Cane Toads

Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:02 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cane Toads

Originally Posted by Welsh Jeff
Frog watch i've been doing that ever since my daughter started dating a French fella!
Yeah? How's that been working for ya, Jeff?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welsh Jeff
Frog watch i've been doing that ever since my daughter started dating a French fella!
Aaah French . . . . the language of love!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:59 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Aaah French . . . . the language of love!
Anyone who thinks that killing a few cane toads is going to have any impact on their population is in cloud cuckoo land. I evicted one from the house the other day. Let it go into the garden. I could have killed it, but there are about a million in the surrounding square km and one of them would simply move in to replace it.

Same thing with cats, rabbits etc. They are now part of the Australian fauna and there is nothing anyone can do about it. The original Australian fauna either competes or goes extinct. 'Twas ever thus.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Burbage
Anyone who thinks that killing a few cane toads is going to have any impact on their population is in cloud cuckoo land. I evicted one from the house the other day. Let it go into the garden. I could have killed it, but there are about a million in the surrounding square km and one of them would simply move in to replace it.

Same thing with cats, rabbits etc. They are now part of the Australian fauna and there is nothing anyone can do about it. The original Australian fauna either competes or goes extinct. 'Twas ever thus.
Exactly my point re finding the eggs. That's what you need to concentrate on if you have any chance of getting the numbers down.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:03 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Exactly my point re finding the eggs. That's what you need to concentrate on if you have any chance of getting the numbers down.
So you think you can find every pool of water in north Queensland and NT during the wet season? Good luck.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:16 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't referring to you specifically, I said "those who believe in the rights of all animals to live". I also made no reference to any torture of animlas never mind whether or not people who do not believe in torture are or are not less concerned about indigenous wildlife. I have therefore not reached the conclusion you imply.

Further I made no comment on the relative benefits of the type of death on the environment. Clealry there is no actual differnence on the environmental impact (beyond the individual toad) on how a toad is killed.

My point was simply that more people are willing to kill toads by means other than freezing; that clealry leads to more toads being killed than would otherwise.

I suggest if you want to make an argument that you stick to debating points actually made rather than choosing to argue about something that wasn't stated.

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
How odd you think that just because I believe in not torturing animals and giving them a better death, makes me less concerned for the indigenous wildlife.

How have you reached that conclusion exactly?

And your second point, how will collecting 100 toads a night and putting them to death through kinder methods do less than someone willing to bash 100 toads over the head? Can you tell me exactly what advantage to animal welfare this has? I'm struggling to see your point so perhaps you can enlighten us all.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:24 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question: Who would win a fight between a cane toad and a huntsman spider
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:30 pm
Krunchynutt

krunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jayr
I wasn't referring to you specifically, I said "those who believe in the rights of all animals to live". I also made no reference to any torture of animlas never mind whether or not people who do not believe in torture are or are not less concerned about indigenous wildlife. I have therefore not reached the conclusion you imply.

Further I made no comment on the relative benefits of the type of death on the environment. Clealry there is no actual differnence on the environmental impact (beyond the individual toad) on how a toad is killed.

My point was simply that more people are willing to kill toads by means other than freezing; that clealry leads to more toads being killed than would otherwise.

I suggest if you want to make an argument that you stick to debating points actually made rather than choosing to argue about something that wasn't stated.
I would not bother with this one m8, your gonna end up in a massive argument with her, have you seen the previous posts. She is a toad loving activist, she seems to think a good freezing is a better death than an instant clubbing with a no3 wood.

Salt sounds good but it would cost a fortune to dispose of the amount a good golf club can handle a club would never wear out if used correctly.

Plus you can save on the cost of golf balls, lol.........
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Burbage
So you think you can find every pool of water in north Queensland and NT during the wet season? Good luck.
Exactly my point B! I agree with you! It's just not possible and I too think the toads are here to stay.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by krunchynutt
I would not bother with this one m8, your gonna end up in a massive argument with her, have you seen the previous posts. She is a toad loving activist, she seems to think a good freezing is a better death than an instant clubbing with a no3 wood.

Salt sounds good but it would cost a fortune to dispose of the amount a good golf club can handle a club would never wear out if used correctly.

Plus you can save on the cost of golf balls, lol.........
Ah, the old, 'I've lost the argument but my ego is too massive to acknowledge the points and therefore I'll take the piss so that I can save face'.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Quick question: Who would win a fight between a cane toad and a huntsman spider
A cane toad probably but I truly don't know if they could be bothered.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:55 pm

I wasn't referring to you specifically, I said "those who believe in the rights of all animals to live".
I think you'll find there isn't anyone in this thread who's standing on that point.

Which makes no difference to the environment one iota. Yet kids still think it's a sport, as do some adults.

But you haven't answered the question I asked, which came directly from your post and therefore was stated.
You've just avoided them totally and called into question my arguing ability, which is all very well and good but leaves things unanswered.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:16 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Just filled our pool up and waiting for everything to settle and so far we have rescued 5 toads in 12 hours.

We have looked on the internet and they are Cane Toads which are supposed to be killed - what is the most humanitarian way? We could put a severely injured animal out of its misery but to kill a perfectly healthy animal is something I really have a problem with.

Is there anyway to prevent other small creatures getting in the pool which won't make the pool fencing look worse than it will do when installed. We still have temporary fencing up at the moment.

Any suggestions appreciated.
I heard about a year ago that Coopers (so possibly SA only) were sponsoring handing in of cane toads to be killed humanely. They were offering 1 beer per toad handed in. Didn't hear how well the project is running / ran though.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by NJJ
I heard about a year ago that Coopers (so possibly SA only) were sponsoring handing in of cane toads to be killed humanely. They were offering 1 beer per toad handed in. Didn't hear how well the project is running / ran though.
I imagine Coopers didn't lose much.

Cane toads aren't in South Australia. They don't go south of the border.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:47 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cane toads are a serial pest, they are top of their food chain and so displace indigineous wildlife. They may also kill your dog/cat.

You may have qulams about killing them but by rescuing them you are allowing them to kill wildlife that is naturally here.

Apaprently catching then freezing is a humane way to kill them.

I found that placing a lot of table salt on their back is very effective, others recommend Domestos (and presumably bleach), which may be less humane but as I suggest, you will be doing good for the environment by exterminating cane toads.
I found placing a lot of table on their backs also had the desired effect...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.