Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British owned construction companies in Australia

British owned construction companies in Australia

Old Feb 16th 2016, 12:03 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British owned construction companies in Australia

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The visa system in Australia does not work that way. You cannot just pick an occupation based on ease of finding work in it, you need to get into a visa based upon YOUR occupation.

I referred you to a website earlier in which you could check occupation descriptions. Have y exhausted that and ruled yourself out now? Must say I am surprised that somebody in construction would not fit into an occupation code, but this isn't my field so I am no expert.
I'm thinking along the same way, although willing to be corrected. I always thought it was the qualified tradies, architects etc wanted, not builders or labourers. But as said willing to be corrected for OPs sake.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
I'm thinking along the same way, although willing to be corrected. I always thought it was the qualified tradies, architects etc wanted, not builders or labourers. But as said willing to be corrected for OPs sake.
There is certainly no way a labourer would get a visa to Australia, but I don't think OP is a labourer, I got the impression he was an experienced manager in construction, in which case it is certainly worth checking the lists properly IMHO.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dones is an unknown quantity at this point

There is certainly no way a labourer would get a visa to Australia, but I don't think OP is a labourer, I got the impression he was an experienced manager in construction, in which case it is certainly worth checking the lists properly IMHO.
I know a visa doesn't just work that way, my point is that site manager in the UK is a superintendent in Canada and America and maybe different in Australia it varies in different countries and it says project builder on SOL which all the duties in that profession is exactly what I do but again I could be totally wrong but yes I am a construction site manager thanks
Old Feb 16th 2016, 12:34 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

If you find that as the best match then look at what's needed to pass a skills assesment for it. If you think you can pass skills assesment, then apply for that, wait for results. Once you have a positive skills assesment (and IELTS if required), then you can lodge an EOI
Old Feb 16th 2016, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teza
If you find that as the best match then look at what's needed to pass a skills assesment for it. If you think you can pass skills assesment, then apply for that, wait for results. Once you have a positive skills assesment (and IELTS if required), then you can lodge an EOI
OK will do thankyou for the info
Old Feb 18th 2016, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Firstly, if your skills are similar to wanted/listed skills then that is the first hurdle.

Site managers here are exactly the same as the UK. I have several working for me and I say rather tongue in cheek that the large number of poms in the construction industry is because they need someone to show them how to build properly! What would not be tolerated in the UK is passable here, especially out of the cities.

I worked with Barratt/Wilson Connelly/Taylor Woodrow/St George and if you are at that level in Persimmon, you would easily be able to hold your own. The only element different is unions on the larger sites, which can be a challenge to you sanity at the best of times. For resi build, you would have to be into high rise for large jobs. One off builds are more limited and your salary expectations would probably take a hit here.

Typical aussie companies would expect their site managers to have a builder's licence - certainly in Qld, but it is not essential. The best bet is to find a company with pommie employees who would be receptive to your skills and understand your skill set. Be warned though, when I started, I was asked if I had Australian experience, then Qld experience, to which my standard response was a 1m x 1m x 1m hole filled with concrete was the same wherever.

It is harder breaking in, but once you prove yourself, it is easy to move around with a network built up.

Best of luck. It worked for me, although I am not a site manager, meeting a company who employed many expats and I got a job within 1 month of looking and stayed for 6 years before moving on. Just be determined and don't accept a knock down and ask if those who turn you down can suggest alternatives.

TD
Old Feb 18th 2016, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Toe Dipper
Firstly, if your skills are similar to wanted/listed skills then that is the first hurdle.

Site managers here are exactly the same as the UK. I have several working for me and I say rather tongue in cheek that the large number of poms in the construction industry is because they need someone to show them how to build properly! What would not be tolerated in the UK is passable here, especially out of the cities.

I worked with Barratt/Wilson Connelly/Taylor Woodrow/St George and if you are at that level in Persimmon, you would easily be able to hold your own. The only element different is unions on the larger sites, which can be a challenge to you sanity at the best of times. For resi build, you would have to be into high rise for large jobs. One off builds are more limited and your salary expectations would probably take a hit here.

Typical aussie companies would expect their site managers to have a builder's licence - certainly in Qld, but it is not essential. The best bet is to find a company with pommie employees who would be receptive to your skills and understand your skill set. Be warned though, when I started, I was asked if I had Australian experience, then Qld experience, to which my standard response was a 1m x 1m x 1m hole filled with concrete was the same wherever.

It is harder breaking in, but once you prove yourself, it is easy to move around with a network built up.

Best of luck. It worked for me, although I am not a site manager, meeting a company who employed many expats and I got a job within 1 month of looking and stayed for 6 years before moving on. Just be determined and don't accept a knock down and ask if those who turn you down can suggest alternatives.

TD
Thankyou very much TD for the advice that's great do you have any information on companies that look at recruitment from the UK or expos that would help, my plan was to take a holiday here next year and just visit many companies face to face to see if I could secure a position thanks
Old Feb 18th 2016, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Treat expos as light entertainment without any substance. Unless you fit neatly into engineering they do not recognise you.

I only have experience in Qld. Where are you heading?

TD
Old Feb 18th 2016, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Treat expos as light entertainment without any substance. Unless you fit neatly into engineering they do not recognise you.

I only have experience in Qld. Where are you heading?

TD
To be honest I don't really have anywhere specific in mind as long as it's away from the UK thankyou
Old Feb 18th 2016, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

The agencies similar to those in London would be good. Try Ranstead or Hays. Some operate in London as well as Australia, which is helpful

Companies? Try Broad Construction (Perth & Brissie) although I am not sure on their workloads. Realistically though, no company will give you a serious look in until you have committed to the move. Why would they, when they have no certainty of your relocation. They may want you immediately and you wouldn't be able to commit.

Whatever happens, best of British!

TD
Old Feb 18th 2016, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

The agencies similar to those in London would be good. Try Ranstead or Hays. Some operate in London as well as Australia, which is helpful

Companies? Try Broad Construction (Perth & Brissie) although I am not sure on their workloads. Realistically though, no company will give you a serious look in until you have committed to the move. Why would they, when they have no certainty of your relocation. They may want you immediately and you wouldn't be able to commit.

Whatever happens, best of British!

TD
Thankyou for the information and I know what you mean it's just I can't really commit to the move until I have guaranteed employment but thank you again for the info
Old Feb 18th 2016, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Dave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dones.
Bit of a catch 22. I understand that you can't come until you have employment but most Australian companies will not take you seriously unless you are here. I get many applications from the UK but unless you have a skill that is very difficult to get from the current Aussie workforce there is very little incentive to take any application further.

My suggestion would be to get yourself here for a reccie and try and set up some meetings with construction companies. If you can get face to face you will have far more chance of landing an opportunity. Even then you will be at the mercy of changing market conditions between the time you come for a reccie and actually arriving here.

Daunting I know but sometimes you have to take a chance in life. I got on a plane (albeit with a PR visa) with a young family, no job, no contacts but a suitcase full of hope. I was in employment within two weeks of landing here.

Keep trying with making contacts with UK linked construction companies. Try Lend Lease for one and Brookfield. They are more commercial than residential and as someone explained above the way that residential developments work here is on the whole different. Whereas in the UK Persimmon will own and build the whole site, here the landowner (known as the Subdivider) sells the plot of land to the individual homebuyer who then selects his own builder. It's not unusual for their to be over a dozen different builders all on the same building site.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dave1892
Hi Dones.
Bit of a catch 22. I understand that you can't come until you have employment but most Australian companies will not take you seriously unless you are here. I get many applications from the UK but unless you have a skill that is very difficult to get from the current Aussie workforce there is very little incentive to take any application further.

My suggestion would be to get yourself here for a reccie and try and set up some meetings with construction companies. If you can get face to face you will have far more chance of landing an opportunity. Even then you will be at the mercy of changing market conditions between the time you come for a reccie and actually arriving here.

Daunting I know but sometimes you have to take a chance in life. I got on a plane (albeit with a PR visa) with a young family, no job, no contacts but a suitcase full of hope. I was in employment within two weeks of landing here.

Keep trying with making contacts with UK linked construction companies. Try Lend Lease for one and Brookfield. They are more commercial than residential and as someone explained above the way that residential developments work here is on the whole different. Whereas in the UK Persimmon will own and build the whole site, here the landowner (known as the Subdivider) sells the plot of land to the individual homebuyer who then selects his own builder. It's not unusual for their to be over a dozen different builders all on the same building site.
Thankyou very much David for the info my intention is to visit first to meet face to face with contacts I am currently trying to make through LinkedIn so that is my goal to visit for a week or 2 just to show I am serious about the move then hopefully take things from there I'm glad it worked out for you, I just wouldn't have the money to move and then hope for the best thankyou
Old Feb 18th 2016, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dones
Thankyou for the information and I know what you mean it's just I can't really commit to the move until I have guaranteed employment but thank you again for the info
You would be much better off focusing on the visa, not job hunting at this point.

Having a visa will make you a much more attractive prospect. It is hard enough securing work from overseas without requiring sponsorship as well. If you work on getting the skilled migrant visa this year, then next year you could go over on holiday, interview and you will be able to state you have full working rights.

A lot of companies won't even see you if they know you are only on a holiday visa and they need to sponsor or need to wait for you to then commence a lengthy visa process independently.

Most people do have to make the move without a job lined up. We were prepared to, but then we did as I have recommended above, we had the visa, went on holiday and interviewed whilst we were there. Both got job offers, so can back to the UK to pack up and returned five weeks later.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

You would be much better off focusing on the visa, not job hunting at this point.

Having a visa will make you a much more attractive prospect. It is hard enough securing work from overseas without requiring sponsorship as well. If you work on getting the skilled migrant visa this year, then next year you could go over on holiday, interview and you will be able to state you have full working rights.

A lot of companies won't even see you if they know you are only on a holiday visa and they need to sponsor or need to wait for you to then commence a lengthy visa process independently.

Most people do have to make the move without a job lined up. We were prepared to, but then we did as I have recommended above, we had the visa, went on holiday and interviewed whilst we were there. Both got job offers, so can back to the UK to pack up and returned five weeks later.
Thankyou I am going to look into the visa definitely this year I am going to a expo in Manchester in October so hopefully I can get the advice I need of them as I'm a bit unsure of the types of visa thankyou

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 18th 2016 at 7:25 pm. Reason: fixing quotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.