Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Old Dec 13th 2010, 1:47 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
It's probably because an Australian citizen or Australian PR can, if they meet the normal character and residency (as in been resident in NZ for the right amount of time) obtain NZ citizenship. It's understandable then that Kiwi citizens might assume they get the same deal in Australia.
I suspect it is more to do with the fact that up until Feb 2001 NZ Citizens could automatically get Aus PR with their passports, which after 2 years led to Oz citizenship.

Now they have to qualify for Aus PR like every other country, but this does not seem to have been widely broadcast in NZ!

BB
Old Dec 13th 2010, 2:29 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I suspect it is more to do with the fact that up until Feb 2001 NZ Citizens could automatically get Aus PR with their passports, which after 2 years led to Oz citizenship.

Now they have to qualify for Aus PR like every other country, but this does not seem to have been widely broadcast in NZ!

BB
Yeah, true, that too.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

baker4 is a jewel in the roughbaker4 is a jewel in the roughbaker4 is a jewel in the roughbaker4 is a jewel in the roughbaker4 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by James516
Gaining Oz citizenship (or indeed citizenship of any other country) will mean you lose your Dutch citizenship. Unless your NZ citizenship was by birth (not descent or naturalisation) you may have already lost your Dutch - which order did you obtain them?
NZ by birth, Dutch by descent, Mother is Australian
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
:face palm:

My advice is well I have no advice...you're a muppet! And when you do finally realise what I've said go and check and you'll find that there are many things you can lose it for these days.
Can you please cite one, especially one that is new?

That is: One thing that causes a person to lose their US citizenship. Bonus if it is for 'taking a 3rd citizenship'.

Bob, you don't get de-naturalized for going to Cuba, just fined.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
*face-palm* have another go

Hmmm I think you and Weebie are co-horts.

Nothing wrong with my reading skills or my response.

You may have upteem citizenships and you will not lose your US Citizenship.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Trigamy, Buzzy Bee , I love that idea!!!!

Like you say, its not illegal, and may indeed be a brilliant idea for a business venture here on B.E - fake trigamous marriages for visa's!!

Thanks for the advice - sound, as always.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
New Zealand's biggest export to Australia - population!

BB

One of the greatest political quips of all time was when a former NZ prime minister was questioned over Kiwis migrating to Australia.

His reply

''it's a good thing, it increases the IQ of both countries''
Old Dec 14th 2010, 8:14 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

That is outright b*llsh*t. Just got back from the states and as is usual now with being a Dual Citizen I was grilled for about 10 minutes by two people. Times are changing and the states want to know what there expats are doing. IF possible they also want to remove there citizenship. Yes and it's clearly stated online at there website you will lose your US citizenship if you are a dual citizen and you obtain a 3rd passport. US Customs we're good to tell me that people were coming into SFO every day and finding out they are no longer a citizen of the states. Another one is military you can lose it that way as well if you are dual. IF I joined the Australian Military boom there goes the US Citizenship.

The laws have changed recently and this Rete has NFI what he/she is talking about.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 3:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That is outright b*llsh*t. Just got back from the states and as is usual now with being a Dual Citizen I was grilled for about 10 minutes by two people. Times are changing and the states want to know what there expats are doing. IF possible they also want to remove there citizenship. Yes and it's clearly stated online at there website you will lose your US citizenship if you are a dual citizen and you obtain a 3rd passport. US Customs we're good to tell me that people were coming into SFO every day and finding out they are no longer a citizen of the states. Another one is military you can lose it that way as well if you are dual. IF I joined the Australian Military boom there goes the US Citizenship.

The laws have changed recently and this Rete has NFI what he/she is talking about.
Are you a US citizen?
If so, did you enter and exit the US with your US passport?
Did you present any other passport to US immigration/customs/border people?

Can you please direct us to "there website" where it is "clearly stated" that you will lose your US citizenship if you take a 3rd citizenship.

Rete has every FI what she's talking about. Sharing correct information is what this site is all about.

Originally Posted by meauxna
Can you please cite one, especially one that is new?

That is: One thing that causes a person to lose their US citizenship. Bonus if it is for 'taking a 3rd citizenship'.

Bob, you don't get de-naturalized for going to Cuba, just fined.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could have some of what he's smoking...
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Laws have not changed recently:
http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...nship_778.html

The circumstances in which a US citizen can involuntarily lose citizenship are quite limited and the current legal position is in fact mainly a result of various Supreme Court rulings in recent decades.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baker4
NZ by birth, Dutch by descent, Mother is Australian
Becoming an Australian citizen may well cause you to lose Dutch citizenship unless:

1. You were born in Australia (unlikely, based on the facts) and currently living in Australia; or
2. If you lived continuously in Australia for 5 years before age 18; or
3. If you're the spouse of an Australian citizen.

http://www.minbuza.nl/en/Services/Co...nt_nationality

If you are concerned about losing Dutch citizenship, you should take legal advice from a competent Dutch lawyer before you pursue Australian citizenship.

It's also possible to lose Dutch citizenship based on living outside the Netherlands:
http://www.minbuza.nl/en/Services/Co...al_nationality

One further thing. If you lose Dutch citizenship and the other parent isn't Dutch, then it may also cause your children to lose their Dutch citizenship (some countries operate on this principle). Again, get legal advice if this is important.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:21 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Mates of mine have lost Spanish and German Citizenship recently. Euro countries and America aren't stuffing around with Dual citizenship anymore.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:29 pm

Mates of mine have lost Spanish and German Citizenship recently. Euro countries and America aren't stuffing around with Dual citizenship anymore.
Would you knock it off with the vague 'best mate of a distant cousin of mine' business?'
If you explain the circumstances, maybe your friends' situations will make sense. Otherwise, you are talking crap with broad statements like the quoted one.

I am American, am a dual citizen and so is everyone in my family except my poor father.
If anything, there's more permission for multiple citizenship now than there was 50 years ago.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Would you knock it off with the vague 'best mate of a distant cousin of mine' business?'
If you explain the circumstances, maybe your friends' situations will make sense. Otherwise, you are talking crap with broad statements like the quoted one.

I am American, am a dual citizen and so is everyone in my family except my poor father.
If anything, there's more permission for multiple citizenship now than there was 50 years ago.
Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship. Spain, I think, only allows it with the old Spanish speaking colonies of South America. Plenty of European countries simply do not permit dual citizenship.
It's nothing new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.