British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cost-living-melbourne-v-england%3D-same-341467/)

fraser Dec 9th 2005 8:43 am

Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Thanks Bordy... maybe hold you to that next year....

Mind you I reckon that you will only do it once :p

Saying that you have survived after having girls ;)

He wouldn't survive round here with the boys :scared:

ABCDiamond Dec 9th 2005 10:53 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You say your retired so that would be a big factor compared to people who work, fuel for say an hours commute into melbourne, a tradesman on the road constantly, apprentice who is expected to provide car and fuel for his job. 3kids who need dropping everywere, people who just generally get out more :)

When I was working in Sydney, I commuted 40kms each way, which was less than I did in the UK.

To drive to the beach in the UK was an hours drive, here it is 2 minutes.

To drive to the shops in the UK was 10-15 mins, here it is 3 minutes.

Currently my wife works and drives 12km each way to work. I do the school run, and shopping etc.

Our fuel costs, with two cars, are less than when we were in the UK, with just one car !!

Therefore, in my case, and probably others too, driving is less here in Australia.

The point is that everyone is different, some will use more others will use less, but for some people to just say that we will all use more is WRONG. It gives the wrong impression to people who are not here.

I have seen you say how much fuel you use on previous posts, but without expaining to people that it is for business use. Not everyone runs around all day long, some people just drive to work, school etc, like my family.

But Yes, if you drive between NSW and QLD every day, I agree that you may well use more fuel than you did in the UK, unless of course you drove from London to Glasgow, and back, every day in your UK job.

It varies. It depends on personal circumstances. You use more. I use less.

Not everyone will use more ......

Not everyone will use less ......

When you say...

, people who just generally get out more :)

who are you talking about ? If you pick the right place to live, day to day travelling can become less, and yet you can still do more.

ABCDiamond Dec 9th 2005 10:58 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I'm with you on this one. The average Brit drives about 8700 miles per year (AA, 2005) whereas the average Aussie drives about 8800 miles per year (ABS, 2002). As you, and most other people know, most of the Aus population is in the major cities and people tend to live close to work (the biggest contributer to yearly mileage).

I think the myth that you have to drive a lot further in Aus comes from people who have moved from an urban setting in one country to a sub-urban or semi-rural setting in Aus.

I think you are right. It would be good if people explained their circumstances when making quotes like that, then people would be better informed in making their choices.

I know that some people who have made that comment, actually lived 20-30k from the local shops. And in their case, it is expected that the fuel use is going to be very high.

mumomonty Dec 9th 2005 3:09 pm

Hello

I used to live in Oz(2 years ago) but now live in NZ but probably be back in Oz within 3 years (work).

I found money went a long way in Aus and we always had loads left over at the end of eachmonth and even managed to save!!!!!

Here in NZ, same wage, no horse to feed (and they cost a lot) and we are ok but no excess so my question is:

Has Oz gotten more expensive during the last 2 years?

Apparently it's gone through the roof here over the last 4 years.

MrsDagboy Dec 9th 2005 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Hello

I used to live in Oz(2 years ago) but now live in NZ but probably be back in Oz within 3 years (work).

I found money went a long way in Aus and we always had loads left over at the end of eachmonth and even managed to save!!!!!

Here in NZ, same wage, no horse to feed (and they cost a lot) and we are ok but no excess so my question is:

Some things have gone up quite a bit, petrol only 12 months ago was 85 cents/litre, now its around the $1 mark, it was as high as $1.25 in Brisbane at one point, but has dropped dramatically again. I think insurance has substantially increased as well (post 9/11). But many things havent gone up in ages (despite what some people say), where I live for example you can still buy a dozen eggs for $1.99, chicken breast fillets are still regularly for sale for $8.99/kg & I can still buy 2 loaves of Wonderwhite bread for $5, all in Woolworths + heaps of other stuff has stayed the same or not increased by more than a few cents. Some food has gone up, but in general it hasnt been too bad where I live. In other things like whitegoods & electrical etc prices have dropped dramatically in the last 5 years, you only have to look at the prices for things like computers/tv's/dvds/digital cameras to appreciate that. Many new cars still sell now for virtually the same price that they were selling in the mid to late 1990s, look at the Nissan Pulsars as an example.

I guess the bottom line is that no one can realistically complain that the cost of living should never go up, as always things like food increase in price because of the increased costs to produce it.

jad n rich Dec 9th 2005 4:00 pm

Hello

Yes it has, there are a lot of threads on OZ cost of living if you do a search for current prices, I go on our arrival which was 5 years ago, sorry not the two you are looking at but in the 5 years most of our bills have almost doubled. Houses have also doubled, although that is one cost thats not moving much now, although that again depends where you are, some areas increased 17% perth, darwin 21% but sydney went down, building materials are certainly still rising. You could say OZ was cheap compared to europe in the early 2000's but not now. New zealand still seems to provide new arrivals with the biggest shock probably because wages are lower too.

ABCDiamond Dec 9th 2005 4:05 pm

It will depend on what you buy, and where you buy it :)

You'll get mixed answers ;)

Bread, milk and eggs are cheaper, for us, than they were 3 years ago.

jad n rich Dec 9th 2005 4:20 pm

Some examples rounded off as doing them from memory not digging out receipts again

Medical insurance, was $1200 now $2200
Our first home $195,000 now would sell if we still had it for around the $450,000
Food now $280 can remember bills around $150 at the beginning.
Swimming pool we paid $12,999 last time all in, no pool now but replacement would be advertised at $18,999 plus all the extras.
Rates, were around $1200 last bill was $2200 but thats mainly land value increases.
Petrol I think was in the 60c range, hard to remember it varies weekly, recently its been anywhere from 99c - $129

Notable things that have come down are airconditining units, however they are selling off as new units will soon need to be installed.
Cars have come down I think it was due to import duties.

Hope that helps

Ialibu Dec 9th 2005 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
I can't believe the price of caviar over here.
When the butler told me the cost I nearly died. :rolleyes:

Keep your eye on them. They tend to skimp on the boot polish and sell what's left over on the black market :cool:

ABCDiamond Dec 9th 2005 5:51 pm

Some of our actual examples (as I keep full daily records):

$1,579.77 annual Rates in 2003 exc Actual water use
$1,670.18 annual Rates in 2005 exc Actual water use
6% increase

$127.24 pw Food in 2003 ave pw
$112.83 pw Food last 5 months in 2005 ave pw
-11% Decrease (found better shops)

$20.73 pw Elec 2003 pw
$23.45 pw Elec 2005 pw (exc Ambulance Levy)
13% increase

$29.42 pw Medical 2003 pw
$33.60 pw Medical 2005 pw (this varies depending on our health)
14% increase

I can't recall the actual petrol cost per litre in 2003, but I just paid 92.5 cents today. (It was 95.9c on Dec 2, 2004)

Amazulu Dec 9th 2005 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When I was working in Sydney, I commuted 40kms each way, which was less than I did in the UK.

To drive to the beach in the UK was an hours drive, here it is 2 minutes.

To drive to the shops in the UK was 10-15 mins, here it is 3 minutes.

Currently my wife works and drives 12km each way to work. I do the school run, and shopping etc.

Our fuel costs, with two cars, are less than when we were in the UK, with just one car !!

Therefore, in my case, and probably others too, driving is less here in Australia.

The point is that everyone is different, some will use more others will use less, but for some people to just say that we will all use more is WRONG. It gives the wrong impression to people who are not here.

I have seen you say how much fuel you use on previous posts, but without expaining to people that it is for business use. Not everyone runs around all day long, some people just drive to work, school etc, like my family.

But Yes, if you drive between NSW and QLD every day, I agree that you may well use more fuel than you did in the UK, unless of course you drove from London to Glasgow, and back, every day in your UK job.

It varies. It depends on personal circumstances. You use more. I use less.

Not everyone will use more ......

Not everyone will use less ......

When you say... who are you talking about ? If you pick the right place to live, day to day travelling can become less, and yet you can still do more.

And if you drove diesel cars you'd be using less, much less.

BadgeIsBack Dec 9th 2005 10:20 pm

Some examples rounded off as doing them from memory not digging out receipts again

Our first home $195,000 now would sell if we still had it for around the $450,000
Swimming pool we paid $12,999 last time all in, no pool now but replacement would be advertised at $18,999 plus all the extras.
Rates, were around $1200 last bill was $2200 but thats mainly land value increases.
Petrol I think was in the 60c range, hard to remember it varies weekly, recently its been anywhere from 99c - $129

Notable things that have come down are airconditining units, however they are selling off as new units will soon need to be installed.

Hope that helps

Your rates are twice what we pay. :scared:

merlotsmum Dec 9th 2005 10:24 pm

Hope that helps

This could be UK compared to Oz for rises over the years, we are under constant threat of our gas/elec bills going sky high due to lack or resources, so depressing :(

We pay more rent here in UK (only an average home), on top of that nearly £1k p.a. rates and £250 p.a. water - we did not have to pay that in Oz :( All in with the rent.