Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge
This all seems to have got much more difficult to do ...

I can't seem to get the ANA site to work - it refuses to let me put SYD in as the departure airport...

The United site is rubbish, the Aeroplan site no longer works and the wife is giving me hell because my daughter will have given birth before I manage to book the flights :-)

Help....please.
http://beta.awardtravelr.com/
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I'd found a ripper business deal for Perth - Manchester - Perth, $3,999. But then I realised that the flights were with China Airlines and their reputation (from the little info I've been able to find) isn't the best. BYO parachutes R not us.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Thanks, tried them as well - maybe I'm just trying too early but I can't find any business awards for December 2013...
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:48 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge
Thanks, tried them as well - maybe I'm just trying too early but I can't find any business awards for December 2013...
The seats are actually there but most of the engines aren't showing them yet. Avianca LifeMiles does though...right into Jan 2014...I have seen some interesting options for next Xmas which I am thinking of booking in case I go.

If it's for a Xmas return US is not going to give you anything more than 330 days in the future. So it would be 10 days or so before you could conceivably book a very early Jan return.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

sigourner is on a distinguished road

OK, so I've just got the new special offer from US Airways emailed to me telling me I can get 50% more miles than I pay for which looks good, not worked out the price yet but hopefully OK. As I'm booking for the end of March to fly from Sydney to London (or Edinburgh) I thought I should check availability but can't seem to get there. I tried with the US Airways website but even though I managed to get Sydney in as a departure airport it told me that they don't offer award travel from that point. I then went to the AwardTravelr site, the first attempt just sat there stuck on the searching site and any following searches have just returned immediately without showing anything no matter what date I put in. Am I doing something really stupid here or am I just unluckily hitting dates with nothing available?

Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by sigourner
OK, so I've just got the new special offer from US Airways emailed to me telling me I can get 50% more miles than I pay for which looks good, not worked out the price yet but hopefully OK. As I'm booking for the end of March to fly from Sydney to London (or Edinburgh) I thought I should check availability but can't seem to get there. I tried with the US Airways website but even though I managed to get Sydney in as a departure airport it told me that they don't offer award travel from that point. I then went to the AwardTravelr site, the first attempt just sat there stuck on the searching site and any following searches have just returned immediately without showing anything no matter what date I put in. Am I doing something really stupid here or am I just unluckily hitting dates with nothing available?

Here's a quote from post 1...did you read through it? Nothing has changed on this score:

Originally Posted by bcworld

The gotchas:
[LIST][*]There is no availability checking or online booking on the US Airways website - you will need to call them up.
Awardtravelr can be unreliable...sometimes it is let down by its data sources I think. Sometimes you have to wait a looooong time for all the results.

The end of March is Easter of course...a busy travel season. How flexible are your dates?

+50% isn't a great offer. I would imagine you will be able to buy 50+25k with the promo then you will need a further 45k at full price. The miles cost alone will be about USD3600...total will be over USD4000 (business class). Edit: see below

Last edited by bcworld; Feb 1st 2013 at 12:59 am.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

OK...so I see the new offer allows you to buy upto 100+50.

So you would be looking at 80k full price miles = USD3000 + approx USD500 for taxes & fees.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

I completely forgot about Easter!! OK, I will call them up before I buy them, I am flexible with dates but I have to be in Scotland for the 30th March and the 9th of April, around those two dates I have pretty good flexibility. Are they OK about you phoning up prior to having the miles?

I didn't think the deal was that bad, I've been looking at premium economy as a backup if I couldn't get this deal and the best I can do is British Airways at approx $2800 but after reading a few reviews about their premium economy cabin I've been put off a little :-/
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

I completely forgot about Easter!! OK, I will call them up before I buy them, I am flexible with dates but I have to be in Scotland for the 30th March and the 9th of April, around those two dates I have pretty good flexibility. Are they OK about you phoning up prior to having the miles?

I didn't think the deal was that bad, I've been looking at premium economy as a backup if I couldn't get this deal and the best I can do is British Airways at approx $2800 but after reading a few reviews about their premium economy cabin I've been put off a little :-/
Are you just after one seat? There is limitless availability between SYD and BKK...onwards from there it's tricky. FRA is your best connection for EDI but nothing available. There is only one day with business class left on BKK-LHR (26 March, you'd need to leave SYD on the 25th and overnight in Bangkok). There are more first class options if you want to push the boat out though! You'd need to make your own way to EDI (RIP bmi!).

Code:
SYD  Sydney Kingsford Smith NS AU [YSSY]
BKK  Bangkok Metro / Suvarnabhumi Intl TH = BKK DMK [VTBS]
MON  25 Mar 2013 (25 Mar 2013 - 31 Mar 2013) | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
TG         476     SYD   10:00     BKK   15:25     744  0   FS+  CS+  YS+
TG         476     SYD   10:00 +1  BKK   15:25 +1  ***  0   FS+  CS+  YS+
TG         476     SYD   10:00 +2  BKK   15:25 +2  ***  0   FS+  CS+  YS+
TG         476     SYD   10:00 +3  BKK   15:25 +3  ***  0   FS+  CS+  YS+
TG         476     SYD   10:00 +4  BKK   15:25 +4  ***  0   FS+  CS+  YS+
TG         476     SYD   10:00 +5  BKK   15:25 +5  ***  0   FS+  CS-  YS+
TG         476     SYD   10:00 +6  BKK   15:25 +6  ***  0   FS+  CS+  YS+
TG         472     SYD   17:05     BKK   22:35     744  0   FS+  CS+  YS+
TG         472     SYD   17:05 +1  BKK   22:35 +1  ***  0
TG         472     SYD   17:05 +2  BKK   22:35 +2  ***  0   FS+  CS+  YS+
TG         472     SYD   17:05 +3  BKK   22:35 +3  ***  0
TG         472     SYD   17:05 +4  BKK   22:35 +4  ***  0   FS+  CS-  YS+
TG         472     SYD   17:05 +5  BKK   22:35 +5  ***  0   FS+  CS+  YS+
TG         472     SYD   17:05 +6  BKK   22:35 +6  ***  0   FS+  CS+  YS+
Code:
BKK  Bangkok Metro / Suvarnabhumi Intl TH = BKK DMK [VTBS]
LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
MON  25 Mar 2013 (25 Mar 2013 - 31 Mar 2013) | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
TG         910     BKK   00:15     LHR   06:20     346  0   FS-  CS-  YS-
TG         910     BKK   00:15 +1  LHR   06:20 +1  ***  0   FS-  CS-  YS-
TG         910     BKK   00:15 +2  LHR   06:20 +2  ***  0   FS-  CS-  YS+
TG         910     BKK   00:15 +3  LHR   06:20 +3  ***  0   FS-  CS-  YS-
TG         910     BKK   00:15 +4  LHR   06:20 +4  ***  0   FS-  CS-  YS-
TG         910     BKK   00:15 +5  LHR   06:20 +5  ***  0   FS-  CS-  YS-
TG         910     BKK   00:15 +6  LHR   06:20 +6  ***  0   FS-  CS-  YS-
TG         916     BKK   13:30     LHR   19:35     346  0   FS-  CS-  YS-
TG         916     BKK   13:30 +1  LHR   19:35 +1  ***  0   FS-  CS+  YS+
TG         916     BKK   13:30 +2  LHR   19:35 +2  ***  0   FS+  CS-  YS+
TG         916     BKK   13:30 +3  LHR   19:35 +3  ***  0   FS-  CS-  YS+
TG         916     BKK   13:30 +4  LHR   19:35 +4  ***  0   FS+  CS-  YS-
TG         916     BKK   13:30 +5  LHR   19:35 +5  ***  0   FS-  CS-  YS-
TG         916     BKK   13:30 +6  LHR   19:35 +6  ***  0   FS+  CS-  YS-
Old Feb 1st 2013, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, just one seat. The 25th is fine, I think I will just move dates around as I need them. I was also considering whether I go all out and get a first class ticket as it is available.

Sorry for my ignorance but how can you tell what seats are available and when they are available from the two reports?
Old Feb 1st 2013, 3:02 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Yeah, just one seat. The 25th is fine, I think I will just move dates around as I need them. I was also considering whether I go all out and get a first class ticket as it is available.

Sorry for my ignorance but how can you tell what seats are available and when they are available from the two reports?
FS = first class
CS = business class
YS = economy class

+ = available e.g. FS+
- = not available e.g CS-

For each flight the report runs in order 25 Mar - 31 Mar.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Buying up to F will certainly make your life easier...lots of availability in F for LHR-SYD after Apr 9th. Not seeing much business. You'll be looking at about USD4200-4300 though.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

So can I just call the line without having the miles or will I need the miles first? I don't want to buy them and then find out I have missed the last seat and am stuffed. Also, do we know what airline I would be flying with or is that just pot luck?

Thanks again for all the advice :-)
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

So can I just call the line without having the miles or will I need the miles first? I don't want to buy them and then find out I have missed the last seat and am stuffed. Also, do we know what airline I would be flying with or is that just pot luck?

Thanks again for all the advice :-)
The airline is Thai.

They are generally OK with putting seats on hold (for about 3 days) with zero miles balance. But beware that miles purchase is not always instant now so there is some risk that the hold could expire prior to miles posting.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

blue_hotel has a brilliant futureblue_hotel has a brilliant futureblue_hotel has a brilliant futureblue_hotel has a brilliant futureblue_hotel has a brilliant futureblue_hotel has a brilliant futureblue_hotel has a brilliant future

Hi, I've been reading all of this with interest. I have a couple of questions:

1. Can you only have one person gift you airmiles or can you get several friends to sign up and gift them to you?
2. It looks to me that to buy 50K miles costs USD1750 but to have the same amount gifted costs USD500. Have I got that right?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.