British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cost-living-melbourne-v-england%3D-same-341467/)

blairdoesntcare Dec 7th 2005 1:51 am

Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Melbourne is an expensive city to live in - Australia is not cheap at all.

Our food bill is the same, outgoings are the same. Yes meat is cheaper, BUT bread and Milk are more expensive.

Petrol Is half price, but as most cars are petrol (not many diesels around) you will find that you put in double the amount of petrol than if you drove a diesel in the UK. Also note that car servicing is a rip off down under - and for some very strange reason, the Car manufacturers think that they servicing a lot more often in Oz than the UK. For example Honda cars need servicing every 6000kms - of 3,600miles - in the Uk its every 12,000 miles! The climate here is probably the same as southern Spain - cant understand that one either!

Make sure if you are heading down under to budget well!!

ABCDiamond Dec 7th 2005 1:53 am

Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by blairdoesntcare

And according to a few people on here, Melbourne is a lot more expensive than Brisbane ;)

fraser Dec 7th 2005 2:03 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
And according to a few people on here, Melbourne is a lot more expensive than Brisbane ;)

It is :D

Bhoywonder Dec 7th 2005 2:03 am

Our food bill is the same, outgoings are the same. Yes meat is cheaper, BUT bread and Milk are more expensive.

Petrol Is half price, but as most cars are petrol (not many diesels around) you will find that you put in double the amount of petrol than if you drove a diesel in the UK. Also note that car servicing is a rip off down under - and for some very strange reason, the Car manufacturers think that they servicing a lot more often in Oz than the UK. For example Honda cars need servicing every 6000kms - of 3,600miles - in the Uk its every 12,000 miles! The climate here is probably the same as southern Spain - cant understand that one either!

I would agree with this statement, cost of living is the same but the living is a whole lot better.

brisnick Dec 7th 2005 2:18 am

my car has roughly the same intervals as in the uk. (UK: 10,000 miles, AU: 15,000 kilometers).

For example Honda cars need servicing every 6000kms - of 3,600miles - in the Uk its every 12,000 miles!

Luke I Amyofath Dec 7th 2005 2:21 am

Perhaps you should have ?

Amazulu Dec 7th 2005 2:56 am

The cost of living is less in Perth compared to the UK, but not by much. The lack of diesel cars here is pathetic. I've just bought a Golf 2.0litre TDi Comfortline, it's a superb car but only one of a few diesel models available iver here. I've been into loads of dealers, seen a car & asked if it's available in diesel only to be told 'no, diesel only in available in Europe'. Why? Mazda is the only mainstream manufacturer to announce a diesel model. They are releasing a disel version of the Mazda 6 next year. Bet it sells like hotcakes.

Wake up Australia, time to join the motoring 21st century.

brisnick Dec 7th 2005 3:37 am

i'd rather have petrol. cheaper to run (ltrs/100km and price per litre)

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The cost of living is less in Perth compared to the UK, but not by much. The lack of diesel cars here is pathetic. I've just bought a Golf 2.0litre TDi Comfortline, it's a superb car but only one of a few diesel models available iver here. I've been into loads of dealers, seen a car & asked if it's available in diesel only to be told 'no, diesel only in available in Europe'. Why? Mazda is the only mainstream manufacturer to announce a diesel model. They are releasing a disel version of the Mazda 6 next year. Bet it sells like hotcakes.

Wake up Australia, time to join the motoring 21st century.

BartSimpson Dec 7th 2005 3:45 am

I am with you mate.
If only Govt could give us subsidies.... (changes in IT slab structure...) it would help (A LITTLE).
I am wondering about it since couple of months now of total 5 months I have been here.
- Bart

ABCDiamond Dec 7th 2005 4:22 am

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
If only Govt could give us subsidies....

They do...

The government subsidies our petrol in QLD, but I did hear that Melbournites pay more to cover our subsidy :D

Well, they do choose to live down there :D and someone has to pay for the subsidies they give out, so it may as well be those in Melbourne, better than those in QLD ;)

BartSimpson Dec 7th 2005 4:28 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They do...

The government subsidies our petrol in QLD, but I did hear that Melbournites pay more to cover our subsidy :D

Well, they do choose to live down there :D and someone has to pay for the subsidies they give out, so it may as well be those in Melbourne, better than those in QLD ;)

This OLD'nites.... I am real mad at them .... :mad:

:beer:
-Bart

cam_uk Dec 7th 2005 4:49 am

my initial thoughts on this (having only been here a week) are that food is generally alot more expensive here in brisbane .. (than it was back home)

We've yet to try coles/kmart but the prices in wollies has shocked me .. i would say we will be spending double we used to spend back in the uk ...

edit: we're not looking for uk brands at all either

I think we definately need to shop around more but we're only just getting used to the area ..

Eating out is a lot cheaper but with an 20 month year old daughter we're a little restricted on that as not many places seem to cater for children very well (we struggled on saturday to even find baby changing in brisbane metro)

We're still finding out feet so some of the above may not be that accurate!! :D ;)

DianneH68 Dec 7th 2005 5:02 am

Whether you find the cost of living cheaper/more costly depends on what you spend your money on and where you live in Oz/UK.
The things I spend money on - going out drinking, restaurants, clothes, gigs, sporting events - are all way cheaper here in Brisbane than back home in London.
Food is probably a bit more expensive from the supermarkets but I think the quality (in particular the fresh meat and fish) is much better.
And although some of the smaller items like bread and milk are more, how much is this really going to add onto a weekly budget?
Generally I don't find it hugely different, but I guess if you have a family it would be noticeable.
I don't have a car here so can't comment, but public transport is certainly pretty cheap.
I've said on another thread, I find it hard to spend the money I earn here, whereas back home I always ran out of money at the end of the month.

Bordy Dec 7th 2005 5:04 am

I can't believe the price of caviar over here.
When the butler told me the cost I nearly died. :rolleyes:

ABCDiamond Dec 7th 2005 5:04 am

Originally Posted by cam_uk
I think we definately need to shop around more but we're only just getting used to the area ..
<..>
We're still finding out feet so some of the above may not be that accurate!! :D ;)

It can take time to find the right places. My wife had the same problem when we moved back to the UK !

We rarely buy Bread, Milk, Fruit, Vegetables and Meat in Woolworth's, or any supermarket. It could often be double what we normally pay at our butcher or Fruit & Veg shop.