Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Credit Card debt

Credit Card debt

Old Sep 21st 2004, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

mrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nice
Default Re: Credit Card debt

or you could transfer your debt to a new credit card, one with six months interest free, to give you some extra time
Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

mandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the rough

Mate,having returned from u.s,international debt and also credit (if you had A1 credit) doesnt follow you,as you have to start all over again
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:54 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]Not necessarily so; many people on here have just walked into branhces - its easier if you do it during the first 6 weeks as they can say your passport has been checked recently so you get more points for it.
I wasn't even asked if I had an account anywhere else, they weren't interested, nor did they want any refernces, statements etc.[/QUOTE]

I am surprised. When I wanted to open an account I had to produce 2 forms of photographic ID and proof of address.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 10:13 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

"Re : credit statements - we took credit card accounts, paid off loan statements and cleared mortgage statements to show to the *bank* so that we could open accounts, receive a low rate of interest for a loan and proof that we were responsible with credit. We also had documentation to show we had closed the credit card accounts - Oz banks are as sober and conservative as any lending organisation. Once they could see we had a credit history - Oz credit card approvals were given to us.

Within 6 weeks of arriving in Perth we had bank accounts, overdraft facility, credit cards, car loan approval and a mortgage approval, we purchased a house within 12 weeks of migrating - point being *be prepared*..... we were the foreigners and we planned to make it easy for them to want to lend money to us at the lowest rate."

The above is a quote from Odaat on the 'How little money did you emigrate with?' thread.

NB. Have you also considered that defaulting on your repayments could also involve your family in hassle, as a recovery agency might put pressure on them to repay it in your absence? Also it could make great difficulties for whoever moves into your old place when they find the address is blacklisted.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 10:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treefrog

I am surprised. When I wanted to open an account I had to produce 2 forms of photographic ID and proof of address.
Yeah, you do need the "100 points" of ID - which is why its a good idea to open an account as soon as possible, cos a passport is worth 100 for the first few weeks. However, no one seems to have needed proof of banking history in the UK.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 4:45 pm
patrickgoldsmith

patrickgoldsmith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yeah, you do need the "100 points" of ID - which is why its a good idea to open an account as soon as possible, cos a passport is worth 100 for the first few weeks. However, no one seems to have needed proof of banking history in the UK.
I think mike should make some kind of arrangemet to pay from oz either by getting a flexible loan as suggested or keeping a live bank account in the u,k to pay at least minimum payments, it may seem like a moral question" wait hold the phone i have just answered the phone to be told capital one who i have a card with that i can have a loan to pay it off with" coincidence or big bro in action?? i could have easily said yes ten grand would be gr8 right now but just put the phone down you lot can decide on the relevance. The question for me is do you need the money that badly mike, i don,t know if i have enough to get me settled in oz and i sympathise if you are short but i am sure there is some way of transfering the debt, and paying from oz even taking a payment break, just be careful whatever you decide.
I,d like to know how much you had to leave with above ten grand before i made a moral judgement.