Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Wikiposts

Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:06 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by blairdoesntcare
good point regarding your sisters shopping bill - but are you converting the Oz dollars to Uk Pounds ? If you are then you have forgotten that its different earning dollars than spending converted UK Pounds.. I earn over $120,000 AUD and find the place as expensive as Hampshire in England.
I earn similar to you & find it nearly as expensive in Perth as it is in the UK. Groceries about the same, eating out is less. Drinking in a decent pub is more expensive than in central London. One thing that is much cheaper here is motor insurance, AUD550 compared to GBP380 for a similar vehicle.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:07 pm
Banned

blairdoesntcare is an unknown quantity at this point

The Audi A3 sportback TDI DGS was $50,000 on the road. List price is $60,000 but I got an ex demo. Insurance is quite reasonable look at www.allianz.com.au for the best quote. The expensive part of the whole car riunning costs are Tyres (especially 18" ones) and servicing which is a HUGE rip-off as for some stupid reason cars need servicing more often in Oz.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Brilliant!!!! very encouraging. Hopefully Jaguar in Oz start importing the diesel Jag - guess if Audi are doing it won't be long before the other luxury car makers start following suit. May I ask how much your Audi was and whether the insurance is horrendously expensive?

(and guys - please don't start saying I should stay in the UK if I'm worried about what car etc etc - I love the Jag because it's comfortable over long distances, transports my 2 babies in total safety with all its safety features and above all it's cheap to run (why do I feel I have to justify this FFS?))

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:10 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I earn about $35,000 & find it hard to whinge about cost of living here.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:16 pm
Banned

Agree with every word below - we are heading back to Oz in 07 also - may see you on the Quantas flight back!!!

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
We have been here for 2 1/2 years and yes cost of living is more... Especially food. I have tried to shop around for cheaper but unless you fancy spending a whole day jumping in and out of the car for a bargain and spending a small fortune on fuel it aint going happen. Then of course you have to spend the next day trying to eek it out enough for the week and home bake everything..

Not a problem for me as I don't work but how those that work full time with kids manage I don't know. Guess most live on take outs and that's why Australia's kids have such a high obesity level

Looking forward to Tesco and part time work in 07
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:17 pm
Banned

Yes but you are from Scotland - did you bring the wallpaper over with you?

Originally Posted by Bordy
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:38 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It was in Wednesday's Daily Mail.
THANK YOU VASH!!!! - was beginning to doubt myself for a mo!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:40 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Sorry I don't have time to trawl your other posts, could you elaborate please, not sure what you are trying to say
The second line of that post was a quote from my previous post.

It's not important though.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bordy
We don't earn that much more than you, (well not more than 40% more) and we live comfortably with enough left to invest.

However when I was earning on par with the other poster, we did manage to have the odd 4/5 week holidays a couple of times a year, etc. And of course buy a couple of houses

Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:44 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We don't earn that much more than you, (well not more than 40% more) and we live comfortably with enough left to invest.

However when I was earning on par with the other poster, we did manage to have the odd 4/5 week holidays a couple of times a year, etc. And of course buy a couple of houses

I'm on about 90k but have to keep a young family .. i'm worrying that it wont be enough now that i'm actually here ...

We have yet to buy a house and will have to have a full mortgage to do it ...

Still i'd rather be poor here .. than poor back in brum
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:47 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cam_uk
I'm on about 90k but have to keep a young family .. i'm worrying that it wont be enough now that i'm actually here ...

We have yet to buy a house and will have to have a full mortgage to do it ...

Still i'd rather be poor here .. than poor back in brum
I have a young family and I'm earning nothing.

I did get a job that I quit $32000 a year
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:49 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by fraser
I have a young family and I'm earning nothing.

I did get a job that I quit $32000 a year
hey you can come stay with us if you like .. we can all be poor together ...
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:50 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

hey you can come stay with us if you like .. we can all be poor together ...
Can we discuss the football
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:52 pm
birmingham to brisbane

Originally Posted by fraser
Can we discuss the football
absolutely .. now repeat after me ... 'aston villa are the best team ... EVER '

Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:55 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blairdoesntcare
Agree with every word below - we are heading back to Oz in 07 also - may see you on the Quantas flight back!!!
Learn to spell Qantas before you get back ............. mm
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:56 pm

absolutely .. now repeat after me ... 'aston villa are the best team ... EVER '

4-0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.