Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:08 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Bourbon-Biscuit, thanks for detailing the rules for me, I thought it sounded too easy to be true that my hubby could come into Oz as a Kiwi and go directly for citizenship and get me my PR.
Hi Kelly

I am amazed at the number of New Zealanders I've met here who think that they can get Oz citizenship based on them being a New Zealander. Have they all been told "the big lie" or something before they leave NZ? .

One NZ lady at my work told me her sister was going to sponsor her for Australian Citizenship. When I pointed out that it was not actually possible for anyone to sponsor anyone else for Australian Citizenship, you had to be a permanent resident first, and as she had only been here since 2006 she was a temporary resident now and would have to get PR for at least 4 years before she could be a citizen she was absolutely amazed.

Unfortunately you and hubbie are in exactly the same position as far as PR goes - you are both Temporary residents, it's just his TR is perpetual whereas yours has to be renewed. So you should apply for PR based on which one of you has the easiest path.

In answer to your first question - yes, my kids will have Oz, NZ and UK citizenship this time next year. My wife probably won't even though she is eligible because "as a Kiwi, there's no way she would ever want to become Australian"

BB
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Originally Posted by Weebie
There are heasp of other things you can lose your US Citizenship for as well. Many people have lost it without realising it.

I neglected to respond to this earlier. You can lost you US citizenship if found to have lied on any of your US immigration paperwork. You cannot lose your USC if you commit a criminal act or take citizenship and live the rest of your life in another country. You cannot lose your USC if you become a citizen of another country or had citizenship in another country before naturalization.

Once you are a USC, it is very difficult to have your naturalization revoked.

Please give official examples of those "heaps of other things you can lose your US Citizenship for as well."

Last edited by Rete; Dec 12th 2010 at 7:50 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
For those that are panicing at this erroneous post, let me put your minds at ease.

The United States has not changed laws that if you become a citizen of another country you lose your US Citizenship.

I'm a US Citizen and a mod on the US immigration groups and have been a mod there for over 13 years. My husband is a dual national with both US and Canadian Citizenship. No he has no problems with holding both.

My advice Weebie is check your facts before you post.
Originally Posted by Tr1boy
My advice would be to re-read the post and have another go.
Perhaps it should have read "The US has not changed laws to say that you will lose your US Citizenship if you become a Citizen of another country" Assume this is what you meant.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Perhaps it should have read "The US has not changed laws to say that you will lose your US Citizenship if you become a Citizen of another country" Assume this is what you meant.
*face-palm* have another go
Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shorrock
Yes my daughter has 4. USA, UK, Irish and Australian
Now thats having the world at your feet.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:39 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

:face palm:

My advice is well I have no advice...you're a muppet! And when you do finally realise what I've said go and check and you'll find that there are many things you can lose it for these days.

Last edited by Weebie; Dec 12th 2010 at 10:44 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

My advice is well I have no advice...you're a muppet! And when you do finally realise what I've said go and check and you'll find that there are many things you can lose it for these days.
And gain it. I heard they're planning to give Julian Assange US citizenship so that they can charge him with treason
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by baker4
I have NZ, Dutch and applying for OZ, think I can get Irish if I want to aswell...but that would just be greedy...
Gaining Oz citizenship (or indeed citizenship of any other country) will mean you lose your Dutch citizenship. Unless your NZ citizenship was by birth (not descent or naturalisation) you may have already lost your Dutch - which order did you obtain them?
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:46 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Theres a whole range of ways you can lose your US Citizenship if your a dual citizen. Just came back from the states and always have the dual citizenship chat with border guards as I'm in Australia. They tell me that every day people are entgering SF realising they are no longer a citizen. Gave me a nice chat on what will maek me lose my citizenship very helpful.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Buzzy,

I know, I know, it sounded too good to be true! I think a lot of older Kiwi's have been brought up with family & friends crossing the ditch to Oz very easily under the old immigration rules, and chinese whispers have gradually translated into a lot of Kiwis automaticaly thinking they can get Oz citizenship etc...

I think you've got your PR now, haven't you? What route did you go down?

Good on your Kiwi wife for saying she'll never take Oz citizenship, I think my hubby would definitely agree!!

How about you get your Oz citizenship in a few years when you're eligible, then I marry you and get my PR ...... oh damn, I forgot, thats bigamy. !!!

Great news on your kids having tri - citizenship this time next year, it will be a symbol of how far you've come in your lengthy immigration journey, like us. Great to hear it.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:22 pm
Banned

My mate just told me his sister whos been in Perth all her life but never got Aussie citizenship can't get her newly born daughter Aussie citizenship. Personally I think theres no point in being an Australian citizen in Australia if you are a kiwi unless you want to bum and claim benefits.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Citizenship of 3 countries - is this allowed?

Thanks Buzzy,

I know, I know, it sounded too good to be true! I think a lot of older Kiwi's have been brought up with family & friends crossing the ditch to Oz very easily under the old immigration rules, and chinese whispers have gradually translated into a lot of Kiwis automaticaly thinking they can get Oz citizenship etc...
New Zealand's biggest export to Australia - population!

I think you've got your PR now, haven't you? What route did you go down?
Skilled 176. The advantage the NZ aspect gave me was an extra 10 points for having worked in Australia for over a year.

Good on your Kiwi wife for saying she'll never take Oz citizenship, I think my hubby would definitely agree!!
I helped my wife's great Uncle fill in his NZ passport application last week - he's 84 and has lived in Australia over 60 years and would NEVER become Australian. Personally I think this attitude is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

How about you get your Oz citizenship in a few years when you're eligible, then I marry you and get my PR ...... oh damn, I forgot, thats bigamy. !!!
This is the first such proposal I have received on BE. I just need one more as bigamy is illegal, however the law says nothing about trigamy

Great news on your kids having tri - citizenship this time next year, it will be a symbol of how far you've come in your lengthy immigration journey, like us. Great to hear it.
Despite all their passport collection, the kid will always consider themselves as "Australian, born in England". I think that sums it up very well.

BB
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a whole range of ways you can lose your US Citizenship if your a dual citizen. Just came back from the states and always have the dual citizenship chat with border guards as I'm in Australia. They tell me that every day people are entgering SF realising they are no longer a citizen. Gave me a nice chat on what will maek me lose my citizenship very helpful.
Then maybe you can share these "ways" with the rest of us? And please don't call people names when they are trying to help.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a whole range of ways you can lose your US Citizenship if your a dual citizen.
There isn't.

The most common, which ain't that common are personally renouncing it because you're applying for citizenship of another country that doesn't allow it or you seek to gain a security clearance of that other country. Lying on your US citizenship application and thus getting it stripped, or travelling to countries non-grata - Cuba, unless you happen to also be Cuban.

There are many dumb things US citizens don't realise they are required to do such as filing taxes to the IRS when abroad, not claiming assets over $10K abroad, if they're male and aged between 18-26 to file for selective service and not using a US passport to travel to/from the US.

The US unfortunately doesn't strip citizenship for being stupid.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 1:22 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I am amazed at the number of New Zealanders I've met here who think that they can get Oz citizenship based on them being a New Zealander. Have they all been told "the big lie" or something before they leave NZ? .
It's probably because an Australian citizen or Australian PR can, if they meet the normal character and residency (as in been resident in NZ for the right amount of time) obtain NZ citizenship. It's understandable then that Kiwi citizens might assume they get the same deal in Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.