British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/citizenship-3-countries-allowed-696630/)

Mrs Kiwi Dec 11th 2010 11:42 pm

Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Hi guys

My Kiwi hubby currently has dual citizenship of NZ and the UK.

Is it legal for him to also become an Oz citizen and therefore be a citizen of 3 countries? Has anyone got any experience of having this happen? We don't know of anyone who has done this.

The reason we are thinking of getting his Oz citizenship is because it may potentially be a quicker & easier route for me as a Pom to get permanent Oz residency. I am currently in Oz on a temporary 5 year 461 visa as the spouse of a Kiwi.

If my hubby is an Oz citizen, I would be able to able for PR on the basis of marriage to an Oz citizen rather than go through the points system for PR, and from what I've read it will be a quicker & easier route.

Its just something we are thinking of - someone put the idea in my head, I don't even know if its possible.

What is the minimum time period a Kiwi needs to live in Oz for before they can apply for Oz citizenship?

Thanks for your help
Kelly

Peepster Dec 11th 2010 11:45 pm

Re: Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Yes indeedy. I have Kiwi, Oz and UK citizenship. Can't help with the rest of your questions though, sorry.

northernbird Dec 11th 2010 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi (Post 9035316)
Hi guys

Is it legal for him to also become an Oz citizen and therefore be a citizen of 3 countries? Has anyone got any experience of having this happen? We don't know of anyone who has done this.

The reason we are thinking of getting his Oz citizenship is because it may potentially be a quicker & easier route for me as a Pom to get permanent Oz residency. I am currently in Oz on a temporary 5 year 461 visa as the spouse of a Kiwi.

If my hubby is an Oz citizen, I would be able to able for PR on the basis of marriage to an Oz citizen rather than go through the points system for PR, and from what I've read it will be a quicker & easier route.

Its just something we are thinking of - someone put the idea in my head, I don't even know if its possible.

What is the minimum time period a Kiwi needs to live in Oz for before they can apply for Oz citizenship?

Thanks for your help
Kelly

My youngest daughter has Canadian, British and Australian so I can't see any reason why not. I think some Asian countries limit their citizenships but that isn't the case for you. I am sure someone with more knowledge such as JAJ will be along soon to confirm.

Amazulu Dec 11th 2010 11:58 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for your help
Kelly

I've got 3 - SA, UK, AU.

No worries.

scrubbedexpat020 Dec 12th 2010 12:57 am

Wife and kids are Aus, UK and Irish.

Anybody got 4?

bourbon-biscuit Dec 12th 2010 1:07 am

Kelly, I hate to scupper your plans but there is no route to Australian citizenship from NZ citizenship without obtaining Australian PR first through the normal channels.

ETA: Actually, not strictly true, depends how long you've been in Oz for

Is it necessary to apply for a permanent residence visa?
It is not necessary for a New Zealand citizen who holds an SCV to apply for or be granted permanent residence in Australia. The SCV allows a New Zealand citizen to remain and work in Australia lawfully as long as that person remains a New Zealand citizen.

In conjunction with the introduction of the new bilateral social security arrangement between Australia and New Zealand on 26 February 2001, the Australian Government also announced that New Zealand citizens who arrive in Australia on or after 27 February 2001 must apply for, and be granted, Australian permanent residence if they:

intend to access certain social security payments not covered by the bilateral agreement
obtain Australian citizenship or sponsor their family members for permanent residence.
Under transitional provisions, these changes do not affect New Zealand citizens who:

were in Australia on 26 February 2001 as SCV holders
were outside Australia on 26 February 2001, but were in Australia as an SCV holder for a total of 12 months in the 2 years prior to that date, and subsequently returned to Australia
have a certificate, issued under the Social Security Act 1991, stating that they were residing in Australia on a particular date. These certificates are no longer issued.
Australian citizenship

Applying for citizenship
New Zealand citizens who arrive on or after 27 February 2001 may be eligible for Australian citizenship if they have a permanent visa or meet the transitional provisions described above.

New Zealand citizens aged 16 and over applying for Australian citizenship should check the information on penal clearance certificates available from the department’s website.
See: Character and Penal Clearance Requirements

People who arrived in Australia before the age of 16 and have not resided in New Zealand are not required to provide character and penal clearances.

Further information is available on the department’s citizenship website.
See: www.citizenship.gov.au

shorrock Dec 12th 2010 3:00 am

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 9035377)
Wife and kids are Aus, UK and Irish.

Anybody got 4?

Yes my daughter has 4. USA, UK, Irish and Australian :)

baker4 Dec 12th 2010 3:24 am

I have NZ, Dutch and applying for OZ, think I can get Irish if I want to aswell...but that would just be greedy...:rofl:

Steve2009 Dec 12th 2010 4:21 am

I wish the Mrs's mum had claimed her Irish nationality, it would have made things a lot easier for us on the visa front. I'll be making sure we claim every nationality we're elligible for in the future. :) A mate had to claim Canadian citizenship for his newborn a few months back because it was quicker than getting an Irish or UK passport.

scrubbedexpat020 Dec 12th 2010 5:58 am

Originally Posted by shorrock (Post 9035481)
Yes my daughter has 4. USA, UK, Irish and Australian :)

Anybody got 5?:D

Irish is very good. Nice, neutral country and you can pass it down unlike UK that stops at first generation born abroad.

Steve2009 Dec 12th 2010 6:01 am

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 9035592)
Irish is very good. Nice, neutral country and you can pass it down unlike UK that stops at first generation born abroad.

Israeli and Russian spies like it. :)

Mrs Kiwi Dec 12th 2010 9:23 am

Bourbon-Biscuit, thanks for detailing the rules for me, I thought it sounded too easy to be true that my hubby could come into Oz as a Kiwi and go directly for citizenship and get me my PR.

Ah well, I've just told him hes lost his usefulness and I'm gonna go find me an Ozzie hubby!!! :D

Loved all the stories of people with 3 or 4 citizenships, we're a varied and interesting lot!

Weebie Dec 12th 2010 10:26 am

Its much harder to do now. The US changed laws recently that if you are a Dual citizen with the US and acquire another passport you automatically lose your US Citizenship. As long as your in the Canadian, UK, Ireland, Aus, NZ barrier I think its ok.

There are heasp of other things you can lose your US Citizenship for as well. Many people have lost it without realising it.

Rete Dec 12th 2010 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Weebie (Post 9035923)
Its much harder to do now. The US changed laws recently that if you are a Dual citizen with the US and acquire another passport you automatically lose your US Citizenship. As long as your in the Canadian, UK, Ireland, Aus, NZ barrier I think its ok.

There are heasp of other things you can lose your US Citizenship for as well. Many people have lost it without realising it.

For those that are panicing at this erroneous post, let me put your minds at ease.

The United States has not changed laws that if you become a citizen of another country you lose your US Citizenship.

I'm a US Citizen and a mod on the US immigration groups and have been a mod there for over 13 years. My husband is a dual national with both US and Canadian Citizenship. No he has no problems with holding both.

My advice Weebie is check your facts before you post.

Tr1boy Dec 12th 2010 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9036156)
For those that are panicing at this erroneous post, let me put your minds at ease.

The United States has not changed laws that if you become a citizen of another country you lose your US Citizenship.

I'm a US Citizen and a mod on the US immigration groups and have been a mod there for over 13 years. My husband is a dual national with both US and Canadian Citizenship. No he has no problems with holding both.

My advice Weebie is check your facts before you post

My advice would be to re-read the post and have another go.:thumbup: