Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which cheap car would you buy?

Which cheap car would you buy?

Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of
Default Which cheap car would you buy?

Hi there,

So, if you had to buy a cheap car, let's say $5000 or less, what would you buy?

This would only be used for lets say, 6 to 12 months. As an example, I had in mind something like a Toyota Starlet of the 90s. Then there are the Hyundai, KIA, little fords, olds fords/holden......

The most important points would be:

1. Still in fairly good/safe condition
2. Not very very high mileage
3. Reliable
4. Cheap parts (just in case!)

So, what would you get?

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which cheap car would you buy?

When I had this choice a few years back I went for a Holden Barina. I only wanted something small and economical - mostly to learn to drive in. I ended up getting a 1992 model, with only 90k on the clock, pretty good bodywork and brand new tyres for $4k.

I still have it now, although it needs an oil change and some rego I am looking at selling it, as I now have a Ford Laser - another 'older' car, but very reliable. Cost me more than $5k though
Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
When I had this choice a few years back I went for a Holden Barina. I only wanted something small and economical - mostly to learn to drive in. I ended up getting a 1992 model, with only 90k on the clock, pretty good bodywork and brand new tyres for $4k.

I still have it now, although it needs an oil change and some rego I am looking at selling it, as I now have a Ford Laser - another 'older' car, but very reliable. Cost me more than $5k though
Thanks Wendy! So, the Barina...is it a good reliable car?

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Thanks Wendy! So, the Barina...is it a good reliable car?

Cheers
B!K3R
I didn't have any trouble with mine at all. Out of 6 or 7 services that it has had, the only work I had done was having the brake pads replaced
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

This would only be used for lets say, 6 to 12 months. As an example, I had in mind something like a Toyota Starlet of the 90s. Then there are the Hyundai, KIA, little fords, olds fords/holden......

3. Reliable

So, what would you get?

Cheers
B!K3R
Number 2 may be an issue whatever car you go for.

If I was after a small car I'd go for a Diahatsu Charade / Sirion, Japanese built, very reliable, economical.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I'd say forget the small requirement and buy a Holden Commodore.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I'd say forget the small requirement and buy a Holden Commodore.
To be fair I'd probably say the same, add to the list Ford Falcon, Mitsubishi Magna and Toyota Camry.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Get the Toyota, it will last longer than the rest no matter what bad press they've had recently. If not that then something else Japanese, old Fords and Holdens are heaps of junk, so are old Hyundais.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys!

What would be the acceptable maximum mileage? I know it depends on lots of things (like car serviced regularly, if it has been trashed etc)....so, assuming it has been serviced and not thrashed....

Cheers
B!K3R

Last edited by B1K3R; Oct 11th 2010 at 12:03 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

3. Reliable

So, what would you get?

Cheers
B!K3R
Toyota Camry everytime. I'd swear by them followed closely by the Corolla.

Dont forget to sign up with RAA or your states equvalent.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys!

What would be the acceptable maximum mileage? I know it depends on lots of things (like car serviced regularly, if it has been trashed etc)....so, assuming it has been serviced and not thrashed....

Cheers
B!K3R
You'd be pretty lucky to be much below 200,000kms for that price. Dont be fooled into thinking low kms mean anything.

(All according to my personal experience)
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Hi there,

3. Reliable

So, what would you get?

Cheers
B!K3R
Don't buy a Ssangyong! Not easy to get parts and also expensive, even in the city. Outside the city it would be nearly impossible to get someone to fix this car.

Buy a car that is very common here like Toyoda and/or Holden, cheaper car repair. Especialy, if you are going to buy something for about $5,000.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
You'd be pretty lucky to be much below 200,000kms for that price. Dont be fooled into thinking low kms mean anything.

(All according to my personal experience)
Thanks Officer Dibble. RRA, you mean this?

Maybe I should stay without a car for a few months then and buy a decent one....

Have a feeling it would be a waste of money to spend $5000 on an old car...

Cheers
B!K3R

Last edited by B1K3R; Oct 11th 2010 at 12:24 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:25 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Officer Dibble. RRA, you mean this?

Maybe I should stay without a car for a few months then and buy a decent one....

Have a feeling it would be a waste of money to spend $5000 on an old car...

Cheers
B!K3R
Be warned there is not much public transport IMO you will need a car.

I had a Ford Falcon when I first arrived cost around 1k and lasted me 18mth (it would have lasted longer if I stopped knocking into things with it), Parts can be picked up everywhere and really cheap.

I just got rid of my 4x4 Holden as it needed a new gearbox and I couldn't find one anywhere buying a new one from Holden was going to cost as much as the car was worth, so I kept quiet and took it to the garage for a trade in.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kelli28
Be warned there is not much public transport IMO you will need a car.

I had a Ford Falcon when I first arrived cost around 1k and lasted me 18mth (it would have lasted longer if I stopped knocking into things with it), Parts can be picked up everywhere and really cheap.

I just got rid of my 4x4 Holden as it needed a new gearbox and I couldn't find one anywhere buying a new one from Holden was going to cost as much as the car was worth, so I kept quiet and took it to the garage for a trade in.
They would have sold it on too, the bastards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.