Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:18 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Just had a quick look at the latest salary figures; average for Britain is $57,730 (see here) and $55,692 for Australia (see here.)

I'd say that's a pretty good effort by Australia, especially considering the fact that we're a few zillion miles from Europe and our population is only a third of the UK's.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:19 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by NickyP
My youngest 3 were at a Montessori school while we lived in Belgium but as the closest one to where we are now is 80km away it didn't come up for discussion. I am very happy with the schools that they are at now and don't feel that they are missing out in the slightest not being in private schools. They have made some very good friends and are flourishing academically and socially so I have no worries about their future here.

By the way where abouts are you in the Black country Vash as that is where I grew up (sunny Stourbridge to be exact )
Nicky
I'm in sunny Rushall; just on the Pelsall/Aldridge border.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'm in sunny Rushall; just on the Pelsall/Aldridge border.
Oh so you are stretching the definition of the Black Country then hee hee
Nicky
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:34 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by NickyP
Oh so you are stretching the definition of the Black Country then hee hee
Nicky
Hardly! Even around Cannock Chase these days, you will hear more Black Country accents than you could throw a dog at!

Anyway, Rushall is just inside Walsall, and Walsall is 100% Black Country.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly! Even around Cannock Chase these days, you will hear more Black Country accents than you could throw a dog at!

Anyway, Rushall is just inside Walsall, and Walsall is 100% Black Country.
Ah yes but areas like Cannock and Wolverhampton have only been part of the Black Country since it became a tourist thing. But Walsall is proper Black Country so I will let you off . The accent is hard to leave behind I am afraid I am hoping that the kids will avoid it completely as we have been away for a long time (even the Aussie drawl is better ). Ian's family are from the west country so some choice eh Black Coutry or farmers hee hee.
Nicky.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future

Back to the original subject ....

From what I've read earlier in this thread people seem to indicate the struggle comes from the lower earnings in Australia rather than necessarily the cost of living.

I'm going to be earning 2.5 times my UK salary moving from Cheshire to Melbourne. So going by that I should be able to have a reasonable standard of living, yes?
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:43 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stokesy43

From what I've read earlier in this thread people seem to indicate the struggle comes from the lower earnings in Australia rather than necessarily the cost of living.

I'm going to be earning 2.5 times my UK salary moving from Cheshire to Melbourne. So going by that I should be able to have a reasonable standard of living, yes?
Yes you'll have a great life
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:52 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

depends on what the original salary was!

2.5 times of 4K ???
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Unless you have a very lavish lifestyle you should be fine especially if you have a lump sum towards buying a house.
Nicky
Old Dec 8th 2005, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Life can't be too difficult if you can afford $10,000 on a private school for your kids.

Your suggestion that this will be a necessary expense for ex-pats is as laughable as it is offensive.
Actually, I've spent the past 12 months scrubbing peoples toilets in 30 degree heat - with no air-con - to pay for my kids education here, so YOUR comment is particulalrly offensive to me.

I think YOUR judgement that our live 'can't be too dificult' is laughable. You have no idea of our financial situation at all but are so very quick to comment. We have 'lived' solely on my husbands salary.

As for your comment that school fees are not a necessary expense for ex-pats, you need to get into the real world.

The fact is that although FNQ has everything else going for it, the schooling up here (state) is poor, hence the expensive private school. I have spent a year waiting for my kids to be accepted at another private (but considerably cheaper) school up here and they start next January.

I am not a whinger, I love being in Australia and it has been a great move for us and our kids. Sorry to be actually posting something factual - perhaps those of us living it should keep our traps shut in future and let the day dreamers have their say only.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cam_uk
I'm on about 90k but have to keep a young family .. i'm worrying that it wont be enough now that i'm actually here ...

We have yet to buy a house and will have to have a full mortgage to do it ...

Still i'd rather be poor here .. than poor back in brum
You are on the same as us and we manage fine. Basic but fine. Our kids are in after school activities too. We always have enough food but there is little for meals out and hubby and I haven't been out together for ages You may find that you have to cut out the slabs of beer and holidays abroad though Just don't over do the mortgage as there is talk about an interest rate hike on the horizon.

I am going home because we cant afford the trips to the UK to see family and the lifestyle that we used to have!
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

You mean as in your salary in £'s x 2.5 x 2.32'ish to $'s? :scared: Not for the same job surely? That's some Cheshire Gap!

OzTennis
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Well Woodyinoz, today for the first time I tried exactly that. I normally do all the shopping in woolies but I'm getting a bit pissed off at the food bill now. It seems to be getting exponentialy dearer each week. The exact same shopping list is now over $100 a week more than it was a year ago.

So today I thought I'd do the hop from market to shop to local butcher to local baker etc, then go to woolies at the end to get the stuff I couldn't get anywhere else cheaper. Well after 3 hours of excursion I ended up coming home minus the woolies visit as I was too hot and knackered to carry on. So no I've only got less than half the weekly shop! So next week I'm going to bite the bullet and go back to the normal routine. All I can say to those that hop skip and jump from shop to shop to save a few bucks, you must have more time on your hands than me. Far too much like hard work.
I don't do the running around... I hate shopping. For me being rural I have only one close Safeway anyway... the butchers are just as expensive next door to them! Often $14 a kilo for chicken :scared:

How do people manage all that in and out of the car in 30+ days... not something that you would wish to do with a baby
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:06 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
I don't do the running around... I hate shopping. For me being rural I have only one close Safeway anyway... the butchers are just as expensive next door to them! Often $14 a kilo for chicken :scared:

How do people manage all that in and out of the car in 30+ days... not something that you would wish to do with a baby
It's a pain in the arse getting the bloody push chair in and out especially when the two yr old keeps running off
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by OzTennis
You mean as in your salary in £'s x 2.5 x 2.32'ish to $'s? :scared: Not for the same job surely? That's some Cheshire Gap!

OzTennis
Nice thought I wouldn't mind earning that.

I meant my salary in Melbourne in $$$ is 2.5 times my £££ UK Salary. Well actually 2.625 to be precise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.