Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Better quality of life in Australia?

Better quality of life in Australia?

Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:19 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

Originally Posted by kong
Are you saying that the average wage in Perth is 1000 dollars??

What planet are you on??
My planet can only speak from own experience !!!!!

been here nearly 4 months, applied for 4 jobs ( I really must slow down )

All 4 jobs applied for, give wages more than A$1000 per week. (well to be fair one is part time, but is scaled up to full time would give wages of >$1000pw)

The lowest paid job I've applied for still nets A$1050 pw. And BTW none of them are in my field of speciality cos they dont do my speciality in OZ. If they did I would be looking for a LOT more.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:21 pm
ABCDiamond

According to statistics, (I did a cut and past on it earlier), the average wage in Australia is just under $1,000 per week, some more, some less, but it averages at about $1,000.

Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:22 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kong
Ok you cannot reason so you chuck insults, very Australian.

I was stating that to me in UK 400 quid is not much, whereas if I were in Perth on local wages 1000 bucks would be a lot of dough, irrespective of where the hoilday was.

You can me ignorant??? You are the one calling me names and assuming that I earn little. May I suggest that you think out your posts before publicly humiliating yourself by not fully understanding the argument that is laid out before you.
Just cos you cant earn reasonable money out here. But then again i really do doubt that 400 quid is not much to you.

I am personally very thankfull that you do not live in Australia.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
According to statistics, (I did a cut and past on it earlier), the average wage in Australia is just under $1,000 per week, some more, some less, but it averages at about $1,000.
That may well be the case but, in our case, we would be getting a lot more than that from our pensions and investments alone.
I do not see that as a big wage.

Not compared to what we are earning in the UK.

G
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:32 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
That may well be the case but, in our case, we would be getting a lot more than that from our pensions and investments alone.

G
I agree totally I was on a lot more than that when I left Australia back in 1996. But we are also able to live comfortably on less than that here in Brisbane.

Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:37 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

G
G, you're right in one respect. Compared to what earnings are in available in the UK/Europe the OZ salaries are not good.

I'm looking at taking at least a 60% cut in salary to be here in perth compared to what I was earning in germany, and thats if I get my top paying job.

But as I said earlier. A$1050pw is my minimum paying job applied for which = 2 weeks holiday which = good value for money in my book.

Just it depends on your priorities. If money was my priority I would have stayed in Europe. Or I could go to Sydney and earn 15-20% more but pay 40-50% more for my house.

I've picked whats important to me and its not salary
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:43 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Thats exactly what i am hoping for ...
A Job that pays enough to pay the bills have a life and basically get us buy
if i wanted "Loads Of Money" i would be staying here in the UK and working All the hours !!

even considering changing direction when i get there ...
Old Aug 13th 2004, 12:48 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
Thats exactly what i am hoping for ...
A Job that pays enough to pay the bills have a life and basically get us buy
if i wanted "Loads Of Money" i would be staying here in the UK and working All the hours !!

even considering changing direction when i get there ...
Stephen, go for it.

Chris and I are both changing directions here, and so far (from our experience) its relatively easy to do.

Ok the money isnt the same, but you sound as if you have already taken that into consideration.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 1:08 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=jib]
Originally Posted by possoms
$1000 for 2 people for 2 weeks holiday in Bali QUOTE]

Pure Crap
sorry don't understand your response nor do i like being called a liar we DID pay $1000 for 2 for 2 weeks booked it at the flight centre Joonduloop last minute maybe the trouble in Bali was the reason it was cheap there certainly were'nt many tourists there but that is beside the point we did it and if i still had the booking info i would post it to prove it!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 1:22 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

It doesnt matter where you are in the world there are always people that like myself who prefer a bargain, and then there are idiots who pay through the nose for holidays well in advance who have no sense of adventure, or as in most cases if you have kids and can only get the peak time fares during holidays then you are screwed to thew floor with high prices.

as the last post said"it was a last minute hol!!! so there are so many discounts to be had if you are flexible on days/times etc.

£400 a week is far better than the average joes pay in the uk for the working class, but more importantly there are so many places to go in australia and most of you are already there which wont cost the earth to get to, so just count yourselves lucky as the majority of people who use this site are wanting to be there and would give thier right arm to do so.

Holidays in wales and blackpool are crap in comparison to sydney,cairns,tazmania,Nz,etc and i would love your problems of only £400 a week and all those places on my doorstep.

alk
Old Aug 13th 2004, 1:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris
G, you're right in one respect. Compared to what earnings are in available in the UK/Europe the OZ salaries are not good.

I'm looking at taking at least a 60% cut in salary to be here in perth compared to what I was earning in germany, and thats if I get my top paying job.

But as I said earlier. A$1050pw is my minimum paying job applied for which = 2 weeks holiday which = good value for money in my book.

Just it depends on your priorities. If money was my priority I would have stayed in Europe. Or I could go to Sydney and earn 15-20% more but pay 40-50% more for my house.

I've picked whats important to me and its not salary
I totally accept what you are saying and you have obviously made a considered choice.
The problem with talking about Average wages is exactly that it is an average.
My son and my cousin both earn more than twice the 'supposed' $1000 wage.
That must mean then that many people are earning a lot less to make it an average.
We all know other posters on here that earn big salaries which again means others must earn a lot less. Not everyone can earn the 'average' if many are above it.
As I mentioned on another thread the contractors I met in Karuah thought that $500 pw would be a reasonable wage and that's what many of their friends earned in inland NSW.
I am also assuming that these figures are pre tax.
Therefore I think it is pointless to try and budget for an 'average' wage as you may earn much less than that.
Until you actually see your first pay packet you do not know what you will be earning and it may come as a shock to some people.
As has been discussed on here before. Where do pensions fit into this equation.
The ability to retire on a reasonable income is also a 'quality of life issue.

Sorry, rambling a bit. I hope I made my point
Best wishes

G
Old Aug 13th 2004, 1:37 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

I totally accept what you are saying and you have obviously made a considered choice.
The problem with talking about Average wages is exactly that it is an average.
My son and my cousin both earn more than twice the 'supposed' $1000 wage.
That must mean then that many people are earning a lot less to make it an average.
We all know other posters on here that earn big salaries which again means others must earn a lot less. Not everyone can earn the 'average' if many are above it.
As I mentioned on another thread the contractors I met in Karuah thought that $500 pw would be a reasonable wage and that's what many of their friends earned in inland NSW.
I am also assuming that these figures are pre tax.
Therefore I think it is pointless to try and budget for an 'average' wage as you may earn much less than that.
Until you actually see your first pay packet you do not know what you will be earning and it may come as a shock to some people.
As has been discussed on here before. Where do pensions fit into this equation.
The ability to retire on a reasonable income is also a 'quality of life issue.

Sorry, rambling a bit. I hope I made my point
Best wishes

G
Agreed if I had moved to Karuah or even back to my hometown of Grafton I would probably be looking at an 80% drop in salary. Its the old story of town vs city.

PS this is partly why Im holding out for my no.1 choice of job. DOD, cos the pension is goooood (v.important to us given that we cashed in our pensions, insurances, selling holiday home in S,Africa etc... to finance our move here). Who was it that said you spend according to your income? Whoever it was, they are a v.wise person.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 1:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris
Who was it that said you spend according to your income? Whoever it was, they are a v.wise person.
Unfortunately a lot of people's income may not meet their aspirations.

Best wishes

G
Old Aug 13th 2004, 1:54 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alkristensen
It doesnt matter where you are in the world there are always people that like myself who prefer a bargain, and then there are idiots who pay through the nose for holidays well in advance who have no sense of adventure, or as in most cases if you have kids and can only get the peak time fares during holidays then you are screwed to thew floor with high prices.

as the last post said"it was a last minute hol!!! so there are so many discounts to be had if you are flexible on days/times etc.

£400 a week is far better than the average joes pay in the uk for the working class, but more importantly there are so many places to go in australia and most of you are already there which wont cost the earth to get to, so just count yourselves lucky as the majority of people who use this site are wanting to be there and would give thier right arm to do so.

Holidays in wales and blackpool are crap in comparison to sydney,cairns,tazmania,Nz,etc and i would love your problems of only £400 a week and all those places on my doorstep.

alk
Mate I couldn't have put it better myself The biggest part of our dream is to see as much of Australia as possible if not what is the point of going??? We will live on beans on toast all week then at the weekend get in our beaten up old camper van and traavelllll BRING IT ON. Oh and the cost well a tank of fuel a boot load o carlton cold and bangers for the barbie the result priceless.

Kay
Old Aug 13th 2004, 2:02 pm
owieb

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It was actually Possoms who said that they did Bali themselves for $1,000, in his post earlier, not Kong. (Post no 82) I must admit though that I haven't seen it for less than $700 per person for a long time.
Yeah I know, I was replying to (quoted) their post #92 where they critised kong for daring to suggest that $1000 was a lot of money to people who live and work in Australia.

My point (and kongs as I read it) is that $1000 is a lot of money if you earn dollars, whatever you spend it on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.