British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Which cheap car would you buy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cheap-car-would-you-buy-689082/)

B1K3R Oct 11th 2010 10:22 am

Which cheap car would you buy?

Hi there,

So, if you had to buy a cheap car, let's say $5000 or less, what would you buy?

This would only be used for lets say, 6 to 12 months. As an example, I had in mind something like a Toyota Starlet of the 90s. Then there are the Hyundai, KIA, little fords, olds fords/holden......

The most important points would be:

1. Still in fairly good/safe condition
2. Not very very high mileage
3. Reliable
4. Cheap parts (just in case!)

So, what would you get? :D

Cheers
B!K3R

Wendy Oct 11th 2010 10:28 am

Re: Which cheap car would you buy?

When I had this choice a few years back I went for a Holden Barina. I only wanted something small and economical - mostly to learn to drive in. I ended up getting a 1992 model, with only 90k on the clock, pretty good bodywork and brand new tyres for $4k.

I still have it now, although it needs an oil change and some rego :D I am looking at selling it, as I now have a Ford Laser - another 'older' car, but very reliable. Cost me more than $5k though :D

B1K3R Oct 11th 2010 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 8910690)
When I had this choice a few years back I went for a Holden Barina. I only wanted something small and economical - mostly to learn to drive in. I ended up getting a 1992 model, with only 90k on the clock, pretty good bodywork and brand new tyres for $4k.

I still have it now, although it needs an oil change and some rego :D I am looking at selling it, as I now have a Ford Laser - another 'older' car, but very reliable. Cost me more than $5k though :D

Thanks Wendy! So, the Barina...is it a good reliable car?

Cheers
B!K3R

Wendy Oct 11th 2010 10:35 am

Originally Posted by B1K3R (Post 8910700)
Thanks Wendy! So, the Barina...is it a good reliable car?

Cheers
B!K3R

I didn't have any trouble with mine at all. Out of 6 or 7 services that it has had, the only work I had done was having the brake pads replaced :D

spartacus Oct 11th 2010 11:11 am

Originally Posted by B1K3R (Post 8910670)
Hi there,

This would only be used for lets say, 6 to 12 months. As an example, I had in mind something like a Toyota Starlet of the 90s. Then there are the Hyundai, KIA, little fords, olds fords/holden......

3. Reliable

Cheers
B!K3R

Number 2 may be an issue whatever car you go for.

If I was after a small car I'd go for a Diahatsu Charade / Sirion, Japanese built, very reliable, economical.

Steve2009 Oct 11th 2010 11:35 am

I'd say forget the small requirement and buy a Holden Commodore.

spartacus Oct 11th 2010 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Steve2009 (Post 8910835)
I'd say forget the small requirement and buy a Holden Commodore.

To be fair I'd probably say the same, add to the list Ford Falcon, Mitsubishi Magna and Toyota Camry.

jimbo_d Oct 11th 2010 11:46 am

Get the Toyota, it will last longer than the rest no matter what bad press they've had recently. If not that then something else Japanese, old Fords and Holdens are heaps of junk, so are old Hyundais.

B1K3R Oct 11th 2010 12:00 pm

Thanks guys! :D

What would be the acceptable maximum mileage? I know it depends on lots of things (like car serviced regularly, if it has been trashed etc)....so, assuming it has been serviced and not thrashed....

Cheers
B!K3R

Officer Dibble Oct 11th 2010 12:05 pm

Hi there,

3. Reliable

Cheers
B!K3R

Toyota Camry everytime. I'd swear by them followed closely by the Corolla.

Dont forget to sign up with RAA or your states equvalent.

Officer Dibble Oct 11th 2010 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by B1K3R (Post 8910902)
Thanks guys! :D

What would be the acceptable maximum mileage? I know it depends on lots of things (like car serviced regularly, if it has been trashed etc)....so, assuming it has been serviced and not thrashed....

Cheers
B!K3R

You'd be pretty lucky to be much below 200,000kms for that price. Dont be fooled into thinking low kms mean anything.

(All according to my personal experience)

Perthine Oct 11th 2010 12:10 pm

Hi there,

3. Reliable

Cheers
B!K3R

Don't buy a Ssangyong! Not easy to get parts and also expensive, even in the city. Outside the city it would be nearly impossible to get someone to fix this car.

Buy a car that is very common here like Toyoda and/or Holden, cheaper car repair. Especialy, if you are going to buy something for about $5,000.

B1K3R Oct 11th 2010 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble (Post 8910915)
You'd be pretty lucky to be much below 200,000kms for that price. Dont be fooled into thinking low kms mean anything.

(All according to my personal experience)

Thanks Officer Dibble. RRA, you mean this?

Maybe I should stay without a car for a few months then and buy a decent one....

Have a feeling it would be a waste of money to spend $5000 on an old car...

Cheers
B!K3R

Kelli28 Oct 11th 2010 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by B1K3R (Post 8910932)
Thanks Officer Dibble. RRA, you mean this?

Maybe I should stay without a car for a few months then and buy a decent one....

Have a feeling it would be a waste of money to spend $5000 on an old car...

Cheers
B!K3R

Be warned there is not much public transport IMO you will need a car.

I had a Ford Falcon when I first arrived cost around 1k and lasted me 18mth (it would have lasted longer if I stopped knocking into things with it), Parts can be picked up everywhere and really cheap.

I just got rid of my 4x4 Holden as it needed a new gearbox and I couldn't find one anywhere buying a new one from Holden was going to cost as much as the car was worth, so I kept quiet and took it to the garage for a trade in. :eek::rofl:

Officer Dibble Oct 11th 2010 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by kelli28 (Post 8911039)
Be warned there is not much public transport IMO you will need a car.

I had a Ford Falcon when I first arrived cost around 1k and lasted me 18mth (it would have lasted longer if I stopped knocking into things with it), Parts can be picked up everywhere and really cheap.

I just got rid of my 4x4 Holden as it needed a new gearbox and I couldn't find one anywhere buying a new one from Holden was going to cost as much as the car was worth, so I kept quiet and took it to the garage for a trade in. :eek::rofl:

They would have sold it on too, the bastards.