Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Old Dec 9th 2005, 5:57 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice
Default Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by fraser
4-0
yeah i know i know ...

we've been having a bit of a bad run .. since about 1981 ...
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:05 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
We have been here for 2 1/2 years and yes cost of living is more... Especially food. I have tried to shop around for cheaper but unless you fancy spending a whole day jumping in and out of the car for a bargain and spending a small fortune on fuel it aint going happen. Then of course you have to spend the next day trying to eek it out enough for the week and home bake everything..

Not a problem for me as I don't work but how those that work full time with kids manage I don't know. Guess most live on take outs and that's why Australia's kids have such a high obesity level

Looking forward to Tesco and part time work in 07
Well Woodyinoz, today for the first time I tried exactly that. I normally do all the shopping in woolies but I'm getting a bit pissed off at the food bill now. It seems to be getting exponentialy dearer each week. The exact same shopping list is now over $100 a week more than it was a year ago.

So today I thought I'd do the hop from market to shop to local butcher to local baker etc, then go to woolies at the end to get the stuff I couldn't get anywhere else cheaper. Well after 3 hours of excursion I ended up coming home minus the woolies visit as I was too hot and knackered to carry on. So no I've only got less than half the weekly shop! So next week I'm going to bite the bullet and go back to the normal routine. All I can say to those that hop skip and jump from shop to shop to save a few bucks, you must have more time on your hands than me. Far too much like hard work.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:07 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Well Woodyinoz, today for the first time I tried exactly that. I normally do all the shopping in woolies but I'm getting a bit pissed off at the food bill now. It seems to be getting exponentialy dearer each week. The exact same shopping list is now over $100 a week more than it was a year ago.

So today I thought I'd do the hop from market to shop to local butcher to local baker etc, then go to woolies at the end to get the stuff I couldn't get anywhere else cheaper. Well after 3 hours of excursion I ended up coming home minus the woolies visit as I was too hot and knackered to carry on. So no I've only got less than half the weekly shop! So next week I'm going to bite the bullet and go back to the normal routine. All I can say to those that hop skip and jump from shop to shop to save a few bucks, you must have more time on your hands than me. Far too much like hard work.
We do it here, but we're lucky as have a cheap butchers and greengrocers near to a supermarket.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We do it here, but we're lucky as have a cheap butchers and greengrocers near to a supermarket.
For some bizarre reason we have no greengrocer only the supermarket. Can't for the life of me work out why as we are in farming country, they are obviously sending it all you you city folk . There is a big fruit and veg warehouse but that is out of town and not all that cheap.
Nicky
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:17 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyP
For some bizarre reason we have no greengrocer only the supermarket. Can't for the life of me work out why as we are in farming country, they are obviously sending it all you you city folk . There is a big fruit and veg warehouse but that is out of town and not all that cheap.
Nicky
We were in one today and paid $2 for a kilo of apples, $1.20 for a loaf of bread and 69 cents for an iceburg lettuce.

PS. next door they had swimming pools starting from $23000
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:23 am

Just looked on Tescos site and potatoes start at 27p a kilo, in coles the other day the cheapest were $3.27 that's £1.40 that's five times more expensive.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:39 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
THANK YOU VASH!!!! - was beginning to doubt myself for a mo!

Cheers

Buzzy
No worries mate; you're welcome.

I willl add that the only reason I read the Daily Mail is that it's one of three newspapers provided in our offices at work - and since the other two are The Sun and The Daily Mirror, I have decided to read the newspaper for middle class whingers with pretensions to literacy.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked on Tescos site and potatoes start at 27p a kilo, in coles the other day the cheapest were $3.27 that's £1.40 that's five times more expensive.
Just have to avoid potatoes then no problem when using the BBQ.
A big difference that we noticed is the expensive lager as in Belgium it was sooooo cheap (often cheaper that bottled water which is really scary :scared: ). Also miss the chocolate croissants (well if I am honest the chocolate in general) healthy diet or what (hee hee). But then on the upside it isn't Belgium (nothing more needs saying).
Nicky
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:49 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Possibly because petrol has been so cheap, not many have bothered about it ?
That's one of the main reasons, I believe.

And plenty of people simply can't be bothered with the hassle of a conversion, particularly since it chews up a fair bit of boot space.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:01 am
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Australian state school teachers throw a bit of light on this matter, nearly all we have met send their kids to private schools, says a lot doesnt it.
Not really.

It tells me is that nearly all the teachers you have met, send their kids to private schools (well hey, that's what people tend to do when they have a bit of spare cash lying around.) It says absolutely nothing about the quality of state schools.

Yes, private schools tend to offer a better standard of education and/or better facilities than state schools; that's why you pay through the nose for them. But this doesn't mean that the state schools are useless.

I went to a private school when I was in Western Australia, but a state school when we moved to Tasmania. I much preferred the private school (it was a Montessori school, in case anyone's interested) but it really was a luxury that my parents couldn't afford to maintain - especially with four kids to look after.

So I attended a public school, and left Year 12 with two awards for English, having achieved the highest mark in the state: a perfect score of 20/20.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
So I attended a public school, and left Year 12 with two awards for English, having achieved the highest mark in the state: a perfect score of 20/20.
Good job you don't like to mention it
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:07 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

and it was in Tasmania....
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:09 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Oh I'm awfully humble, as I'll tell you myself.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:13 am
Fighting my corner

Wink Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by Del Boy
and it was in Tasmania....
Still trying to live it down!
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Not really.

It tells me is that nearly all the teachers you have met, send their kids to private schools (well hey, that's what people tend to do when they have a bit of spare cash lying around.) It says absolutely nothing about the quality of state schools.

Yes, private schools tend to offer a better standard of education and/or better facilities than state schools; that's why you pay through the nose for them. But this doesn't mean that the state schools are useless.

I went to a private school when I was in Western Australia, but a state school when we moved to Tasmania. I much preferred the private school (it was a Montessori school, in case anyone's interested) but it really was a luxury that my parents couldn't afford to maintain - especially with four kids to look after.

My youngest 3 were at a Montessori school while we lived in Belgium but as the closest one to where we are now is 80km away it didn't come up for discussion. I am very happy with the schools that they are at now and don't feel that they are missing out in the slightest not being in private schools. They have made some very good friends and are flourishing academically and socially so I have no worries about their future here.
By the way where abouts are you in the Black country Vash as that is where I grew up (sunny Stourbridge to be exact )
Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.