Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:37 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Originally Posted by meauxna
Would you knock it off with the vague 'best mate of a distant cousin of mine' business?'
If you explain the circumstances, maybe your friends' situations will make sense. Otherwise, you are talking crap with broad statements like the quoted one.

I am American, am a dual citizen and so is everyone in my family except my poor father.
If anything, there's more permission for multiple citizenship now than there was 50 years ago.
Its different if you are born there. If you've acquired one Like I have then you'll run potnetially into issues.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:44 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Its different if you are born there. If you've acquired one Like I have then you'll run potnetially into issues.
No it's not. My son, grandson and brother all have dual citizenship and only my grandson was born in the US. No issues with obtaining US citizenship for any of them.

You know, you can really tell it's school holidays. Do your parents know you're spending all this time in front of the computer?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:48 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No it's not. My son, grandson and brother all have dual citizenship and only my grandson was born in the US. No issues with obtaining US citizenship for any of them.

You know, you can really tell it's school holidays. Do your parents know you're spending all this time in front of the computer?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship. Spain, I think, only allows it with the old Spanish speaking colonies of South America. Plenty of European countries simply do not permit dual citizenship.
It's nothing new.
With Germany and some other countries, there are steps the person has to take before acquiring another citizenship, but this is by no means a general rule for all of the EU (the Dutch are another tricky one).

Again, you are very vague. Born where? I have asked you at least 4 times for a specific example I think. Anyway, my husband is UK and has acquired US. I pay extremely close attention to this topic and there are no new laws about it. It's like trying to discuss something with the wind.. there is nothing really to discuss with you, but you should deepen your knowledge before making vague posts to upset others with non-facts.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:00 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

With Germany and some other countries, there are steps the person has to take before acquiring another citizenship, but this is by no means a general rule for all of the EU (the Dutch are another tricky one).

Again, you are very vague. Born where? I have asked you at least 4 times for a specific example I think. Anyway, my husband is UK and has acquired US. I pay extremely close attention to this topic and there are no new laws about it. It's like trying to discuss something with the wind.. there is nothing really to discuss with you, but you should deepen your knowledge before making vague posts to upset others with non-facts.
I wouldn't bother if I were you, Weebie is quite good at making statements with absolutely no statistical backup whatsoever. Expect the insults to start shortly as this is usually what happens when he/she is challenged.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:07 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Based my comments on the German guy I work with and a Dane as well, who both refuse to take out Australian citizenship, as they both say they would have to forsake their native citizenship, something neither are prepared to do.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

Based my comments on the German guy I work with and a Dane as well, who both refuse to take out Australian citizenship, as they both say they would have to forsake their native citizenship, something neither are prepared to do.
I wouldn't either. I love Australia and am proud to be a citizen but if it was at the cost of my British I wouldn't have done it.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernbird
I wouldn't either. I love Australia and am proud to be a citizen but if it was at the cost of my British I wouldn't have done it.
Ditto. Not a problem either of us face but I'm with you on that one, I would retain my British citizenship as well, if I had to make the choice.

I become an Aussie citizen this Australia day.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

Ditto. Not a problem either of us face but I'm with you on that one, I would retain my British citizenship as well, if I had to make the choice.

I become an Aussie citizen this Australia day.
Congratulations, that will be my 1 year anniversary. We did ours last Australia Day. Enjoy the day
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

German = he can keep German citizenship provided he gets a "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung" from the German authorities before applying for Australian citizenship. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beibehaltungsgenehmigung.

Danish = you're right, as far as I know he would lose Danish citizenship, but other Danish migrants to Australia, who see Australia as their home and future, have not been deterred by this.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
German = he can keep German citizenship provided he gets a "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung" from the German authorities before applying for Australian citizenship. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beibehaltungsgenehmigung.

Danish = you're right, as far as I know he would lose Danish citizenship, but other Danish migrants to Australia, who see Australia as their home and future, have not been deterred by this.
Well he either isn't aware of that or, for whatever reason, can't be bothered with it. My German is non-existant so I've no idea what anything on that site says. Perhaps its a complicated process?

The Danish guy has been here for 30yrs but still won't surrender his Danish citizenship. I think his plan is, even after all this time away, to eventually retire back to Denmark.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Well he either isn't aware of that or, for whatever reason, can't be bothered with it.
Don't you see how that is different from 'it is not allowed'?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:02 am
Account Closed

Don't you see how that is different from 'it is not allowed'?
Sure, but I based what I said on what he had told me, that is was just not allowed for Germans to hold dual citizenship. From what JAJ said the Danish bloke is correct and the German isn't.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:46 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
I wouldn't bother if I were you, Weebie is quite good at making statements with absolutely no statistical backup whatsoever. Expect the insults to start shortly as this is usually what happens when he/she is challenged.
Some of us have massive mortgages and have to work to pay the bills to live in Perth. Becoz in this city if your not living in the Western Subs you are a ****ing nobody and the locals will treat you like shit.

Its clearly stated on the US website what you can lose your us citizenship for. If you are educated you would have the skills to look it up yourselves.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:49 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Some of us have massive mortgages and have to work to pay the bills to live in Perth. Becoz in this city if your not living in the Western Subs you are a ****ing nobody and the locals will treat you like shit.

Its clearly stated on the US website what you can lose your us citizenship for. If you are educated you would have the skills to look it up yourselves.
I don't live in the Western Subs and have never been treated like shit. Have your parents gone out and left the childlock off the laptop. We have substantial mortgage and work hard to pay it and don't judge people on where they live. I think the general consensus is that you are a prize divvy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.