British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   debts or not (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/debts-not-659265/)

jeanettetlw Mar 14th 2010 10:01 am

debts or not

do i bring my debts with me or do i say sod it and leave them in blighty,any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks,jeanettetlw

Spellbound Mar 14th 2010 10:11 am

Re: debts or not

You will get quite a few 'strong' replys/points of views on this site about this particular subject, so I suggest you try this site.

http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?...iewforum&f=173

livinginreality Mar 14th 2010 10:22 am

I'd pay but thats just me.You created those debts so you should be responsible and pay them,don't you think?I've said this before but people who skip out on their debts,just as well of robbed a bank in my opinion.

steve`o Mar 14th 2010 10:23 am

Originally Posted by jeanettetlw (Post 8418614)
do i bring my debts with me or do i say sod it and leave them in blighty,any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks,jeanettetlw

what are you after a whip round?

77hil Mar 14th 2010 10:24 am

If you leave unpaid debts in the UK I hope for your sake that you never want to go back!

Kapri Mar 14th 2010 10:41 am

Oh dear, here we go again.

Popcorn anyone? :lol:

To the OP - it may be worth putting "debt" into the search facility - this subject tends to start up quite intense debate.
If you can wade through all the rubbish, you should find some decent advice in there.

Kapri Mar 14th 2010 10:42 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 8418652)
what are you after a whip round?

Well - if you're offering Steve, I won't say no :lol:

steve`o Mar 14th 2010 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Kapri (Post 8418693)
Oh dear, here we go again.

Popcorn anyone? :lol:

To the OP - it may be worth putting "debt" into the search facility :D

do you have the salted kind miss?

Pollyana Mar 14th 2010 11:01 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 8418701)
do you have the salted kind miss?

Prefer some pizza myself.....somehow I KNEW this was gonna be a long night......

steve`o Mar 14th 2010 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Kapri (Post 8418699)
Well - if you're offering Steve, I won't say no :lol:

arh little miss whiplash :wub:

its always the quite ones

Pollyana Mar 14th 2010 11:04 am

Jeanette, you will get some very mopinionated answers to your question, so be prepared. What you need to think abut is - if you borrowed the money, why do you think you should be exempt from paying it back?
Many of us could not pay off debts before leaving the UK, for one reason or another, so we carried on paying once we got to Australia. Personally speaking, it was a matter of conscience for me.

steve`o Mar 14th 2010 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8418728)
Jeanette, you will get some very mopinionated answers to your question, so be prepared. What you need to think abut is - if you borrowed the money, why do you think you should be exempt from paying it back?
Many of us could not pay off debts before leaving the UK, for one reason or another, so we carried on paying once we got to Australia. Personally speaking, it was a matter of conscience for me.

IMO its thieving plain and simple,
if someone puts their hand in my pocket i`d want to rip it off ;)

stuckinblighty Mar 14th 2010 11:20 am

Pull up a seat and enjoy the show folks :thumbup:

Australia_bound? Mar 14th 2010 11:25 am

You may well end up with an Aussie debt recovery company contacting you one day. Very complex stuff. Make your own mind up about it as you won't get many helpful replies on here ;)

steve`o Mar 14th 2010 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Australia_bound? (Post 8418763)
You may well end up with an Aussie debt recovery company contacting you one day. Very complex stuff. Make your own mind up about it as you won't get many helpful replies on here ;)

are we back on to the whip round?