Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which cheap car would you buy?

Which cheap car would you buy?

Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:29 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which cheap car would you buy?

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
They would have sold it on too, the bastards.
They were filling out the forms for it as I was picking up the keys for my nice shiny new one!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Hi there,

So, if you had to buy a cheap car, let's say $5000 or less, what would you buy?

This would only be used for lets say, 6 to 12 months. As an example, I had in mind something like a Toyota Starlet of the 90s. Then there are the Hyundai, KIA, little fords, olds fords/holden......

The most important points would be:

1. Still in fairly good/safe condition
2. Not very very high mileage
3. Reliable
4. Cheap parts (just in case!)

So, what would you get?

Cheers
B!K3R
Toyota Corolla
Hyundai Getz
Ford Focus
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Thanks Officer Dibble. RRA, you mean this?

Maybe I should stay without a car for a few months then and buy a decent one....

Have a feeling it would be a waste of money to spend $5000 on an old car...

Cheers
B!K3R
Yep. Each states got their own version of it but its a must have with any used car. My RAA cards had a good thrashing over the years.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Toyota Corolla
Hyundai Getz
Ford Focus
Dunno if you'd get a Focus or Getz for $5000.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:35 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno if you'd get a Focus or Getz for $5000.
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...carhome&Nne=15
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:35 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Each states got their own version of it but its a must have with any used car. My RAA cards had a good thrashing over the years.
I was on first name terms with my local RACQ guy at the end of the Falcons life!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fair enough, you found some. Personally, I think cars like the Getz are disposables and I wouldnt touch a secondhand one or recommend anyone else buy one.

Each to their own blah blah blah ......
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kelli28
I was on first name terms with my local RACQ guy at the end of the Falcons life!
Why doesnt that surprise me?
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:42 pm

Why doesnt that surprise me?
What's that supposed to mean???
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Fair enough, you found some. Personally, I think cars like the Getz are disposables and I wouldnt touch a secondhand one or recommend anyone else buy one.

Each to their own blah blah blah ......
Neither would I but this guy only has $5k and I would not touch useless American cars like Commodore or Falcon.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kelli28
What's that supposed to mean???
Erm, that you always drive into things?
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:48 pm

Erm, that you always drive into things?
Oh ok, but I don't anymore!
I'm looking after my new car & it's so cute I may just have to give it a name.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Auch! All over 150k...

OK, its clear..I'll have to raise the bar to get a decent box!

For double the price, it seems there are a few decent ones. Guess I'll wait....

Cheers
B!K3R

Last edited by B1K3R; Oct 11th 2010 at 1:59 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you buy a ford. The thing about a ford is that the body work can tend to rust on older models, however many ford cars having cracking little engine's in them.

I had a Ford Fiesta 2001 model in the UK. When I bought this car it has 23,000 miles on the clock, when it went it had 125,000 miles on the clock. This car went all over Ireland, Lands End, Inverness and everywhere in between and never broke down. The wheel arches started to rust a little and small parts needed replacing, but nothing unusual with a ford of that age. That little car just wanted to run and run.

Maybe not the most comfortable cars in the world and I wouldn't suggest buying an old ford for the long term but as a cheap short term option there are some good ones out there.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jon77
I would suggest you buy a ford. The thing about a ford is that the body work can tend to rust on older models, however many ford cars having cracking little engine's in them.

I had a Ford Fiesta 2001 model in the UK. When I bought this car it has 23,000 miles on the clock, when it went it had 125,000 miles on the clock. This car went all over Ireland, Lands End, Inverness and everywhere in between and never broke down. The wheel arches started to rust a little and small parts needed replacing, but nothing unusual with a ford of that age. That little car just wanted to run and run.

Maybe not the most comfortable cars in the world and I wouldn't suggest buying an old ford for the long term but as a cheap short term option there are some good ones out there.
Thanks Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.