British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cost-living-melbourne-v-england%3D-same-341467/)

Amazulu Dec 6th 2005 8:06 pm

Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by Paul2004
If the car is THAT important, I'd stay put!

Sorry, but to me Oz is a damm sight more than 'what car I can afford to drive'.

I'd happily have the Panda 45 over there compared to the Jag whatever over here!

Sorry, no mean to dig but for someone who is struggling like fucnk to get there in the first place, cars seems soooo imimmaterial

Sorry, but pennies worth!

So what if the car is important to him? Cars are important to me, I'd rather have the Jag over here than the Panda.

It's tough that you are struggling to get here, but them's the breaks.

Chill dude.

Buzzy--Bee Dec 6th 2005 8:15 pm

Ohhhh damm! ... sorry, I read it sooo wrong ... :o ... Cost of living Melbourne Vs England ... Diesle Vs Petrol .... Oh I see it now ... :rolleyes:

All picked up now ... :) ... as you was ... :)

Sometimes threads do meander from their original point but that doesn't mean people can't post on them..........................

Cheers

Buzzy

lauralollipop Dec 6th 2005 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
I can't believe the price of caviar over here.
When the butler told me the cost I nearly died. :rolleyes:

nice one Boardy!!! :D

stokesy43 Dec 6th 2005 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by blairdoesntcare
Melbourne is an expensive city to live in - Australia is not cheap at all.

Our food bill is the same, outgoings are the same. Yes meat is cheaper, BUT bread and Milk are more expensive.

Petrol Is half price, but as most cars are petrol (not many diesels around) you will find that you put in double the amount of petrol than if you drove a diesel in the UK. Also note that car servicing is a rip off down under - and for some very strange reason, the Car manufacturers think that they servicing a lot more often in Oz than the UK. For example Honda cars need servicing every 6000kms - of 3,600miles - in the Uk its every 12,000 miles! The climate here is probably the same as southern Spain - cant understand that one either!

Make sure if you are heading down under to budget well!!

I'd be interested to know where you are comparing it to in the UK. I sincerely hoping it's not London

Dinnie Dec 6th 2005 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by blairdoesntcare
Melbourne is an expensive city to live in - Australia is not cheap at all.

Our food bill is the same, outgoings are the same. Yes meat is cheaper, BUT bread and Milk are more expensive.

Petrol Is half price, but as most cars are petrol (not many diesels around) you will find that you put in double the amount of petrol than if you drove a diesel in the UK. Also note that car servicing is a rip off down under - and for some very strange reason, the Car manufacturers think that they servicing a lot more often in Oz than the UK. For example Honda cars need servicing every 6000kms - of 3,600miles - in the Uk its every 12,000 miles! The climate here is probably the same as southern Spain - cant understand that one either!

Make sure if you are heading down under to budget well!!

It takes some getting used to. Where to shop for what. I would not put all my proverbial eggs into one supermarket shopping basket.

Find a local market. Try the Victoria market for it is well cheaper than the supermarket for fruit and veg. There are loads of good local markets in suburbian Melbourne - don't limit yourselves to the horrid old supermarkets. Fruit and veg shops along main drags in most suburbs are far better than getting stuff in supermarkets as they tend to be fresher.

Trust me - it is waaaaaaay cheaper in Australia that the UK. My sister has 2 kids and she tells me what her weekly shop is and it galls me. We spent almost £50 in Sainsbury the other night for 2 bags of shopping, no wine, no cleaning products just food. That's insane.

Dinnie

fraser Dec 6th 2005 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dinnie
It takes some getting used to. Where to shop for what. I would not put all my proverbial eggs into one supermarket shopping basket.

Find a local market. Try the Victoria market for it is well cheaper than the supermarket for fruit and veg. There are loads of good local markets in suburbian Melbourne - don't limit yourselves to the horrid old supermarkets. Fruit and veg shops along main drags in most suburbs are far better than getting stuff in supermarkets as they tend to be fresher.

Trust me - it is waaaaaaay cheaper in Australia that the UK. My sister has 2 kids and she tells me what her weekly shop is and it galls me. We spent almost £50 in Sainsbury the other night for 2 bags of shopping, no wine, no cleaning products just food. That's insane.

Dinnie

Yes you can shop cheaper, but supermarkets here considering the wages are considerably more expensive than the UK

Dinnie Dec 6th 2005 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
Yes you can shop cheaper, but supermarkets here considering the wages are considerably more expensive than the UK

I was only in Melbourne in January and my husband and I wandered around with our mouths open as we compared the cost of groceries.

I find it hard to believe supermarkets are more expensive there.

::heads off to Coles online to research claims::

Dinnie :) :D

Dinnie Dec 6th 2005 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by DianneH68
You're right there! I've never heard of being paid fortnightly before but it's great! You hardly seemed to have spent anything before you're getting paid again :D
Got paid today (again!) actually so it's off to the pub in a minute :beer: :D
Got to make the most of it before heading back to very expensive London on Saturday :(

Oh God how I miss the fortnightly pay packet!!

One of the first things I'm going to ask in interview when we start job hunting in Melbourne!!

Dinnie :p

fraser Dec 6th 2005 10:21 pm

I was only in Melbourne in January and my husband and I wandered around with our mouths open as we compared the cost of groceries.

I find it hard to believe supermarkets are more expensive there.

::heads off to Coles online to research claims::

Dinnie :) :D

So did we when on holiday, try doing it when you live here came as a most unpleasant surprise.

You can eat here for less than the UK, but not from the supermarket.

Dinnie Dec 6th 2005 10:25 pm

So did we when on holiday, try doing it when you live here came as a most unpleasant surprise.

You can eat here for less than the UK, but not from the supermarket.

But so many things seemed cheaper and not just cause we were spending Stirling. I went with my sister to her local fruit and veg shop and she spent $20 on enough fruit and veg for the week. For the same I'd spend about £15 in a supermarket here. We'd even do big shops for my brother and his wife as they would not let us pay to stay with them - again, amazed as the difference.

We can do this all day - in just over a month I'll be shopping there for real. I'll post then and either eat humble pie or still maintain its cheaper to live in Oz than it is in the UK.

Dinnie

fraser Dec 6th 2005 10:33 pm

But so many things seemed cheaper and not just cause we were spending Stirling. I went with my sister to her local fruit and veg shop and she spent $20 on enough fruit and veg for the week. For the same I'd spend about £15 in a supermarket here. We'd even do big shops for my brother and his wife as they would not let us pay to stay with them - again, amazed as the difference.

We can do this all day - in just over a month I'll be shopping there for real. I'll post then and either eat humble pie or still maintain its cheaper to live in Oz than it is in the UK.

Dinnie

Yes to the local fruit and veg shop, at the supermarket no.

Dinnie Dec 6th 2005 10:39 pm

Yes to the local fruit and veg shop, at the supermarket no.

How long have you lived in Melbourne?

fraser Dec 6th 2005 10:51 pm

How long have you lived in Melbourne?

Three and a half months.

eljustino Dec 6th 2005 10:57 pm

I ride a Honda C90 which in the Uk does 100 miles for £1 ... ish!

I eat apples and do not drink milk!

I am drunk and PLEASE excuse this post ... :o

Sowwy ... :o

mate just rad your post this morning I laughed my arse and spat out my brew all over my monitor I am sending you the cleaning bill. Fun ny post mate have some karma lmao :beer: it has a lot to answer for....

eljustino Dec 6th 2005 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by eljustino
mate just rad your post this morning I laughed my arse and spat out my brew all over my monitor I am sending you the cleaning bill. Fun ny post mate have some karma lmao :beer: it has a lot to answer for....

sorry ignore me
[