I like the staff honesty

Old May 17th 2004, 11:34 am
come on you reds!!!!!

eilish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I'm applying for a BarclayCard !!

I like the staff honesty
honesty is the best policy.

no point beating round the bush, the man needs to know these things.

mike is barclaycard one of the cards you have????

we tend to keep our bad debt in house as much as we can and would only "sell-on" as last resort.

i feel so sorry for people who worry terribly about debt, but going to the other end of the world sometimes is not the right thing to do, but if he wants to do it then its up to him.
Old May 17th 2004, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Mike-33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thanks Eilish for the support. In an ideal world, this would never of been an issue but without saying too much, my wife had a major health setback last year and we had to go private. I accumilated over £8k in fee's and as you can imagine this hasn't helped our cashflow situation since.

I do not have a Barclaycard.

I wonder how any debt recovery agencies can (like someone said) even find out where I am. I am self emplyed, work on my own, and will not be telling anyone (inc neighbours) where we all are going to.

As much as I'm being advised by the majority to 'pay up', I don't really see how, so will take my chances. If things don't work out in Oz, then we go elsewhere.

Would you ever return to this pathetic country ??

Thanks all for your replies tho, i do appreciate them :-)

Mike the dodge.
Old May 17th 2004, 12:24 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Mike-33

Mike the dodge.

The pathetic country that 'gave' you 10 thousand pounds?
Old May 17th 2004, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Mike-33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Janyray. yup, that's the one!

Lets hope YOU aint ever put in this situ aye!
Old May 17th 2004, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Well thanks Eilish for the support. In an ideal world, this would never of been an issue but without saying too much, my wife had a major health setback last year and we had to go private. I accumilated over ?k in fee's and as you can imagine this hasn't helped our cashflow situation since.

I wonder how any debt recovery agencies can (like someone said) even find out where I am. I am self emplyed, work on my own, and will not be telling anyone (inc neighbours) where we all are going to.

As much as I'm being advised by the majority to 'pay up', I don't really see how, so will take my chances. If things don't work out in Oz, then we go elsewhere.

Mike the dodge.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike,

Well best of luck with your move to Australia.

Despite the confidence some people have that 'they won't find you', I wouldn't be so confident!

I was a Police Officer here in Hong Kong for 12 years, including time in the Commercial Crime Bureau, (Counterfeit Division), and I would be pretty confident I would be able to track you down............if the fee was worth the effort of course.

Anyway, just bear in mind that banks in Oz might want a reference from your bankers in the UK before they offer you a mortgage........maybe?

Good luck anyway.

Cheers
Old May 17th 2004, 1:03 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

You say track him down for a fee; define track him down.

Since these debts are civil; what good would it do to track him down apart from sending out a letter stating "hahaha, we know where you are now, can you please consider paying us."?

Australia doesn't have debtor's jail, nor does it extradite people for having civil debts to a foreign financial institution.
I'm also pretty sure Australia's doesn't hear small claims and defaulted loans cases for foreign banks, etc.

Not trying to be a smartass here, just wondering exactly what good it would do to track him down.
Old May 17th 2004, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ulujain
You say track him down for a fee; define track him down.

Since these debts are civil; what good would it do to track him down apart from sending out a letter stating "hahaha, we know where you are now, can you please consider paying us."?

Australia doesn't have debtor's jail, nor does it extradite people for having civil debts to a foreign financial institution.
I'm also pretty sure Australia's doesn't hear small claims and defaulted loans cases for foreign banks, etc.

Not trying to be a smartass here, just wondering exactly what good it would do to track him down.
---------------------------------

Thanks for your reply.

OK, by 'Track him down', is meant to refer to 'locating someone', or to 'find someone who does not wish to be found'.

It's quite easy, I've done it several times in the past,(whilst in the Police), you can't live in the modern World these days without bank accounts, credit cards, telephones and club memberships.

Unless you are Osama Bin Laden, and you are hiding in Afganistan, someone who is really determined could probably find you.

Even Mike would have probably told his mates down the pub he was off to Oz, might have kids at school, so the teacher would know about it..........need I go on?

However, you are quite right, I doubt Mike will be off to jail for his 10,000 Quid debts.

However, thats not my point, my point is that if 'they' (the bankers) really wanted to locate him they probably could.......if they really wanted to, unlikely for 10,000 Quid I agree.

Also I understand that Visa or Mastercard International would be able to make a claim against Mike in an Australian Court for an overseas debt, provided they could prove he was the same person as that who owed the debt in the UK.

All they would have to do, (once or if they located where he lived) is obtain a Court summons to Mike's bankers in Oz to produce the copies of his British passport he used to open his account and that is 'one-nil' to the credit card company.

I just can't understand why some people on here are rather keen on advising Mike that eveything will be alright, just bugger off and thats it........sorted!

I just feel it is better to suggust to him that there are some risks to his actions, thats all.

Cheers.
Old May 17th 2004, 4:13 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by paddythepilot
---------------------------------

Thanks for your reply.

OK, by 'Track him down', is meant to refer to 'locating someone', or to 'find someone who does not wish to be found'.

It's quite easy, I've done it several times in the past,(whilst in the Police), you can't live in the modern World these days without bank accounts, credit cards, telephones and club memberships.

Unless you are Osama Bin Laden, and you are hiding in Afganistan, someone who is really determined could probably find you.

Even Mike would have probably told his mates down the pub he was off to Oz, might have kids at school, so the teacher would know about it..........need I go on?

However, you are quite right, I doubt Mike will be off to jail for his 10,000 Quid debts.

However, thats not my point, my point is that if 'they' (the bankers) really wanted to locate him they probably could.......if they really wanted to, unlikely for 10,000 Quid I agree.

Also I understand that Visa or Mastercard International would be able to make a claim against Mike in an Australian Court for an overseas debt, provided they could prove he was the same person as that who owed the debt in the UK.

All they would have to do, (once or if they located where he lived) is obtain a Court summons to Mike's bankers in Oz to produce the copies of his British passport he used to open his account and that is 'one-nil' to the credit card company.

I just can't understand why some people on here are rather keen on advising Mike that eveything will be alright, just bugger off and thats it........sorted!

I just feel it is better to suggust to him that there are some risks to his actions, thats all.

Cheers.
Could he not just get plastic surgery and get a fingerprint change at the same time !!! Mad but ive read this thread with awe..

I am struggling here to come up with 100k for my bond as we need to sell this bloody house, and its doing my head in, on reading the thread im tempted to stack 40kgb 100kau on credit cards and pay the bloody Bond.... but alas id lose weight sleep and possibly my kneecaps so best to struggle and remain clearminded and legal

Old May 17th 2004, 5:22 pm
Gremlin

If it was so easy to run up a big credit card debt and then disappear, why aren't more people doing it?

Obviously the majority wouldn't do this because they have a social and moral conscience. But the less responsible would view it as a golden opportunity to deliberately run up debt to finance their last few months in the UK and then clear off scott free.

Surely it can't be quite so simple? I can't imagine the financial institutions allowing such a huge and expensive loop-hole to exist.

Keith

Old May 17th 2004, 5:25 pm
come on you reds!!!!!

eilish is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thanks Eilish for the support. In an ideal world, this would never of been an issue but without saying too much, my wife had a major health setback last year and we had to go private. I accumilated over £8k in fee's and as you can imagine this hasn't helped our cashflow situation since.

Mike the dodge.

mike, take no notice about this "coming to get you lark". banks don't do this(it would cost them more to do it, but anyway they don't. I mean £10k don't think so)

fair enough if it were millions then yes, i would think the bank would try there upmost to track you down, but think logically, where would they start, you could be anywhere!!

i know a couple who went to australia and had the house up for sale. they left for oz and didn't tell the building society. the house just went to auction. now that was a debt of about £80k so your £10k is a drop in the ocean. i'm sure you don't like to do what you are intending to do but see it as your only way out and i can understand that. worry is such a bad thing and banks/credit card companies are far too eager to give credit when knowingly the cardholder cannot pay it back. remember the man who owed thousands and then killed himself.

i'm not saying what you intend to do is correct, if it was barclaycard then thats part of my bonus.

in answer to your question whether i would return to this pathetic country, then i would say a big no no.

we are just waiting the outcome of the new sir as want to go to wa. and if i can't go to oz i will go somewhere in europe cos uk at the moment is crap, and its going to get worse!!!

good luck mike anyway

eilish
Old May 17th 2004, 5:32 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Mike the dodge.

hehe...anyone else thinking 'just wait and see'???

Good luck mike, but why not just pay the debt off? We had to clear a lot of debt before we decided to emigrate.....its called being a grown up. and yes we got into debt in similar circumstances, so dont go the bleeding heart story.
grow up.

Will the last troll in the building please switch the light off as they leave?
Old May 17th 2004, 7:16 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

An interesting thread it has to be said. At the end of the day Mike knows what is what and will do whatever he thinks. One thing I would say Mike is I read with interest the part about if they do ever catch up with you you would just move on elsewhere.......never returning to this pathetic country.

You must be a lucky man whereby all your family have either passed away or couldn't give a toss about you and your family (that isn't meant funny either before the flaming starts).

The point I am making is that unfortunately nobody knows whats round the corner. I do not know of your situation but if someone very close to me or my wife (if I had one) became seriously ill (not necessarily terminal) from say a RTA then the choices in life may necessitate returning for more than just a 2 week visit.

Of course if that happened then I am sure I could just get a new identity, new passport, new NI number etc and nobody would be any the wiser. Debt would be gone and the sun would shine. However, if this nightmare scenario happened just a couple of months after I had gone then hmmmmm........how would it work.

As I said, you / yours may not have any immdeiate family and so its all hypothetical. If you have though could be food for thought.

Either way, whatever you decide only you know the full score and regardless of things, lets hope things work out.

Now let the flaming of my post begin (although I would hope not)
Old May 17th 2004, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Credit Card debt

50%-50% choice really, you could leave and not pay it, or pay it and always wonder if you would have got away with it.
Why not try and keep the £10k banked for a while to see if they chase you, if they don't keep it, if they do, pay them off.

Dave
Old May 17th 2004, 7:40 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Er, nobody else has said it:

IT'S BLOODY THEFT, YOU MONGREL!!!

Who pays? Who loses? Everybody else in the institutions you're (contemplating) stealing from, they'll pay in higher charges etc. That could be me!

So tell us you're going to Aus without any funds, penniless. That you have no money to pay off ten thousand quid.

Can't do it, can you? You should use your cash 'float' to pay off what you owe.

Nobody forced you to borrow money, it was your choice. Now pay it back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.