually escalating the steps to legal action.

The local council here takes legal action against people who dont pay up on lost library books I assume then if someones skipped a debt worth more than a hardcopy of harry potter, many companies do try to recover it. And from the experience with our tenant its pretty obvious they dont just overlook it.

However no doubt there are companies out there who just dont worry about upnpaid bills local councils and electricity companies and banks dont seem to be among them.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:58 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The last we heard of our tenant, was a hearing date for the local courts for Fraud, maybe thats why the police were there. Maybe taking a loan then not paying it fraud? I have no idea.

It would appear that many companies owed money dont just go 'oh well we wont worry about that' they take action eventually escalating the steps to legal action.

The local council here takes legal action against people who dont pay up on lost library books I assume then if someones skipped a debt worth more than a hardcopy of harry potter, many companies do try to recover it. And from the experience with our tenant its pretty obvious they dont just overlook it.

However no doubt there are companies out there who just dont worry about upnpaid bills local councils and electricity companies and banks dont seem to be among them.
Fraud is different. If they can prove you took out a loan or cc with no intention to pay back I suppose?
I "owed" 300 odd quid to the Electricity company. I had all the evidence that I didn't, including the new house owners contacting them and telling them that they were the ones who owed the money.
I actually just got so bored with it all I went into their head office and paid it.

Last edited by kporte; Mar 16th 2010 at 2:10 am.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Fraud is more like it and from a loan perspective, it would only be fraud if they knowingly lied on the loan application. This is the offence of 'obtain financial advantage by deception'. Taking a loan and not paying it is not fraud.

Most of these firms sell the debts of to debt collection agencies so they get some of their money back. Debt collecton agencies use unscrupulous tricks to recover funds but they know they will not get all back. Gullible people will fall for their lies and outrageous fees. Once the debt has been sold to a debt agency the debtor is no longer liable for it anyway as they never made an agreement with the debt collection agency in the first place.

The nerve of local councils. They're worse than Nazis.

They just sell the debts on.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Fraud is different. If they can prove you took out a loan or cc with no intention to pay back I suppose?
I "owed" 300 odd quid to the Electricity company. I had all the evidence that I didn't, including the new house owners contacting them and telling them that they were the ones who owed the money.
I actually just got so bored with it all I went into there head office and paid it.

I bet most of these big companies like councils for eg have their own legal depts which will try to get the money back however they can. How else do they afford to chase lost books

I reckon some bored legal eagle could turn a debt into fraud with a flick of a pen

I also dont believe in all this privacy law stuff either, nor moving countries protects you. We went overseas for a few weeks and the OZ govt knew where and when we had been away Mind you OZ depts seem to know everything about you, info sharing is scary here.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:17 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We'rrrrre all doomed, Mr Mannering!!!
Yeh, well, we're all going to die eventually so what does it matter in the scheme of things?

Given my avatar I think the words

Don't Panic!
in big friendly letters are appropriate.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:24 am
Account Closed

I reckon some bored legal eagle could turn a debt into fraud with a flick of a pen
And then they would be the ones guilty of fraud.

I also dont believe in all this privacy law stuff either, nor moving countries protects you. We went overseas for a few weeks and the OZ govt knew where and when we had been away Mind you OZ depts seem to know everything about you, info sharing is scary here.
All Oz govt depts share informaton. All passport info is linked to centrelink, medicare, ATO, electoral roll etc. It's Big Brother without the national ID card... Yet!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

samjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nice

IF I WAS YOU I would look up whether you can be jailed for non payment of council tax. The answer is a definate YES. If you look back at the thread, Jeanette is not some poor single pensioner who can't afford to pay. They own their own house, who is just looking for validation that it is OK to steal from our country. Did they not have their bins emptied or children educated?? I know you have some axe to grind about local government, but unless you check your information more carefully, you should keep your advise to yourself.I don't think the government would find it too difficult to prove Jeanette had the funds, as they would of just forked out thousands for their visa.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by samjones1999
IF I WAS YOU I would look up whether you can be jailed for non payment of council tax. The answer is a definate YES. If you look back at the thread, Jeanette is not some poor single pensioner who can't afford to pay. They own their own house, who is just looking for validation that it is OK to steal from our country. Did they not have their bins emptied or children educated?? I know you have some axe to grind about local government, but unless you check your information more carefully, you should keep your advise to yourself.I don't think the government would find it too difficult to prove Jeanette had the funds, as they would of just forked out thousands for their visa.
NO YOU'RE NOT ME and if you were YOU'D KNOW A BIT MORE ABOUT THE LEGALITIES of that which YOU SPEAK.

I have an axe to grind about local government? WOW! You'd make a fortune as a mind reader...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

NO YOU'RE NOT ME and if you were YOU'D KNOW A BIT MORE ABOUT THE LEGALITIES of that which YOU SPEAK.

I have an axe to grind about local government? WOW! You'd make a fortune as a mind reader...

Yesterday post #52. Don't need to be a mind reader.

Now council tax is nothing more than theft by the local government.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yesterday post #52. Don't need to be a mind reader.
That was about council tax. Doesn't mean I have an axe to grind about local govt...

I have an axe to grind about all govt!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Have I missed something here?If the OP owns her house and the debts are'nt credit cards and what not,then why can't she afford to pay her council tax?That does'nt add up???Someone please enlighten me!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:56 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Have I missed something here?If the OP owns her house and the debts are'nt credit cards and what not,then why can't she afford to pay her council tax?That does'nt add up???Someone please enlighten me!
Also, if he or she can afford to move to OZ then they obviously have some money. Pay up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.