British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   British owned construction companies in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/british-owned-construction-companies-australia-872528/)

Dones Feb 15th 2016 7:13 pm

British owned construction companies in Australia

Hi can anyone advise me if there are any construction companies in Australia that are British owned or have a few British workers as I am looking for firms I can contact to find work next year if I can find employment thanks

Pollyana Feb 15th 2016 7:35 pm

Re: British owned construction companies in Australia

Originally Posted by Dones (Post 11868442)
Hi can anyone advise me if there are any construction companies in Australia that are British owned or have a few British workers as I am looking for firms I can contact to find work next year if I can find employment thanks

Most Australian firms employ British workers as well as other nationalities, but even if they don't yet, no reason why you can't apply to them as well :)

Beoz Feb 15th 2016 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dones (Post 11868442)

British owned don't necessarily employ Brits. Likewise Aussie owned and foreign owned don't necessarily employ Australians.

What's your angle?

Dones Feb 15th 2016 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11868464)
Most Australian firms employ British workers as well as other nationalities, but even if they don't yet, no reason why you can't apply to them as well :)

Thankyou for the info

Dones Feb 15th 2016 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11868465)
British owned don't necessarily employ Brits. Likewise Aussie owned and foreign owned don't necessarily employ Australians.

What's your angle?

Thanks none really I was just trying to see if I could make any contacts maybe through LinkedIn so I could speak to someone in the same position as me thankyou

Beoz Feb 15th 2016 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dones (Post 11868542)
Thanks none really I was just trying to see if I could make any contacts maybe through LinkedIn so I could speak to someone in the same position as me thankyou

Plenty of Brits working in all sorts of construction companies. Unless you look deep its hard to tell where the companies hail from.

For example, Multiplex was once an Australian company but got acquired by a Canadian company and are responsible for projects all over the world. For example - Wembley Stadium.

Dorothy Feb 16th 2016 2:47 am

You do realise that if you live in Australia you're going to have to actually interact with (gasp!) Australians. Maybe even work with - or for - them.

Dones Feb 16th 2016 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11868616)
Plenty of Brits working in all sorts of construction companies. Unless you look deep its hard to tell where the companies hail from.

For example, Multiplex was once an Australian company but got acquired by a Canadian company and are responsible for projects all over the world. For example - Wembley Stadium.

Thankyou for the info that's great

Dones Feb 16th 2016 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11868702)
You do realise that if you live in Australia you're going to have to actually interact with (gasp!) Australians. Maybe even work with - or for - them.

Yes of course that wasn't what I was getting at, I was just wanting advice of somebody who had made the move into construction from UK to Australia so I could speak with someone who had been in my position

Dorothy Feb 16th 2016 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Dones (Post 11868865)
Yes of course that wasn't what I was getting at, I was just wanting advice of somebody who had made the move into construction from UK to Australia so I could speak with someone who had been in my position

Well lots of people have. What specifically are you looking for advice on? Visas? Skills assessment? Cost of living?

Bermudashorts Feb 16th 2016 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Dones (Post 11868865)

Yes of course others have, this is an expats / migrants website. ;). People have moved over from all kinds of different occupations.

You will find you get best comments if you can be more specific about what you are looking for help with. A lot of people will just ignore the "has anyone moved over" type of question as just do not know what you are looking for.

Dones Feb 16th 2016 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11868876)
Well lots of people have. What specifically are you looking for advice on? Visas? Skills assessment? Cost of living?

I'm a construction site manager in the UK and I can't seen to find this on the SOL list, just wondering if it is called something different in Australia and if it isn't and I'm not on the list is there anyway I can get a job there as I don't own my own house or have savings but I want to emigrate with my wife and kids thankyou

Beoz Feb 16th 2016 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11868876)

No not cost of living ....... please

Bermudashorts Feb 16th 2016 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Dones (Post 11868885)
I'm a construction site manager in the UK and I can't seen to find this on the SOL list, just wondering if it is called something different in Australia and if it isn't and I'm not on the list is there anyway I can get a job there as I don't own my own house or have savings but I want to emigrate with my wife and kids thankyou

Have you checked both lists, there is the SOL and the CSOL.

You should find occupations that might be similar to your occupation and then read about them to see if the contents is similar. Are Construction Project Manager and Project Builder both completely different to Construction Site Manager? I found those pretty quickly by looking up some key words.

Try www.anzscosearch.com to look for occupations and it provides brief descriptions.

Dones Feb 16th 2016 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11868900)
Have you checked both lists, there is the SOL and the CSOL.

You should find occupations that might be similar to your occupation and then read about them to see if the contents is similar. Are Construction Project Manager and Project Builder both completely different to Construction Site Manager? I found those pretty quickly by looking up some key words.

Try www.anzscosearch.com to look for occupations and it provides brief descriptions.

Thankyou very much for the info I found project manager and project builder straight away myself but I'm sure they are different, but I will have another look or research into it more thankyou