Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Jan 9th 2013, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

sigourner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Originally Posted by bcworld
If you want to be ready for any offers you should sign up STRAIGHT AWAY for Dividend Miles and here. Don't wait until you hear about offers running as you may not be eligible.
Thanks for that, joined both of them, I guess it is just a waiting game now, still can't believe the offers that can be available
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyc88 is on a distinguished road

Two questions:

1.) Regarding Thai and babies traveling. Are there any alternatives to Thai who allow kids on the seats without wanting lots of $$$$? Doing the SYD > LHR route.

2.) Flying out to SYD next week, have a layover of 1.35hrs. Is this long enough to get a massage in the BKK first lounge? If so is there any way to book ahead?

Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

jamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nice

HI Tony good luck we have just returned.for your massage for a full one you will need about a hour, i suppose that you could call the Thai First class lounge and pre book.
The Spa is directly opposite the First Class Lounge, and our gate to and from Sydney was very close to the lounge also, are you going FC, also are you flying from Syd to Bangkok then on to Lhr without calling at another hub thanks, by the way FC is superb
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:42 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Our trip is getting closer - booked the car hire and the Eurostar tickets last night, plus the travel insurance.

Question: if for any valid reason the trip has to be cancelled, what will the insurance pay out on first class flights booked with award points?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:00 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Our trip is getting closer - booked the car hire and the Eurostar tickets last night, plus the travel insurance.

Question: if for any valid reason the trip has to be cancelled, what will the insurance pay out on first class flights booked with award points?
Have you read the terms of your insurance policy? Some of them make specific reference to award flights.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:51 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read the terms of your insurance policy? Some of them make specific reference to award flights.
Yes, I should have read the PDS more carefully! It says:

"We will pay you for loss of frequent flyer or similar air travel points you used to purchase an airline ticket following cancellation of that airline ticket, if you cannot recover the lost points from any other source. The cancellation must be due to unforeseen circumstances outside of your control.
We calculate the amount we pay you as follows:
• the cost of an equivalent class airline ticket based on the quoted retail price at the time the ticket was issued, less your financial contribution toward the airline ticket;
multiplied by:
• the total number of points lost divided by the total number of points used to obtain the ticket"

The cost of the "equivalent class airline ticket" is $24,000 (from the Thai website) and my "financial contribution" was about $3000 - so if the flight can't go ahead for reasons outside my control I stand to get $21,000 per ticket!
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:57 am
Just Joined

twitch1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Yes, I should have read the PDS more carefully! It says:

"We will pay you for loss of frequent flyer or similar air travel points you used to purchase an airline ticket following cancellation of that airline ticket, if you cannot recover the lost points from any other source. The cancellation must be due to unforeseen circumstances outside of your control.
We calculate the amount we pay you as follows:
• the cost of an equivalent class airline ticket based on the quoted retail price at the time the ticket was issued, less your financial contribution toward the airline ticket;
multiplied by:
• the total number of points lost divided by the total number of points used to obtain the ticket"

The cost of the "equivalent class airline ticket" is $24,000 (from the Thai website) and my "financial contribution" was about $3000 - so if the flight can't go ahead for reasons outside my control I stand to get $21,000 per ticket!
Hi KJCherokee

May I ask who you took your policy out with ?
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:18 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

Virgin Money, underwritten by Allianz
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:44 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

If you want to be ready for any offers you should sign up STRAIGHT AWAY for Dividend Miles and here. Don't wait until you hear about offers running as you may not be eligible.
Hi BC. Need to book flights to UK from Perth. I have 68,000 Life Miles and would like to travel Business in fully reclining seats with Thai or Singapore. How to I go about finding seat availability and booking. Thanks in anticipation.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ballys
Hi BC. Need to book flights to UK from Perth. I have 68,000 Life Miles and would like to travel Business in fully reclining seats with Thai or Singapore. How to I go about finding seat availability and booking. Thanks in anticipation.
Well you can book online on the LM web site so that would be a good place to start. LM slightly increased their redemption rates about a month ago so your account will need a very minor top up.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:24 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Well you can book online on the LM web site so that would be a good place to start. LM slightly increased their redemption rates about a month ago so your account will need a very minor top up.
Thanks BC. Have topped up to 70,000 points. I believe I only have 2 options leaving Perth, Thai and Singapore Airlines. Flying out between 5th and 12th August and flying back between 15th and 20th Sept but all show sold out. Do they release more seats at a later date? Or what are my other options? Thanks again for your help.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:54 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Thanks BC. Have topped up to 70,000 points. I believe I only have 2 options leaving Perth, Thai and Singapore Airlines. Flying out between 5th and 12th August and flying back between 15th and 20th Sept but all show sold out. Do they release more seats at a later date? Or what are my other options? Thanks again for your help.
I only checked the PER-UK but I can see your problem.

The availability is fine on PER-BKK. But on BKK-LHR there is only F class available for the shortest connection flight - LM will not offer mixed class itins. There is C class availability on the afternoon BKK-LHR flight, which would involve an overnight connection...but again, LM online engine cannot cope with long layovers or overnight connections. Unfortunately LM phone agents are reputedly not much better so you might struggle to get an overnight connection. BKK-FRA suffers from the same issue...no C class availability. One option I can see is PER-BKK-CDG...there is C class availability to Paris on the A380 but you'd have to make your own way from there. Unfortunately LM doesn't really offer the ability to build your own itinerary like US Airways does...it's best to assume you can only get what is displayed online.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:57 pm
My hovercraft is full of

I only checked the PER-UK but I can see your problem.

The availability is fine on PER-BKK. But on BKK-LHR there is only F class available for the shortest connection flight - LM will not offer mixed class itins. There is C class availability on the afternoon BKK-LHR flight, which would involve an overnight connection...but again, LM online engine cannot cope with long layovers or overnight connections. Unfortunately LM phone agents are reputedly not much better so you might struggle to get an overnight connection. BKK-FRA suffers from the same issue...no C class availability. One option I can see is PER-BKK-CDG...there is C class availability to Paris on the A380 but you'd have to make your own way from there. Unfortunately LM doesn't really offer the ability to build your own itinerary like US Airways does...it's best to assume you can only get what is displayed online.
I did'nt think about CDG so will book today,many thanks.I am going with the wife(who also has 70000 points) may I book for both of us,using both our points?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

I did'nt think about CDG so will book today,many thanks.I am going with the wife(who also has 70000 points) may I book for both of us,using both our points?
Each of you booking the one way flight for 2 would be the best way to go.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:42 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.