Brown Snake?

Old Oct 29th 2013, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brown Snake?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've got some growing up in the bush stories that would make most UK migrants head spin if you want ?
I'm game, Eagle. To start the ball rolling, here's a reminiscence I posted on my blogsite a year ago. http://barlowscayman.blogspot.com/20...-part-two.html

I grew up on a sheep farm on the Darling Downs, Queensland - "the bush", but not "The Outback", as you probably know - or at least your wife will know.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 9:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Plenty of Aussie Bush Chicks are like this.

What do you expect when you grow up on a outback sheep station with 5 brothers as your main influence.... Like the times they used to get "Shags" wild birds that is, and make her put her hand down their throats to get the fish out..... dozens and dozens of stories like that. Then there's the sheep marrow...

I'll stop now though
I'm interested.

Start a new thread for it.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm interested. Start a new thread for it.
Eagle - you go for it. Mine was an unexciting childhood in the bush; I couldn't get away fast enough!
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 8:45 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I'm game, Eagle. To start the ball rolling, here's a reminiscence I posted on my blogsite a year ago. http://barlowscayman.blogspot.com/20...-part-two.html

I grew up on a sheep farm on the Darling Downs, Queensland - "the bush", but not "The Outback", as you probably know - or at least your wife will know.
You should involve Badge, he's got many tales about his time in the bush
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Turning leeches inside out, especially after getting covered in the bloody things after walking knee deep through a flood. Playing around the roots of trees near the edge of the lagoon and poking the tiger snakes with sticks just to see them fire up... Watching one of her brothers get his head knocked out on the back swing of an axe when her father was chopping wood... Then dealing with the situation when your at least 180 mins from the closest medical help.

Driving "Paddock bombs".... Thats cars to you and I and rolling them at age 9...

Seeing her ole man completely lose it one day and pick up the gun and start firing indiscriminately at things he shouldnt have been shooting and close to people..... Not too many cops out the back of Parkes NSW
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

poking the tiger snakes with sticks just to see them fire up...
I was going to stay are you stupid or what? Then I remembered the day I found this on my lawn... and poked it with a stick to watch it fire up... Actually I should say my dog found it first, she was lucky that time, not so lucky with the Tiger Snake :-(

It's a Mouse Spider, venomous and related to the Sydney Funnel Web.
Attached Thumbnails Brown Snake?-mouse-spider.jpg  
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jacqui
Off on a bit of a tangent here, but I once read a report that an ABC newsreader had misread the words in front of him and had announced, "Today a woman in [some Sydney suburb] was bitten on the funnel by a finger-web spider". Can anybody tell me whether that was a true story or a fake?
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jacqui
I was going to stay are you stupid or what? Then I remembered the day I found this on my lawn... and poked it with a stick to watch it fire up... Actually I should say my dog found it first, she was lucky that time, not so lucky with the Tiger Snake :-(

cracking pic, amazing looking thing
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 4:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Off on a bit of a tangent here, but I once read a report that an ABC newsreader had misread the words in front of him and had announced, "Today a woman in [some Sydney suburb] was bitten on the funnel by a finger-web spider". Can anybody tell me whether that was a true story or a fake?
Can't confirm one way or another, but it sounds plausible to me. I told my neurosurgeon that my tingers were fingling. I think he wanted to send me to a shrink after that.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 4:59 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
There must be many better things that dont work that you could spend your money on

I don't know - I have the bear version and it seems to work pretty well...

S
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ainitcskarachi
Australia has some venomous snakes and care should be taken to be fully clothed when camping in the wild or have first aid at hand.
Perhaps this would blend in nicely with the bush:
Attached Thumbnails Brown Snake?-camping-protection.jpg