Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Better quality of life in Australia?

Better quality of life in Australia?

Old Aug 12th 2004, 1:27 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

Originally Posted by Ulujain
They're higher because the cost of living is higher. I earn far more doing what I do now in the US than I would back home in Australia simply for that reason. There's a huge difference between wages paid in California and Texas too, once again, for cost of living reasons.

Every official financial index out there puts Australia's GDP/PPP per capita and standard of living index above the UK. Why is that? Not so much directed at you Stewie, but all interested bystanders.
You may be right as a generalisation Peter

However we are all different with different circumstances.
It will be different for those with/without children. House owners/renters etc.

Quality of life means different things to different people.It is different from 'Standard of living'. My Standard of living is good here and so is our quality of life in that we are fairly well off and live in a lovely place. However our sons live away (one in Australia) so isn't that also a 'quality of life' factor?

We will be well off in Australia but I will miss the peak district,pubs and beer, and the friends I have .No doubt there will be compensations.
We seem to be in a win/win situation as well as lose/lose situation depending on our perspective on any one day.

This is from my perspective but obviously others will find their situation different.

In terms of 'standard of living' I think we are probably comparing like with like.
Just my view.

I hope this makes sense.

Best wishes

G
Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:43 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kong
What a load of cobblers. In Perth 400 quid/1000 dollars is a lot for someone earning the rubber dollar in low wages Perth. You cannot compare costs Aus/UK without taking wages into account. In the UK I would think nothing of paying 400 quid on a weeks holiday, in Australia that would seem extravagent.
really $1000 for 2 people for 2 weeks holiday in Bali from perth is expensive??? funny how all the people living there at the time said it was really cheap seems you ought to get a better paid job you ignorant little git or better still a life
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:01 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
You may be right as a generalisation Peter

However we are all different with different circumstances.
It will be different for those with/without children. House owners/renters etc.

Quality of life means different things to different people.It is different from 'Standard of living'. My Standard of living is good here and so is our quality of life in that we are fairly well off and live in a lovely place. However our sons live away (one in Australia) so isn't that also a 'quality of life' factor?

We will be well off in Australia but I will miss the peak district,pubs and beer, and the friends I have .No doubt there will be compensations.
We seem to be in a win/win situation as well as lose/lose situation depending on our perspective on any one day.

This is from my perspective but obviously others will find their situation different.

In terms of 'standard of living' I think we are probably comparing like with like.
Just my view.

I hope this makes sense.

Best wishes

G
Hi
Totally agree with what your saying we live in the Peak District and also have a good standard of life we work hard so that when we get to Tasmania we will be able to afford a better standard of life financially. We too will miss the Peak District though scenically Tasmania is very similar to Derbyshire.
Kay
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi
Totally agree with what your saying we live in the Peak District and also have a good standard of life we work hard so that when we get to Tasmania we will be able to afford a better standard of life financially. We too will miss the Peak District though scenically Tasmania is very similar to Derbyshire.
Kay
Different for me Kay as I've retired.
Moving for family reasons (eventually).
We live near Matlock.

Not been up to Hope Valley or Edale for a while.
Bet it looks a bit miserable today though

Best wishes and Good luck

G
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:13 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of cobblers. In Perth 400 quid/1000 dollars is a lot for someone earning the rubber dollar in low wages Perth. You cannot compare costs Aus/UK without taking wages into account. In the UK I would think nothing of paying 400 quid on a weeks holiday, in Australia that would seem extravagent.
You are a right dick arent you.

Siren's b/h
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:25 am
owieb

really $1000 for 2 people for 2 weeks holiday in Bali from perth is expensive??? funny how all the people living there at the time said it was really cheap seems you ought to get a better paid job you ignorant little git or better still a life
Kong wasn't saying that a $1000 was a lot for a 2 week holiday, he was saying that $1000 is a lot of money to people who are living and earning here.

I live here and I earn here, and between myself and my wife we have an above average income. $1000 is a lot of money to us whether we choose to spend it on a holiday to Bali or something else, it's still $1000!

Last edited by owieb; Aug 13th 2004 at 11:45 am.

Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:30 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

[QUOTE=possoms] $1000 for 2 people for 2 weeks holiday in Bali QUOTE]

Pure Crap
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by owieb
Kong wasn't saying that a $1000 was a lot for a 2 week holiday, he was saying that $1000 is a lot of money to people who are living and earning here.

I live here and I earn here, and between myself and my wife we have an above average income. $1000 is a lot of money to us whether we choose to spend it on a holiday to Bali or something else, it's still $1000!
It was actually Possoms who said that they did Bali themselves for $1,000, in his post earlier, not Kong. (Post no 82) I must admit though that I haven't seen it for less than $700 per person for a long time.

We all spend different amounts on holidays, depending on how important holidays are to us. A weekend at the Gold Coast the other week set us back about $700. If i could get a 2 week holiday for 2 in Bali for a weeks wages,($1,000). I reckon we would snap it up.

Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:57 am
kong

Originally Posted by Siren
You are a right dick arent you.

Siren's b/h
The quality of your argument blows me away, ever considered a career in Aussie politics???

Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:00 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

$A.

Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Adelaide Perth
4 Nights 1029 1029 1129 929 849
5 Nights 1049 1049 1149 949 869
6 Nights 1109 1109 1209 1009 929
7 Nights 1169 1169 1269 1069 989
8 Nights 1229 1229 1329 1129 1049
9 Nights 1289 1289 1389 1189 1109
10 Nights 1349 1349 1449 1249 1169

Ubud

Covers air fares & accomodation. Marginal cost: $60 / night.

Last edited by Quinkana; Aug 13th 2004 at 12:07 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:02 pm
kong

Ok you cannot reason so you chuck insults, very Australian.

I was stating that to me in UK 400 quid is not much, whereas if I were in Perth on local wages 1000 bucks would be a lot of dough, irrespective of where the hoilday was.

You can me ignorant??? You are the one calling me names and assuming that I earn little. May I suggest that you think out your posts before publicly humiliating yourself by not fully understanding the argument that is laid out before you.

Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:07 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Its a weeks wages.

In my book paying one weeks wages for 2 weeks holiday is good value for money.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:09 pm
kong

Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris
Its a weeks wages.

In my book paying one weeks wages for 2 weeks holiday is good value for money.
Are you saying that the average wage in Perth is 1000 dollars??

What planet are you on??

Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:10 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Ok you cannot reason so you chuck insults, very Australian.

I was stating that to me in UK 400 quid is not much, whereas if I were in Perth on local wages 1000 bucks would be a lot of dough, irrespective of where the hoilday was.

You can me ignorant??? You are the one calling me names and assuming that I earn little. May I suggest that you think out your posts before publicly humiliating yourself by not fully understanding the argument that is laid out before you.
Practice what you preach, unless you're in it for the laughs.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:15 pm
ABCDiamond

Another holiday comparison.

Hotels

Lovina, Hotel Aneka Lovina from $92
A charming little resort. Clean and comfortable. Good value. The Villas are particularly comfortable with a large verandah, which adds to the holiday experience. Each is an individual building. Includes 5 nights in a Villa.
http://www.flightcentre.com.au

Air Fares
Departing Perth flying to Denpasar in October 2004
ABITP Royal Brunei Airlines from $497*
http://www.flightcentre.com.au

5 x $92 = $460 = 15 nights hotel
1 x $497 = $497 return airfare
Total = $ 957.00 for 15 nights per person

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.