Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Credit Card debt

Credit Card debt

Old May 17th 2004, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point

One of My Best Mates who went to Aussie with me found out that her ex boyfriend left her in debt in aussie with the bank, on her repayments the sod promised to pay the monthly order but never did this was in 2001 he was an Aussie and because the loan was in her name he stopped paying it, she has never heard anything about it until his sister told her that he was laughing about it.
So it seems the reverse roll they had her passport and address in the UK but she never heard anything.(The Bank)
I don't know the amount but I said to her they will get you sooner or later.??????? maybe not.
She since moved to Canada and got residency there.
Personally I would pay up or do as suggested and keep hold of it for a while at least you will sleep at night
Old May 17th 2004, 8:35 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

What about business's that run up huge debts to creditors and then just go bankrupt? That happens all the time.
Personally I dont see this as theft,(in Mikes case) these credit card companies continually bombard us with their cards so they deserve to get ripped off now and again.
I always move my cards around so I never pay interest, so as far as Im concerned good luck to the bloke.
The banks have been ripping me off for years with their charges so sod em.
Only last week I was charged £25 to move some money from one account to another........IN THE SAME BANK
Old May 17th 2004, 10:22 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Intentionally running up a debt and legging it can be thought of as fraud. Running a business which is insolvent is also illegal. Bankruptcy is a good tool for those who have genuinly got into trouble. As you have the money to pay off you are technicaly a thief if you come here hoping the debt to disappear.

Personally I would rather pay them off in the UK . Attempting to pay them off from here can be toublesome and attract international transaction fees. The best investment anyone can make is to pay off their highest interest debt.

Pompeywill wait till you get Aussie bank charges.

For all of you who think you can leg it bear in mind that all your work mates, relatives etc will get a call from the debt collection agency. Once Barclaycard has sold the debts moral considerations are lost. Look up the Gone Away Information Network (GAIN). It is not a black list but a tracking system for people the creditors have lost track of. The list operates outside the UK data protection act (legally a grey area).

BTW Visa and Mastercard do not own the debt and under data protection laws cannot blacklist someone across nations.
Old May 17th 2004, 11:19 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Er, nobody else has said it:

IT'S BLOODY THEFT, YOU MONGREL!!!

Who pays? Who loses? Everybody else in the institutions you're (contemplating) stealing from, they'll pay in higher charges etc. That could be me!

So tell us you're going to Aus without any funds, penniless. That you have no money to pay off ten thousand quid.

Can't do it, can you? You should use your cash 'float' to pay off what you owe.

Nobody forced you to borrow money, it was your choice. Now pay it back!
Tell your average nation that. Most of them run in the red and spend more than they earn. That includes the UK and Australia for the most part. Are they stealing off you too?
So, you can hardly claim the high moral ground against an individual when they're emulating their country's spending practices.

Yes, I'm only half-serious, but the moral is the same.
Old May 17th 2004, 11:25 pm

Originally posted by Ulujain
Tell your average nation that. Most of them run in the red and spend more than they earn. That includes the UK and Australia for the most part. Are they stealing off you too?
So, you can hardly claim the high moral ground against an individual when they're emulating their country's spending practices.

Are you talking about bonds or third world debt? Nations tend to pay back otherwise the bond markets would require huge interest repayments. Borrowing without intending to pay back is can be classified as fraud or theft in a legal and moral sense.

Australia is currently running a budget surplus, the UK a budget defecit. Economic theory is that one is supposed to be neutral over the economic cycle. Ie to run a surplus in good times to pay for the lack of tax revenue in the lower part of the cycle.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by eilish
mike, take no notice about this "coming to get you lark". banks don't do this(it would cost them more to do it, but anyway they don't. I mean £10k don't think so)

fair enough if it were millions then yes, i would think the bank would try there upmost to track you down, but think logically, where would they start, you could be anywhere!!

i know a couple who went to australia and had the house up for sale. they left for oz and didn't tell the building society. the house just went to auction. now that was a debt of about £80k so your £10k is a drop in the ocean. i'm sure you don't like to do what you are intending to do but see it as your only way out and i can understand that. worry is such a bad thing and banks/credit card companies are far too eager to give credit when knowingly the cardholder cannot pay it back. remember the man who owed thousands and then killed himself.

i'm not saying what you intend to do is correct, if it was barclaycard then thats part of my bonus.

in answer to your question whether i would return to this pathetic country, then i would say a big no no.

we are just waiting the outcome of the new sir as want to go to wa. and if i can't go to oz i will go somewhere in europe cos uk at the moment is crap, and its going to get worse!!!

good luck mike anyway

eilish
-----------------------

Mike,

No Worries then eh?

Sounds like you'll get away with it scott free, the banks won't even try to look for you whatsoever and you'll be quids in!

Obviously the likes of Mastercard & Visa have no interest and apparently it won't be worth the cost to find you from the UK banks point of view.

If you are confident that they won't even try to locate you, they won't know where you have gone and you 100% sure you'll never want to move back to the UK.......then good luck to you.

If you could just keep us posted every now and then about your progress, and maybe more people will decide this is the way to go!

As someone has already mentioned, why not rack up some more credit, get a few cash advances to pay for your flights etc, it won't matter apprently!

Cheers
Old May 18th 2004, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

If I understood Don's post correctly he was unhappy at the original poster's plan to not come to agreements with his creditors.
Tell your average nation that. Most of them run in the red and spend more than they earn. That includes the UK and Australia for the most part. Are they stealing off you too?...
No. Running 'in the red' and spending 'more than they earn' by itself (whether it be an individual or a nation) does not constitute stealing.
...So, you can hardly claim the high moral ground against an individual when they're emulating their country's spending practices.
Spending practices was not the issue. Management of the consequences of those spending practices was.
Disagree.

To the original poster - I hope the tin hat I recommended early in the thread came in useful!

I don't envy your position - I gathered from your initial post that you knew you shouldn't do it, so you won't get another moral judgement from me.

It seems that (despite conflicting advice and moral opinions) what nobody can deny is that 'it may come back to haunt you'. Your call.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:37 am
o_0

Regardless, if this proves anything, it proves that asking for advice on ethical and/or moral issues online is akin to pouring kerosene on a fire.

Inevitably, the saints come out the cupboard, as do the devil's advocates, the preachers and everything in between.

I'm sure Mike's rapt to know he may be in the company of the divine and the inviolate.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:39 am
qet
Just Joined

qet is an unknown quantity at this point

bet if someone ripped you off, you'd kick and scream like anything.
I've met people like you before, you dishonest twat.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure Mike's rapt to know he may be in the company of the divine and the inviolate.
LOL

How else do you think we got our visa ?
Old May 18th 2004, 12:46 am

Regardless, if this proves anything, it proves that asking for advice on ethical and/or moral issues online is akin to pouring kerosene on a fire.

Inevitably, the saints come out the cupboard, as do the devil's advocates, the preachers and everything in between.

Yep hence the take it outside forum.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:56 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Credit Card debt

Originally posted by eilish
hi mike,

there is no such thing as internationally blacklisted. credit reference agencies keep your details on record for 6 years after such time data is cleared.

i know this as i work for barclaycard. ultimately, your debt will be sold to an outside agency(this could take months & months depending on which credit card company you are with). if you fail to pay them, they will probably issue a county court judgement. but if they are unable to locate you this probably wont happen.

i couldn't do what you are suggesting but the bottom line is you could get away with this if you stay in oz for around 6 years. after which time the black data will no longer be on your file for all to see.

my sister did a similar thing when she went to the states, she came back after 6 years and not a sniff of her bad debt on the cra file.

credit card companies write off debt(some more than others) every year. also banks make allowances for bad debt when working out yearly budgets.

don't get too worried about it, just go.
However, be aware that under the Terms of the UK Data Protection Act, if you owe them money and they can't track you down, they *could* justify keeping details of your debt for longer - the Act does allow this. Technically, you are committing a crime - theft - so don't count on your rights as a 'Data Subject' to have info about you not kept 'longer than is necessary'.

At the mo, organisations are tending to err on the side of retaining info if in doubt, after Humberside Police got it in the neck for deleting Ian Huntley's details. It's much more of an issue now....

Anya.
Old May 18th 2004, 1:03 am
o_0

Originally posted by qet
bet if someone ripped you off, you'd kick and scream like anything.
I've met people like you before, you dishonest twat.
Who is this addressed to?
Old May 18th 2004, 3:55 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pompeywill
Personally I dont see this as theft,(in Mikes case) these credit card companies continually bombard us with their cards so they deserve to get ripped off now and again.
IThe banks have been ripping me off for years with their charges so sod em.
How old are you?

So when mike needed the money, he said "oh god i'm being bombarded by all these credit cards making me take their money, oh i'm so pissed off i may as well just use them to shut them up"

So its the credit cards fault? Nope i don't think so......

OR

"Oh no what am i gonna do, we are desperate for money, i'll see if the card limit can be upped so i can get out of this hole. We'll sort it out later"

So the company loan him the money and then its up to Mike to pay it back? Right? YEP! Thats more like it.
As Sue said hes a grown up, he made the decision to borrow the money. BORROW the money, so as a grown up it makes perfect sense that at some point YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY IT BACK!!

And Don, i agree, its a small drop in the ocean, but lets face it if we all didn't it would be catastrophic

I hope that Australia is all that you dream it will be, cos if not you will find it hard to go home, and lets face it, you aint gonna get another credit card any time soon overhere..............:lecture:
Old May 18th 2004, 4:00 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pompeywill
Only last week I was charged £25 to move some money from one account to another........IN THE SAME BANK
Lets hope you're not in the same bank as Mike. Now they are 10 grand down, they may just have to up this charge by a couple of quid? They have to recoup it somehow...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.