Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which cheap car would you buy?

Which cheap car would you buy?

Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:24 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which cheap car would you buy?

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Hi there,

So, if you had to buy a cheap car, let's say $5000 or less, what would you buy?

This would only be used for lets say, 6 to 12 months. As an example, I had in mind something like a Toyota Starlet of the 90s. Then there are the Hyundai, KIA, little fords, olds fords/holden......

The most important points would be:

1. Still in fairly good/safe condition
2. Not very very high mileage
3. Reliable
4. Cheap parts (just in case!)

So, what would you get?

Cheers
B!K3R
I'd go for Toyota Echo.
Great cars, cheap to run, timing chain (not belt) meaning cheap to service. I had one and got about 600km's per tank. Oil change a couple of times a year and that's about it.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yes, I was just about to say that about my old Barina being a Susuki Swift in disguise

Same as my Ford Laser, which is actually a Mazda Astini
My Saab - 270 dollars on EPay - is a Porsche in disguise.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeyalan
I personally wouldn't buy anything smaller for the age as safety standards aren't as good and australians can't drive.
Shouldn't that be -

'The "Ozzies" can't drive'? Verb should agree with noun...or in this case, sensationalism should match the rest of the sentence...

(I don't actually have an opinion on who can drive and who can't - it varies).
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
I'd go for Toyota Echo.
Great cars, cheap to run, timing chain (not belt) meaning cheap to service. I had one and got about 600km's per tank. Oil change a couple of times a year and that's about it.
Yeah, I love the Echo, its seems to be a good car from the reviews!

Thanks guys (all of you!) for your feedback

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Yeah, I love the Echo, its seems to be a good car from the reviews!

Thanks guys (all of you!) for your feedback

Cheers
B!K3R
Good luck buying something, and don't forget to haggle. I got $1 and half k knocked off the price of my Laser. I was in the showroom for over an hour and half, but I wasn't budging and in the end he gave in.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul & June
I love my Getz.
Its our second car that I use to drive to work.
Was it the best little car in 2005.
I will buy another one I reckon.
Getz has won 16 awards in Australia since 2003 from various motor mags and organisations for best small car / most economical etc.

Garage owner I know says there's nothing to beat it for reliability in it's class. I guess that's one of the reasons the rental firms have it.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:12 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeyalan
I personally wouldn't buy anything smaller for the age as safety standards aren't as good and australians can't drive.
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Shouldn't that be -

'The "Ozzies" can't drive'? Verb should agree with noun...
How did the verb ("can't drive") not agree with the noun ("australians") in that sentence?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
How did the verb ("can't drive") not agree with the noun ("australians") in that sentence?
I was joking (punning?) about the way sensationalists on this forum love to say things like

"The Aussies can't do this. They don't do that". To me it sounds like a bunch of men or women in a works canteen having a natter.

I'm sure that some Australians can actually drive - infact I know a lot of drivers that are actually, technically, really good drivers.

I've had me fun..
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:36 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Which cheap car would you buy?

Can't go wrong with a Toyota or a Mazda, but Mitsubishi is a good alternative if you're on a tight budget.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:47 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I was joking (punning?)
Sorry, it went right over my head, I am afraid.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Sorry, it went right over my head, I am afraid.
It's OK - it's around this time that I pick on people. Busy at work again.