Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daylight Saving........

Daylight Saving........

Old Dec 11th 2006, 6:15 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Daylight Saving........

Originally Posted by renth
We all go to sleep about 90 minutes later and now I'm always tired!
Must be the heat... .
Old Dec 11th 2006, 6:31 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A woman wrote into The West Australian newspaper complaining that the locusts out in the wheatbelt (they have a locust problem out there at the moment) now have an extra hour to do their destruction!

What a tool.

LOL - I saw that letter too. I love the letters pg - its almost on a par with the Daily Mail letters.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 6:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
LOL - I saw that letter too. I love the letters pg - its almost on a par with the Daily Mail letters.
:scared:
Old Dec 11th 2006, 7:02 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
:scared:

It makes me feel at home
Old Dec 12th 2006, 3:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Although The West Australian is not as bad as The Daily Mail, I think a lot of the people who write letters to The West would enjoy reading The Mail if they lived in the UK.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:58 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Although The West Australian is not as bad as The Daily Mail, I think a lot of the people who write letters to The West would enjoy reading The Mail if they lived in the UK.
Are Aussies not more Sun people? But then that extra our of reading would upset them.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 3:41 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I had to resurrect this after a conversation tonight with an Aussie lady in her sixties. Very strongly anti-daylight savings, for this reason.
"The cows will have to be milked at the same time as usual, but the tanker that collects the milk will turn up an hour late so all the milk will be ruined." I tried, believe me I tried, to explain to her that if the tanker comes at 6 am now, it will still come at 6am, but she insisted that the cows are milked at 5, and under daylight savings there will be TWO hours between 5 am and 6am, so the milk will spoil!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 6:34 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

I had to resurrect this after a conversation tonight with an Aussie lady in her sixties. Very strongly anti-daylight savings, for this reason.
"The cows will have to be milked at the same time as usual, but the tanker that collects the milk will turn up an hour late so all the milk will be ruined." I tried, believe me I tried, to explain to her that if the tanker comes at 6 am now, it will still come at 6am, but she insisted that the cows are milked at 5, and under daylight savings there will be TWO hours between 5 am and 6am, so the milk will spoil!
Unless they continue to milk at 5am (non daylight savings) which is now 4am due to the changes. She does have a point if thats a problem. Will the milk spoil?.... dont know... but personally I dont like daylight savings purely as i cant be ar*ed to change my clocks.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:05 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by mark213
Unless they continue to milk at 5am (non daylight savings) which is now 4am due to the changes. She does have a point if thats a problem. Will the milk spoil?.... dont know... but personally I dont like daylight savings purely as i cant be ar*ed to change my clocks.
She really believed that there would be an extra hour in the day. I had to give up, she just didn't understand that the clocks moved and the day duid not suddenly get 25 hours in it!

If you were coming to Brissie and likely to never get long summer evenings again, then you might see a point to DST. I read on here courtesy of someone the other day that there are actually more days in London where it is daylight at 6pm, then there are in Melbourne!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
We all go to sleep about 90 minutes later and now I'm always tired!
I assume you're taking the p*iss?

Otherwise, what time did the famly go to bed in England in June when it gets dark at 10pm?!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I assume you're taking the p*iss?

Otherwise, what time did the famly go to bed in England in June when it gets dark at 10pm?!
At the end of the day its about routine. Some of these Aussies say crazy things about DST - its not a concept they are familiar with, they haven't dealt with it so don't know. Alot of things in life and their application are not that obvious, alot of clever people can be caught out.

It's a bit like Poms asking 'stupid' questions about snakes and spiders - they're not used to them. There are plenty of people on this site who get simple things confused or wrong like seasons in southern Australia.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you were coming to Brissie and likely to never get long summer evenings again, then you might see a point to DST. I read on here courtesy of someone the other day that there are actually more days in London where it is daylight at 6pm, then there are in Melbourne!
What I can't understand is why people in Brisbane/SE Qld don't just do what businesses in some parts of Canada and the U.S. often do in the summer - adopt changed hours in summer, start earlier, close earlier etc.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:52 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Whereas the reality is that the cows will still be coming in at 5am winter time which is 6am summer time and will miss the truck completely

I can remember on my dad's farm it took about a week for the cows to realise the clocks had changed - daft buggers

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jan 27th 2007 at 3:56 am.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:53 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
What I can't understand is why people in Brisbane/SE Qld don't just do what businesses in some parts of Canada and the U.S. often do in the summer - adopt changed hours in summer, start earlier, close earlier etc.
Have you ever lived in Qld Jeremy? That would be as radical a suggestion as DST - I swear that a lot of Qlders (esp the older generation) are programmed at birth. Breakfast at 7, lunch at 12, tea at 6. The idea of eating at 8 (even in restaurants) causes looks of horror, the idea of shops being open on a Saturday afternoon is pretty radical, and as for changing thei times all together.....it'd stop the chickens giving milk and fade the roof or some such twaddle
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
At the end of the day its about routine. Some of these Aussies say crazy things about DST - its not a concept they are familiar with, they haven't dealt with it so don't know. Alot of things in life and their application are not that obvious, alot of clever people can be caught out.

It's a bit like Poms asking 'stupid' questions about snakes and spiders - they're not used to them. There are plenty of people on this site who get simple things confused or wrong like seasons in southern Australia.
Yes but renth is British isn't he?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.