Cane Toads

Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:10 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Cane Toads

Just filled our pool up and waiting for everything to settle and so far we have rescued 5 toads in 12 hours.

We have looked on the internet and they are Cane Toads which are supposed to be killed - what is the most humanitarian way? We could put a severely injured animal out of its misery but to kill a perfectly healthy animal is something I really have a problem with.

Is there anyway to prevent other small creatures getting in the pool which won't make the pool fencing look worse than it will do when installed. We still have temporary fencing up at the moment.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:53 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cane Toads

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Just filled our pool up and waiting for everything to settle and so far we have rescued 5 toads in 12 hours.

We have looked on the internet and they are Cane Toads which are supposed to be killed - what is the most humanitarian way? We could put a severely injured animal out of its misery but to kill a perfectly healthy animal is something I really have a problem with.

Is there anyway to prevent other small creatures getting in the pool which won't make the pool fencing look worse than it will do when installed. We still have temporary fencing up at the moment.

Any suggestions appreciated.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=CxzMMyEBu2c
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:34 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Cane toads are a serial pest, they are top of their food chain and so displace indigineous wildlife. They may also kill your dog/cat.

You may have qulams about killing them but by rescuing them you are allowing them to kill wildlife that is naturally here.

Apaprently catching then freezing is a humane way to kill them.

I found that placing a lot of table salt on their back is very effective, others recommend Domestos (and presumably bleach), which may be less humane but as I suggest, you will be doing good for the environment by exterminating cane toads.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:16 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayr
Cane toads are a serial pest, they are top of their food chain and so displace indigineous wildlife. They may also kill your dog/cat.

You may have qulams about killing them but by rescuing them you are allowing them to kill wildlife that is naturally here.

Apaprently catching then freezing is a humane way to kill them.

I found that placing a lot of table salt on their back is very effective, others recommend Domestos (and presumably bleach), which may be less humane but as I suggest, you will be doing good for the environment by exterminating cane toads.
Christ almighty!

I get so freaking tired of saying this. Stop torturing the freaking animals. No salt, no domestos, no detol, no golf clubs...

Just pick them up, put them in a plastic tuppaware box and pop them into the freezer and they go to sleep and then die. It's really easy.

They're still animals. You don't club cute fluffy feral kittens to death do you? Cane toads still feel pain just the same as cute fluffy animals do.
Burning them with salt and detol is hugely cruel. So is putting a fork through them.

It's a joke. There are so many introduced animals in Australia. Even dingos aren't 'native' but they've been here so long that Australia thinks they're the native dog.
Cows and sheep aren't native. Blackbirds aren't native. Pigs aren't native...

Humans do far worse damage to the environment in Australia... Look what we've done with farming ... turned much of the place into a desert.
Ironically, the toads were imported from Hawaii to get rid of the Greyback beetle, which was destroying the sugarcane crop. Problem was, the beetle could fly and the Cane Toad couldn't. DOH!
Just another example of sheer stupidity... like bringing rabbits over for food and introducing foxes here so the posh twits could go hunting.

In 2002 the Aus gvt said that it was working on something which would stop the tadpoles of the Cane toads developing into full toads, but I've heard nothing more since. There's also talk of introducing a parasite which will stop the lungs of the toad working and they'll die quickly.

But the bottom line is that cane toads are hugely sucessful breeders and unless you are searching the waterways for their eggs (like a chain or rope of spawn in usually still water) then you haven't got a cat in hell's chance of controlling them by killing them off every night unless there's a community wide approach to doing so.

Aussies used to keep toads as pets. You might like to have a giggle and watch this some time:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../broughsbooks/

But please don't think it's acceptable to torture animals, just because they're amphibians.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Christ almighty!

I get so freaking tired of saying this. Stop torturing the freaking animals. No salt, no domestos, no detol, no golf clubs...

Just pick them up, put them in a plastic tuppaware box and pop them into the freezer and they go to sleep and then die. It's really easy.

They're still animals. You don't club cute fluffy feral kittens to death do you? Cane toads still feel pain just the same as cute fluffy animals do.
Burning them with salt and detol is hugely cruel. So is putting a fork through them.

It's a joke. There are so many introduced animals in Australia. Even dingos aren't 'native' but they've been here so long that Australia thinks they're the native dog.
Cows and sheep aren't native. Blackbirds aren't native. Pigs aren't native...

Humans do far worse damage to the environment in Australia... Look what we've done with farming ... turned much of the place into a desert.
Ironically, the toads were imported from Hawaii to get rid of the Greyback beetle, which was destroying the sugarcane crop. Problem was, the beetle could fly and the Cane Toad couldn't. DOH!
Just another example of sheer stupidity... like bringing rabbits over for food and introducing foxes here so the posh twits could go hunting.

In 2002 the Aus gvt said that it was working on something which would stop the tadpoles of the Cane toads developing into full toads, but I've heard nothing more since. There's also talk of introducing a parasite which will stop the lungs of the toad working and they'll die quickly.

But the bottom line is that cane toads are hugely sucessful breeders and unless you are searching the waterways for their eggs (like a chain or rope of spawn in usually still water) then you haven't got a cat in hell's chance of controlling them by killing them off every night unless there's a community wide approach to doing so.

Aussies used to keep toads as pets. You might like to have a giggle and watch this some time:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../broughsbooks/

But please don't think it's acceptable to torture animals, just because they're amphibians.
Long standing attitudes are a hard thing to change, our neighbours kids removed the toads in our garden with golf clubs. Didn't kill them so they moved onn to cricket bats.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by TMRE
Long standing attitudes are a hard thing to change, our neighbours kids removed the toads in our garden with golf clubs. Didn't kill them so they moved onn to cricket bats.
And surreally, you let them do it.
Betcha didn't say 'Hey kids, let's not cause these amphibians agonising deaths while you bash the crap out of them... let me show you a new way!'.

Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

I agree,

I was a big carp angler in the UK but dont do it here even though theres an abundance of never been caught hard fighting river carp. The reason I dont fish for them here is that you get a fine if you dont cull them and Im afraid theres not many humane ways of killing a carp on the river bank short of clubbing it to death.

Rather then catching say 10+ large carp in 1 session which is very easy to do so, I have caught 1 murry cod (native Australian species) in probably 6-7 trips out due to not wanting to catch carp.

(done plenty of salt water fishing of course but I live in Canberra so a bit away from the sea)
Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Christ almighty!

I'm with you TP. If it was some other animal, some place else, being treated like that, then we'd all be up in arms calling for the RSPCA (or equivalent), and quite probably the police to get involved.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

And surreally, you let them do it.
Betcha didn't say 'Hey kids, let's not cause these amphibians agonising deaths while you bash the crap out of them... let me show you a new way!'.

Good on you for jumping to conclusions. No I didn't stop them as we were not here at the time, when we got home they were telling our daughter what they had done. Apparently it is a weekly thing they do for fun and we had only just moved in. Did speak to our Aussie neighbour and ask them not to do it but he doesn't see anything wrong with it. That's why I said attitudes are hard to change especially if they are passed on. They don't come on to our garden anymore but I don't see how I can stop them doing it elsewhere.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by spartacus
I'm with you TP. If it was some other animal, some place else, being treated like that, then we'd all be up in arms calling for the RSPCA (or equivalent), and quite probably the police to get involved.
I know ...
Can you see the headlines... 'Teenagers arrested after clubbing kittens to death'...

Some mistake Aus native frogs for Cane toads... Such as here:
http://www.news.com.au/comments/0,23...-13762,00.html

I cannot for the life of me fathom how someone can go out and club an animal to death. It's surreal.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:00 am

Good on you for jumping to conclusions. No I didn't stop them as we were not here at the time, when we got home they were telling our daughter what they had done. Apparently it is a weekly thing they do for fun and we had only just moved in. Did speak to our Aussie neighbour and ask them not to do it but he doesn't see anything wrong with it. That's why I said attitudes are hard to change especially if they are passed on. They don't come on to our garden anymore but I don't see how I can stop them doing it elsewhere.
Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion.
Can't imagine how kids can be allowed to roam the neighbourhood wandering into gardens at will, torturing animals.
And as for you stopping it, I guess you can always get involved with a local group who rounds these creatures up and disposes of them by freezing... or why not even speak to the kids? Or write to your local paper? Or ask your council about starting up a local frog watch group if you haven't got one.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion.
Can't imagine how kids can be allowed to roam the neighbourhood wandering into gardens at will, torturing animals.
And as for you stopping it, I guess you can always get involved with a local group who rounds these creatures up and disposes of them by freezing... or why not even speak to the kids? Or write to your local paper? Or ask your council about starting up a local frog watch group if you haven't got one.
It's a close knit cul-de-sac, everyone has been here for years all aussie's, we are in the only rental property and none of the previous tenants have lasted longer than 6 months. Defiantly not the Ramsey street life!. The kids are teenagers and just laughed when I was speaking to their dad. Will try the above suggestions ta!. Haven't seen or heard any recently though so hopefully they have moved on.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't seen or heard any recently though so hopefully they have moved on . . .
yes . . . probably to toad heaven.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:24 am

It's a close knit cul-de-sac, everyone has been here for years all aussie's, we are in the only rental property and none of the previous tenants have lasted longer than 6 months. Defiantly not the Ramsey street life!. The kids are teenagers and just laughed when I was speaking to their dad. Will try the above suggestions ta!. Haven't seen or heard any recently though so hopefully they have moved on.
I'd be asking around on Freecycle for a big chest freezer going for free and working with the council to advertise yourself as a toad disposal unit.
(But that's just me)

I like this idea.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1826071.htm

Just because you live where you live doesn't mean you can't do it differently. Offer something for the kids if they get the most toads alive and bingo, suddenly they'll be your best friend.

I think at the end of the day, it's about education.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:39 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people will happily aim to run over cane toads in their car, especially when there are lot on the road following rains.

The RSPCA suggest putting haemmorhoid cream on their backs then freezing, or better still taking to a vet to euthanise.

I suspect that if we leave it to RSPCA methods the cane toad invasion will continue apace and kill off more indigineous wildlife in QLD, the NT and increasingly in NSW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.